Yorkshire Day

Started by PuffTheMagicDragon, August 01, 2012, 06:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuffTheMagicDragon

Yes it is in the UK, it's Yorkshire, check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Own_Country Scroll down to Yorkshire.
And it can be 'Country or County'.

Puff

p2une

Missed it again, damn!  Still, better late than never - HAPPY BELATED YORKSHIRE DAY to every Yorkshire man and woman!!

And you're right, CT, it is 'God's own County', not country.  Been away from there for over forty years, but I'm still a Yorkshire girl!
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most

musicdonna

Astonmartin.... interesting!  -Christians actually believe Jesus is God, not merely the son of God, or a prophet.

Yes, I think we can agree that God's own country is in the UK somewhere! 

Donna

Norm2

Can we all agree that's it's the UK - just to be non-contraversial - so to speak?

ken

Only the living suffer

Norm2

Still believe it's Wales!!!

astonmartin

Sorry Fred, I do like your posts but religion has always been a method of controlling the masses, and, I'm sorry to say. It still is. Even Hitler used it for his campaign. The Bible is a good novel full of wars,sex. abuse and all sorts of the stuff that good books contain. Only christians believe that Jesus was the son of God, to a Muslim he was the first Prophet and Mohammed was the second and last Prophet and he stated that "there will be No More" after him.

Its the people in your so called Gods country that make it so called God's country not God.    Ithink I 've gone too far off track, sorry!!

musicdonna

Duffs- "...but to believe in religion, any religion, is backward." - A tad arrogant, perhaps?!  Keeping an open mind is possibly a better option....

Sorry, off-topic.  I'm still rooting for Cumbria- God's/Supreme Being's/Intelligent Designer's Own Country!!!

Donna x

footy

Beautiful, healthy, happy Yorkshire - nothing like the Dales in the whole of the country.  LOVE Leeds too!

loafer

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it  :) - some famous atheists have become Christians.

Duffs

Sheriff

Sorry if I come across as arrogant. But all I see in religion is wars. It appears to me that most of the major wars in this world have been carried out in the name of some religion or another. 'My god is better than yours'.

I can see that religion, any, can be a guide to how you might lead your life, but to believe that the universe was created by a 'god' is beyond me.

Anyway, that's off topic. I am not a cockney, I was born in North London (Arsenal territory), not in the sound of Bow Bells. I did however work in Bow for a number of years.

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Duffs,

Yes I have heard of Darwin who was also a Christian / and Science and I hope I have a lot of commonsense -    if believing in Religion is Backward 

I would much prefer to be backward than an arrogant Cockney which you seem to  come across as ????
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

temasek

My message did not post properly and its too hot anyway!!!!
Except well said Fred.
W.R.L.F.C.

Duffs

Sorry Sheriff, I have a lot of respect for you with your helpful advice and assistance you provide on this forum, but to believe in religion, any religion, is backward. Have you not heard of Darwin or Science, or just plain common sense. And I am not trying to upset people just making a point.

As for Yorkshire - thats north of Watford and doesn't count! In any case most people born there have moved south, some to Spain. If it was so good you would have stayed there.

Norm2

Wow to all this theorising about the universe and eco-systems but I still think it's Wales and not Yorkshire. But hey everyone have a good day!!!

gus-lopez

Along with the Dodo many other of the endemic species of Mauritius became extinct after the arrival of man, so the ecosystem of the island is heavily damaged, and hard to reconstruct. Before humans arrived, Mauritius was entirely covered in forests, but very little remains today due to deforestation.

Wasps are predatory & keep the insects down on agricultural produce. A lack of them would decimate cereal production & lead to a food shortage within a short time.
Slugs have a role to play as many species eat dead & decaying plant material allowing new growth & fertilisation. Other types prey on other slugs & snails & also normally eat carrion. They are the dustmen of the ecosystem.

Blue Moon

So what happened when we removed dodos a few hundred years ago?

gus-lopez

Quote from: Blue Moon on August 02, 2012, 10:18:18 AM
Why would any supreme being create creatures such as wasps and slugs?

Everything has a purpose. It may not appear so but remove them & eventually problems will occur.

Blue Moon

Why would any supreme being create creatures such as wasps and slugs?

musicdonna

Sherrif, brilliantly put!  Have you read The Dawkins Delusion?

Donna

... and anyway, God's own country is so obviously Cumbria.

CT

I thought the phrase was ''God's own county'' :clap:

ianv

Morning Fred,
A challenge indeed, Einstien once was wrongly creditted with proving the extistence of God, see link http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/religion/a/einstein_god_2.htm but even this theory was fatally flawed, in truth it matters not whether one believes or not, because as with all worldwide religions it all comes down to personal faith. If everything was created by a supreme being then who created the supreme being? I think if the top brains cannot prove or disprove then my humble cerebrum has no chance.

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Ianv,

This marvelous place we live in called the Universe had to be created by a Supreme being of some kind working to a plan.

Everything fits in place to well for it to have been a Lucky accident.

Every Race in the World believes in a God of their choosing - and believers in a God far outnumber the disbelievers.

It is not up to the believers to prove there is a God - it is up to the non - believers to prove there is not one.

The Ball's in your Court  !!!!!!
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Oh dear, we appear to have a few disbelievers.....How could you possibly doubt my word..............I'm a Yorkshireman :angel:

Thanks for joining in guys, hope you all enjoyed your Yorkshire day :tiphat:

Puff

olly

Sorry neighbours. I did'nt mean it really. Hope your having a great day.
Heres one just for you.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

olly

Don't know about a tax haven, but I I believe it's well known for it's "puddings".
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

sleepy john

Since when has Yorkshire been a country. Is it a tax haven.

Norm2

Quote from: ianv on August 01, 2012, 18:58:01 PM
"Gods own country"
Can anyone prove to me please that there is actually a God? and if so where is his country?
Answer to question 1    No
Answer to question 2    Wales by adoption

ianv

"Gods own country"
Can anyone prove to me please that there is actually a God? and if so where is his country?

Norm2

Quote from: PuffTheMagicDragon on August 01, 2012, 13:42:01 PM
CT  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyke

dafydd51  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Own_Country

Puff :tiphat:
How much can we rely upon wikipedia definitions?? I think I read somewhere that it's possible to amend entries on wikipedia to suit your own ends. I'm not suggesting those honest hardworking Yorkshire types would do this but surely God's own country does refer to Wales not Yorkshire.

fergie

Can't wait for your contribution Fred, celebrating hard I hope.

dafydd51

Actually "God's own Country" is Wales.

Dafydd

fergie

Always thought that Yorkshire folk have this inferiority complex as they have to constantly remind themselves that they are from t'Yorkshire. (Only joking, all 'reet?).

PuffTheMagicDragon

Well, we invite everyone to join in with our celebrations, and in return, we get insults.
Must be a reflection on these peoples up bringing :head

Puff