Not fast enough

Started by Surveyor, November 14, 2019, 18:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surveyor

Hello Tetley

and thanks for the words of encouragement (I need them) because I was a bit put out after being so slow however, I have made some improvements for next time and will certainly get to the destination, even if I have no-one to follow.
One reason I like my scrambler is because it has a really comfortable riding position which is really good for my back and knees. I have ordered some new riding gear because I feel the cold these days and I have spent today sorting out a replacement GPS with sound to my helmet so I only need to remember to enter the destination.
Other improvements will take a little longer but are on order! and hopefully there will be less wind next Thursday.  :grin:

Tetley

Well done,it don't matter what yer ride as long as yer ride,i had my happiest days on a petrol/ paraffin giz a job,Honda 50 in 1981 ie young / unemployed ,and it was a lot more comfy than mi current rocket ships ,i can't even bend mi legs on   :wink:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Surveyor

Hello Gentlemen (and the Harley Lady)

This is Sid Fisher who you made to feel welcome this morning at the Mora Oil garage.
Although I did not manage to keep up, I did have a successful day because I met some serious and experienced bikers and I have now joined the forum so as to be able to let you all know what happened this morning.
Main problem, only 15hp ! and a motorway with a very strong head wind is the worst possible scenario for my scrambler. It was only when you were all going out of sight up ahead that I realised I had not made a note of the destination and then I remembered that I had forgotten to bring my GPS so there was little point in continuing.
Disappointing in one respect but I learned a few things today and I look forward to meeting you all again next week?

By way of introduction may I say a little about myself so you have some idea about this fellow who would like to join you again.
Age 78 and we have lived in Spain for about 10 years. Had a 7 hour triple heart bypass in Granada about 6 years ago and a complication during the op has caused my short term memory to become very bad. Deaf on the left side as well thus it makes group conversation and remembering names very difficult, but I can remember bikes because the visual input registration is much more powerful (thank goodness).

First bike was a 500cc Norton 16H at age 15, then a Triumph 110, then had a Tiger 100 (500cc) with splayed head and twin carbs and then a Norton Dominator at age 17.
Fell off the Dominator 4 times in a row on the same corner but then took my car test and got a car and never bothered to take the full motorbike test.
Sixty years later and I wish I had, because doing the theory test in Spanish has proved to be impossible for me and I am therefore limited to 125cc however, the Yamaha engine in my Fantic is right on the legal limit but is also quite easily upgraded, so plenty of potential!
Since my heart op I am unable to go on the long walks I used to enjoy and cycling is also very difficult for me so 4 years ago I bought a Suzuki VanVan 125 dual sport and I use it for exploring the dirt tracks which are so abundant out here.

When younger I earned a living as a race mechanic working on E-Type Jags and Aston Martins so I know a little about engines and have always done my own maintenance.

Motorbikes are now a big part of my life but having ridden solo for the last 4 years it would be much more pleasant to be able to ride in company - providing I can keep up !

Sid  ::)