Whats the best bike you have ever owned ?

Started by Tetley, July 09, 2013, 14:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetley

yer i had the gsxr 600 but yer carnt ride em slow as yer wrists drop off and there to manik to ride fast  ;)

i liked mi late 90,s cbr 600 a lot more civalised to ride than mi rrw blade.

id like a harley 883 if ever i get all mi projects finished as this arse in the air stuff is just to fast for mi now.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

minettjean

Been riding since age 17 but never get any better!Started off with a Honda plastic and had several CB250/360s.Then I hit a deer on my way to work in Thetford forest(oh dear!) and it hurt...so I gave up for 12 years.Lately I have had a Honda 750 cruiser,Honda 500 and then went into a midlife crisis and bought a Suzuki 650GSXR...because it looked lovely in the showroom.I struggled to ride it home and decided that I was too old to get into that position...felt as though I was doing a handstand. Now I'm back to comfort on a Dragstar...only if the sun's shining though.Still not bad for a 58yr old bird!

Tetley

Ar the old Jota what a wonderfull peice of kit and in its day another superbike .... splendid   :tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

shirtsleeve

Cor wot a cracking subject youve got going Steve, just read through the posts and had meself a grand trip down memory lane. I cant remember all the bikes Ive had, most of em were a load of crap. But with out a doubt my favorite of all time has to be 1972 Laverda Jota that I bought for 700quid and it came in a couple of boxes, after a friend had rebuilt it for me it turned out to be a real belter. Wish I never had sold it. Happy days.

musicdonna

My only and therefore I suspect my best bike was a Flandria which is, I think, a Belgium make.  It had a two stroke engine and never mixed the fuel properly so always had to be cleaned after filling up.  It broke down regularly, but on the odd occasion it ran well I rode it to work over the south Downs where it would easily reach 40 mph downhill with the wind behind me...!  Thrilling.

frontera

Quote from: Tetley on July 09, 2013, 14:01:04 PM
ive had all the scarry stuff,still got an R1 & TLR  1000 r back in the motherland,i luved my new rrw 98 blade and mi 99 cbr 600,i built an honda 750 ko 4 but didnt like it as it road like a 4 poster bed and swooped it for a gsxr 600

but  my fave bike was mi 71 drum brake pea shooter exaust comando ,handled nice,pulled like a train,sounded wonderfull,wish id kept it.

my most memorable bike was a 500 side valve 1915 belt drive,foot clutch Arial and side car with my young kid in the chair going through town with him aged abought 4 with a lid on with them sticky bear ears on his lid,waving his plastic sorwd at people.

happy days  :tiphat:

Tetley

Quote from: cantabrian on July 19, 2013, 18:16:02 PM
THE best bike for me will always be a 500 DBD Goldstar ,i sold it for 120 quid !!!! The first wife was almost dropping IT!! I Dealt in bikes in the 60s ,so rode many AND threw a few down the road (and track !) I Had a works engine  (t100 ) that was actually used by Ernie Lyons ,(500cc )Spayed head,all alloy , coupled to a rrt2 box in a wide featherbed,engine tipped    forward about 30 degrees ,moved the pipe in the sump to compensate for difference ETC ,ETC ,it was very sad that the UK never realised what the japs were up too with their rice rockets ,WE could have still been leading the BIKING world NOW!!!!!!

Yes fire from the east,still love to hear those goldies and matchles & AJs flying around the manx gp tho  :)

cantabrian

THE best bike for me will always be a 500 DBD Goldstar ,i sold it for 120 quid !!!! The first wife was almost dropping IT!! I Dealt in bikes in the 60s ,so rode many AND threw a few down the road (and track !) I Had a works engine  (t100 ) that was actually used by Ernie Lyons ,(500cc )Spayed head,all alloy , coupled to a rrt2 box in a wide featherbed,engine tipped    forward about 30 degrees ,moved the pipe in the sump to compensate for difference ETC ,ETC ,it was very sad that the UK never realised what the japs were up too with their rice rockets ,WE could have still been leading the BIKING world NOW!!!!!!

rockymo

Dunno realy got banned driving my Corgi when I was 0nly 15?? Loved THEM ALL Sun Bantoms Couple of scooters my rigid 3t and T100 (1955) T110 was faster top wack than my 61 pre unit Bonny bloody Honda lost me a leg  all history now Trike gave me a new look on life so it wins
ROCKY  See you all further down the road (mobility scooter!!!!!)

Tetley

Yer nice bike them trumphs,my friend tests here and he tested the new bonni whent it came out and he said it was a real nice bike,he also tested the new blade and bmw 1000,s and said they were just GP bikes with lights  ;D

id fancy one of the early modern tridents to put away if one came up,there on ebay around 700 quid now and then,i recon they will e a feture classic

i also rember the 2003 TT  and the Valmoto trumph 600 put in a real good show on the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-psU7ggQsE

rf9rider

Best bike i`ve ever owned is my current one, a 95 Triumph Tiger.

Had a few superbikes in my youth, Fireblade, YZF750, RF900, Thunderace, a street legal CRM250, a few others i`ve forgoten about, the only one i wished i`d kept was a Suzuki GT750 (kettle), worth a bit today.

Here`s the Tiger.

Tetley

Yer i got back into bikeing in 1994 with a c1 gpz600r and that had to be modded at the dealer with a carb de ice kit,i run an old gpx600 here and that had the carb ice pipes on from the rad but i left them off when i did the motor and up to now its been good,ive also fitted the bike with forward pegs and padded seat so its like a 130 mph Harley on speed  ;D plus its cheap biking ie 50 rt,150 ins and itv 25 every 2 years.... splendid  ;)

Carol
ref if only we new then... i had a friend hom collected old Brit Bikes in the 70,s when people were scrapping them,he ended up with bikes all over the house,he died a couple of years ago and left a very high value collection, i used to go into the shop if id had a good week to buy something,my opening shot used to be    na then Don have you got anything old and intresting in.... to wich he would reply..... yes only me dear  :)  happy days
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinkersworld/sets/72157622512473244/

JohnH

Worked out I've had 19 bikes since the first one in 1973. Couldn't afford a Z900, so bought a Z750 in 1976. That was probably the worst. It suffered
dreadful carb icing, in all but the sunniest, warmest weather.
The best would probably be the Kawasaki ZRX1200s, that I had around 2001. It wasn't the prettiest machine but it was fast, handled well and had so
much grunt, you could accelerate from 20mph to beyond twice the National speed limit in top gear. Currently riding out every Monday with the group here
on my Cruiser, I'd love another one. The roads around this region are motorcycling heaven.

John

Alcar

ooohhhh Tetley to only be able to go back to that time and know what we know now!!!!!!!   I remember my dad saying that bike would buy you a house or go a long way towards it, but my husband loved it, I think I only ever got on it when I was too numb to remember anything, I was terrified to death of it and him being on it lol  was far bigger than he was hahahahaha

Regards
Carol

Tetley

oow in 1976 the kwak 900 was the super bike of the day,when we were apprentices one of the young welders bought one and i rember his forman warning him to ride it properly...... :o the forman owned an A10 bsa with side car both bikes now are a safer et than any bank  :)

happy days   infact looking back probaly the best decade for bikes,queen,free, deep purple,the stones motown,beer kellers,30 quid a week and care free living  :)

Alcar

I have never owned or driven a bike of any description, but my new husband owned a Kawasaki 900 which was one of the biggest bikes at the time ( 1976 ) I only just remember being on the back of it in an evening dress after an evening out and being absolutely p....d holding onto him and falling asleep, he deftly dumped me in my grandmothers rockery ( we where living with her at the time ) and went to get himself a Chinese

Happy days,  they certainly where !!!!!!! lol

Carol

Tetley

Quote from: nicki on July 18, 2013, 23:02:18 PM
Well on Sat I and my son take our CBT test on our new Suzuki EN 125, I have been out on the road tonight for the first time and it was scary for me!!! but I am 46 yrs old and first time on a motorbike... I love being on the back of Johns R6.... he can go as fast as he like, love every minute of it! Never too old to try something new :D

Good luck kids and safe riding  :)   :tiphat:

ps Nicki your braver than i am,ie co pilot on an R6  :lol:

nicki

Well on Sat I and my son take our CBT test on our new Suzuki EN 125, I have been out on the road tonight for the first time and it was scary for me!!! but I am 46 yrs old and first time on a motorbike... I love being on the back of Johns R6.... he can go as fast as he like, love every minute of it! Never too old to try something new :D

brucie1

my first bike was A COTTON CONtinental 250 CAFE RACER SECOND WAS a t110 triumph 650 whih i loved but if im honest my favorite bikes which i got rid of  when we moved to spain were a bmw k100rs if i had to carry pillion and a BMW K1 if i was let loose on my own  HAPPY DAYS

Tetley

Quote from: Cheese on July 18, 2013, 17:56:22 PM
I have had a lot of very good bikes over the 40 Years riding, but I can honestly say my worst bike has to be was my MV Augusta.

just out of intrest wich MV did you have ? i like mi classic italian stuff i have a couple of 50,s Gileras and Duks ,160,175,250 smallies in the motherland,i always fancied the modern red & silver MV f4.

awaywiththefairies

I learned on a Ural with sidecar, it was lhd as well  ::) , my boyfriend at the time 'conned' me into believing it was easier than two wheels.  I never managed to start it on my own having ask total  strangers for help.  Did  however manage to negotiate turning, unlike one of his mates who later wrote it off tipping it into a ditch.  ;D

Cheese

I have had a lot of very good bikes over the 40 Years riding, but I can honestly say my worst bike has to be was my MV Augusta.

tonybee

Honda Deauville 650 when they first came out great bike for touring went all over, toured Ireland used in all weather's would have another one tomorrow can't say i have seen any for sale in a long time.

frontera

my fav bike i have ever haed was my 2001 kawasaki kx250 motocross bike

Tetley

some of you chaps are on dicey ground  ;D

ive got on of these in mi mams loft in boxes in the motherland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqAq1lICdk

gi mi somthing to do ,if we all get Ukicked out this end   ;D

telcaz

My first bike was a "Sunbeam S8" shaft driven, 500 in line twin, this was in 1954, can't remember what year the bike was. 2nd, was a triumph tiger 80, with girder forks, (A step back). My last, was a BSA, Golden flash, 650 twin, then I got married, she was a better ride than any of the bikes, LOL.

Terry.
Just remembered, The Sunbeam Reg, "LOL547", not bad for a 76 year old, (Me not the bike).

owdoggy

This one:

Aprilia Mille 1000R Factory

Sometimes I didn't know if I should ride it or shag it ....... god I loved that bike :romance:

Doggy
p.s. Pic taken on the Gothard Pass, Switzerland

Tetley

Mi first bike was a raligh wisp  :o  8) the second was a raligh runabought wich we ported and manged to get 40 mph out off  :crazy:

the best laughf i had was when mi mate come storming up the drive on his suzuki gt500 twin stright down the pit,as he thought the pit cover boards were on and they were off   :lol:

Tetley

ive had all the scarry stuff,still got an R1 & TLR  1000 r back in the motherland,i luved my new rrw 98 blade and mi 99 cbr 600,i built an honda 750 ko 4 but didnt like it as it road like a 4 poster bed and swooped it for a gsxr 600

but  my fave bike was mi 71 drum brake pea shooter exaust comando ,handled nice,pulled like a train,sounded wonderfull,wish id kept it.

my most memorable bike was a 500 side valve 1915 belt drive,foot clutch Arial and side car with my young kid in the chair going through town with him aged abought 4 with a lid on with them sticky bear ears on his lid,waving his plastic sorwd at people.

happy days  :tiphat: