English Shops ???

Started by manjon, July 06, 2014, 22:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizzie1201

Yes they also run TC's,and how long after 2pm she will be there for I don't  really know( maybe a couple of hours).
Does it really matter? They are open 10.30 2 pm
Liz

jodee

is that because she also owns/runs TC's or goes across for a coffee or something?
and how long after 2pm are we talking here?

you're correct service is what it's called, just wondered how far it goes
:clap:
I only drink to make other people seem more interesting.

Lizzie1201

Called into Eurowise today and Cath is open every Sunday 10.30-2 pm,
She also said if anyone was desperate for anything after 2pm then they
should call across the road to TC's and she would open up the shop for them.
Now that is straight from the horses mouth and what I call service.
Liz

manjon

Living The Dream - Dave

No we didn't and my life was hell for the rest of the day. Pregnant woman, hormones raging = One unhappy mummy. ha ha ha Thanks for asking, after reading all the comments I really must make her sort herself out and only ask for the cravings on the other 6 days.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zilnor

Webe
you are right about Sunday traffic. A couple of years ago we drove towards Leicester Square ( London, for you Northerners !) and the traffic was as bad as a week day. I think the Sunday shops opening had a lot to do with it. No we were not going shopping . :wave

webejamin

The only thing about it all, is that it's harder for the emergency services to get around on a Sunday, with all the roads chocker block. I went to Southend  sometimes in the winter to watch my Grandson playing football, always on a Sunday. You couldn't move on the A13 or the A127 and it was all to do with shopping, it's like a madness.
I liked it better in the old days when there were less people around, less cars, less public transport on a Sunday, shops were shut, :o. Where oh where are we heading? they even treat me like a potential threat in my own country >:( Something's gone wrong in the UK :'( count your blessings in Spain, shops open or not :tiphat:   

zilnor

Can't see what the fuss is about re Sunday opening. Hospitals, police stations, fire stations etc etc have to be open and staffed 24/7 . Bars and restaurants would not want to lose Sunday business. So what makes shops different ? I person ally have no wish to shop on a Sunday but it is reassuring to know you can buy a forgotten item. Example, I was cooking roast lamb for a family get together and at 1pm realised I had no mint sauce. So I'm indoors made a quick trip to Tesco and bought the neccessary item. If we had been in Spain he would have gone to one of the English shops in -Albox. Our family love mint sauce with our lamb !  :wave

living the dream

Manjon

No body else seems to have asked 

Did you get the spice you needed   :wave

Its been bothering me all week    ???

regards  Dave :tiphat:

Tetley

Quote from: hartcjhart on July 10, 2014, 03:38:24 AM
Jeez have you lot not got anything better to do? if a shop opens sunday and they make money good on them NOBODY is forcing them to do it

The point is................ a lot are forced to do it,because if your compaticions open then you have to be so you dont loose market share ,if sunday trading is banded EU Wide buisness owners & staff get a level playing feild family/me time day off.

as for all this UK  retail park madness ,yer can quite see why the UK  is number 2 in the world for the highest personal debt levels..........................were people are buying stuff they dont need and it ends up on e bay some time later when the next even more super dooper model comes out... ka ching !

morning citizens  :tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

hartcjhart

Jeez have you lot not got anything better to do? if a shop opens sunday and they make money good on them NOBODY is forcing them to do it

lindablyth32

Nowt wrong with working o a Sunday.just tell me when you want a patio or wall doing and I will be round to start on the day of rest.

Tetley

bryns
im just sat here with a vino after a hard day in the nerve centre wiring 3 phase motors into delta from star and fitting a vfd unit,this time next week wi will have flanges & grommits in abundance  8)  ,plus jnrs home from the loonaversirty coal face next week so i can always get him to open up on sundays.... ;D
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

bobthelook

Quote from: byrney on July 09, 2014, 23:29:42 PM
I'm sure if you were working on one of you heath robinsons on a Sunday and suddenly found you needed a new flange grommet, you wouldn't be averse to popping into your newly opened flange grommet shop ;)
If you were making a heath robinson thingymajig in the first place then I am sure that you would be able to source a flange grommet from your abundant supply of miscellaneous widgets that are stored somewhere in the corner of your potting shed, surely? Without resorting to jumping on the old tandem  to get to the shops? ;)
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

byrney

I'm sure if you were working on one of you heath robinsons on a Sunday and suddenly found you needed a new flange grommet, you wouldn't be averse to popping into your newly opened flange grommet shop ;)

Tetley

Well to be fair..... if yer all sat on yer Harrison fords all week and carnt get yer shopping job organised within 6 days  bearing in mind yev got bxggxer all else to do been retired yer must be doing somthing wrong..... :whistle:

get the gray matter working and get yer job organised................ ;D

;)

byrney

Of course we can all shop for six days as you say nibbler.  But, if they are open, and you want something, why would you not use them - unless, of course you were deeply religious and believe that Sunday is the day of rest.

nibbler

Why is it that everyone wants shops to open on a Sunday. you can shop 6days a week is that not enough. People need a bit of time off especially in the summer.
Why not get yourselves organised and you may not need Sunday opening.
Nibbler :tiphat:

webejamin

Your opinion BTL is exactly how it is, Sunday is worse than most days between 9am and 5pm. In the week it all dies down after rush hour, but not on a Sunday. :tiphat:

bobthelook

The roads are heaving in the Uk on Sundays, shopping centres especially factory outlet types are heaving also. Sundays could well be busier than Saturdays in fact - not much in it!  There are no quiet days on the roads - especially 3 hours in the morning and three hours rush 'hour' in the afternoon. Motorways are horrendous three lanes choca -  nose to tail - Fridays are a nightmare!  The Spanish roads are wonderfully quiet and Sundays are peaceful too - long may it continue. As for the little shops that want to open if its worthwhile for them good for them. I used to support Sunday opening in the UK but in  retrospect I now feel that it was not a good idea. Having worked in retail for many years  when Sunday trading became legal it was optional to work at double time then  new recruits had to do it for single time then everyone had to - now it's another mad shopping day and retail workers  suffer with not being able to have family days, or weekend hobbies etc. Sunday business initially boomed but sales were lost during the week especially on Saturdays. The UK is busy busy busy and it's nice to spend time in Spain where its much more peaceful with less stress -MHO only of course.  :)
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

mercab

Where is it I have been to have a look but can't find it are you sure you have the name right

fernlea

There is the open all hours shop (24 hrs x7) just pass Eurowise coming from Mercadona as the road goes into a single lane, so people that work ALL hours to suit their employer could shop there ?

musicdonna

Quote from: PuffTheMagicDragon on July 09, 2014, 09:46:27 AM
I'm with you Donna on this, although I'm no way religious, I'd like one day that isn't a 'commercial' day. Of course I also sympathies with Clare and anyone else that works and has difficulty getting supplies through the week.
On another point, surly we're talking about British shops, as opposed to "English" shops.... Is there room in the bunker for one more, Donna?

Puff

Come on down, Puff.  Bring the coffee flask!

mercab

Exporting the uk work practices where does this come from you are saying nowhere was open until the Brits came.Also what is so special about shop workers there is hundreds of thousands of people who work Sundays would you like them not to as well,if they did stop I would love to see peoples faces who think Sundays should be a day of rest.

Queen Clare Shirley

If you take a look, they open on Sundays in big areas when they are allowed to, we get a list every year that tells us when we can open on sundays or fiestas. I like it that way. I like the fact the big shopping centre open sundays just before christmas so we can go shopping. I like that certain fiestas we can go shopping. But I also like the fact that Sundays everything is closed. I would prefer it to continue as it
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

musicdonna

I really see your point, Clare, but re. the Sunday question: would you want  Sunday Trading it legitimised, or is the current Spanish law there to protect something that is worth protecting? The "freedom of choice" argument is not as straight-forward as it seems.

Queen Clare Shirley

I have that now, if we open late I have to work it no questions asked, we do a weekend market I have to work no questions asked, if we do el noche en blanco I work it, no extra money its just done. Soo its already there, Do I get four weeks off a year, No, No I don't do I complain, No because there are people queueing up for my job!! And taking it to the tribunal wont help either so I just lump it

musicdonna

Quote from: mercab on July 09, 2014, 09:37:47 AM
Surly it should be freedom of choice if they want to open or not nobody has suggested that they should all open.Sunday closing was only enforced in the uk because of the church and the misguided belief about Sundays.If you do not want to shop on Sundays don't but some people do.

Okay... but does the "freedom of choice" which gives me the option of buying something on a Sunday extend to those who as a result will have to work on a Sunday, or risk losing their jobs, as happened in the UK?  I look at family life here in Spain, and I look at it in the UK, and I'm not sure if we're really in a moral position to export our work practices.

PuffTheMagicDragon

I'm with you Donna on this, although I'm no way religious, I'd like one day that isn't a 'commercial' day. Of course I also sympathies with Clare and anyone else that works and has difficulty getting supplies through the week.
On another point, surly we're talking about British shops, as opposed to "English" shops.... Is there room in the bunker for one more, Donna?

Puff

Queen Clare Shirley

there are many little disguised shops that open 9-2 on Sundays in many villages, Fines has a few taking advantage of the market. This comes from them only buying the necessary for a couple of days thus introducing the opening of shops on Sunday it has always been done and will continue till the tradition dies out.

When we first arrived in Albanchez, Sunday mornings the shop would open and shut for mass but just enough time for people to get their few bits.
they also used to buy on tick, then they would come up on payday and liquidate it

Pretty most little villages will open on sundays and holidays mornings. I agree I don't want supermarkets open on Sunday or shops I like seeing Albox deserted on Sunday, like a ghost town in summer as everyone has gone off to the beach. But I dont see opening Sunday mornings a problem they have done it for the last who knows how many years

jimmybeen

Quote from: sandy b on July 08, 2014, 14:57:13 PM
You say other people will agree with you Sherbert about going back to UK if you want shops to open Sundays. I can't see ANYONE so far that's agreed with you.
Sandy
:clap:
I, like most, am very pleased that there is the option to get a few bits on a Sunday if needed, and am grateful for the info in this thread about where to go.  

mercab

Surly it should be freedom of choice if they want to open or not nobody has suggested that they should all open.Sunday closing was only enforced in the uk because of the church and the misguided belief about Sundays.If you do not want to shop on Sundays don't but some people do.

musicdonna

Sunday in Spain is a family day.  It's seen as special, and I might be in the minority here (and I await the flack that will surely come) but I hope it's kept that way for as long as possible. With the supermarkets open all day until 10pm, surely, surely that's enough?!  Maybe the Spanish have got their priorities right and we (the foreigners/ immigrants/ extranjeros) could learn a thing or two from them.

Right, into my bunker...!

Donna

Queen Clare Shirley

I work all week and so does my husband, its not always easy to pop out and get something from the English shops which is why we are grateful they open on a Sunday morning, especially if you need something urgently that you may have forgotten. There is a small spanish shop open Sunday morning by suicide corner she sells a bit of meat, some veg and tinned goods. Again if we need something we can pop in there, its easier now we can drive but before it was very difficult to run out to the shops time to get the things we needed.

mercab

Manjon I would give up on this one you asked a sensible question and it has finished quite stupid really.Go back to England ect what has the majority of replies got to do with why the English shops are not open.As Karen says once we get taken over it will be shops open 24/7 be unable to buy some kinds of meat though and I will miss my bacon

alboxspain

Congratulations manjon another grandchild on the way how exciting.