Holiday Season Advice

Started by Babyboomer, June 22, 2015, 14:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babyboomer

Quote from: byrney on June 25, 2015, 17:48:06 PM
Sorry BB, I do not want to denigrate the work that you / NHW do, but the advice you give is valid for every holiday destination in the World from Blackpool to Cancun.

I just have a general worry that, whether it be illegal builds, crime, disease or whatever, the Region is being constantly painted as the place from hell to come to,  when in reality that is absolutely not the case.

Could not agree more with you Byrney.

Spain is, as overall package, premier league whilst unfortunately the UK is slipping into the 3rd division.

Do not get me wrong I still love the UK but it is definately not as nice a place to live today (literally anywhere in UK) that it was 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.
Mark Drew email:mark1drew at gmail.com El Prado, Arboleas.

byrney

Sorry BB, I do not want to denigrate the work that you / NHW do, but the advice you give is valid for every holiday destination in the World from Blackpool to Cancun.

I just have a general worry that, whether it be illegal builds, crime, disease or whatever, the Region is being constantly painted as the place from hell to come to,  when in reality that is absolutely not the case.

Babyboomer

Quote from: byrney on June 22, 2015, 16:54:04 PM
Wow. It's enough to put anyone off from coming here on holiday!

Byrney - going OTT no?
I did preamble the advisory saying we are a relatively low crime region but unfortunately visitors are more often than not the victims.
Experienced ex-pats are not immune though, I know of a lead Neighbourhood Watch coordinator who had her purse taken whilst sat at a bar.
Incidently holiday destinations and tourists are more often crime hot spots.

byrney

Wow. It's enough to put anyone off from coming here on holiday!

Babyboomer

Quote from: byrney on June 22, 2015, 15:04:43 PM
Sound and timely advice BB.  Unfortunately, not all visitors will access the Forum.

I wonder whether NHW has had discussions with the Car Hire Companies at our three main airports to see whether they'd be prepared to give out some sort of leaflet to each customer providing them with the information in your post?  Although they'd probably refuse to advise them to remove their adverts!

I have advised Arboleas NW members to share this advisory with their holiday visitors.

The Madrid British embassy had discussions together with the police with the car hire companies so they are aware of the request. This was based on the large number of thefts at main airports in Spain when literally tens of passports and the like have been stolen, along with luggage, money, handbags etc from hire cars.
Alicante is the main airport suffering but else where in the costas hire cars have been broken into for possessions.

Some of this information I took from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office web site earlier this year.
See www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain for current advice that is majoring on deaths from balony jumps and terrorism.

byrney

Sound and timely advice BB.  Unfortunately, not all visitors will access the Forum.

I wonder whether NHW has had discussions with the Car Hire Companies at our three main airports to see whether they'd be prepared to give out some sort of leaflet to each customer providing them with the information in your post?  Although they'd probably refuse to advise them to remove their adverts!

Babyboomer

We are fortunate in having relatively low rates of crime in the area, however it seems when people are on holiday common sense is left at home - precautions normally taken at home are not thought to apply in the carefree holiday scene.

Hire car stickers
      Remove from the rear window of your hire car the hire car company sticker. It is advertising that you are a visitor and probably unfamiliar with the area.

Holiday homes are targets
      Even when sat in the garden or on the patio do not leave front or side doors unlocked and never leave any door or rejars unlocked when you leave the villa.

Money/documents/valuables
      Check your wallet/purse/handbag and only take with you the bank or credit cards  and the cash that you will be using.
Do not carry irreplaceable valuable/precious items, photos, jewelry or documents with you when you go out. Best left at home.

Distraction thefts
      This is a regular issue at markets, fiestas, large supermarkets or on the beach. One or two people distract you with a question and a third person steals apurse, handbag, wallet or anything they think is valuable. This even happens when sat in a restaurant or bar.

Pickpockets
       Like distraction thefts they normally operate as team in shops, on the street, petrol stations or at the airport as you leave. 80% of lost passports in Spain occur at airport or on the street..

Debit/credit card scams
       Spain is not immune to the types of scams and frauds that occur regularly in other countries inEurope. Skimming card details for example. Never ever let you credit/debit card out of your sight - go with it to the cashiers desk. Never leave you card behind the bar (a regular thing in the UK).
This list is not exhaustive but related to incidents that have occurred in the blast year.

Casual Callers
     When you are at home do not open your door, portal or access to urbanizations to unknown people, as this jeopardizes your safety and that of your neighbours. Be wary of who comes to your home to sell you something, representing associations or aid agencies, or alleged utility workers (electricity, water, telephone, gas) that you have not previously requested or arranged an appointment.

The police advise people to always lock doors and windows, even the door to the basement or garage and the courtyard or gates into the garden. It is probably a bad idea to pull down window blinds/shutters completely, leave some partially open with a lamp on a timer if out at night. Also never leave valuables out in the open, they say. If possible, people should keep them locked in a safe or put them in a place where they are more difficult for burglars to see (inside case or on top of wardrobe). Often an open window is used to hook valuables and steal them. Lock doors and close windows at night.

Should holidaymakers find burglars in their property upon returning home, Spanish authorities warn strongly against confronting them. It is best to ask for help and call the police.  If you have been robbed at home, stay calm and do not enter the house or touch or move anything that may have been manipulated by thieves and immediately advise the police or Guardia Civil.

Please report any incidents or unusual activities you observe. These reports are welcomed by the local police. Obviously if urgent call the police direct otherwise  call in to the local police station in Arboleas Local Policia Number: 609456679 or Guardia 112

Tourists can report complaints in English by dialling 902 102 112 From 9 a.m to 9 p.m (Monday to Sunday)

Arboleas eighbourhood Watch Web Site   http://www.arboleasnws.com/   multi-lingual