Main Menu

Spring stay at home birding

Started by twojaysalmeria, April 14, 2020, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twojaysalmeria

We have orioles calling here but they're being very camera shy. Now the weather's finally cheered up my morning ritual is to sit outside with a coffee, waiting for the sunrise while listening to the nightingales - we're so very lucky to be living here.

Angleseyite

Quote from: olly on May 06, 2020, 14:18:00 PM
Yesterday saw a Golden Oriole for the first time this year.
Perched on a neighbors telephone line, but, didn’t have time to get my camera out for a pic.
Beautiful bird though.

Just sat listening to all the birds wonderful, glad I'm not in an area with yapping dogs. Waiting for the squadrons of Swifts and Swallows etc to appear for their evening feed. .  :grin:

olly

Yesterday saw a Golden Oriole for the first time this year.
Perched on a neighbors telephone line, but, didn’t have time to get my camera out for a pic.
Beautiful bird though.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

twojaysalmeria

Hi - it's in Arboleas, the rambla area lying below Maloan's bar et al.

Yesterday had a golden eagle (first this year, here!) and this morning a grey heron, very low and sedate in its flight. All we need now is some sit-outside weather...

DLMcN

J&J - is that in Arboleas? - or elsewhere?

twojaysalmeria

With the quietude comes more bird song - I'm lucky enough to have an outside space where I can see across the rambla and to the distant hills as I sit with my early morning coffee.

Happy to see:

Barn swallows, red-rumped swallows, swifts, house martins, bee-eaters, spotless starlings, jackdaws, kestrels, little owl, LOTS of house sparrows, hoopoes, robins, blackbirds, serins, greenfinches, blue and great tits, grey heron, cattle egrets, a cormorant (just the once), distant gulls (not sure which), sardinian warbler and lots more.

Heard but not seen - nightingale and, most excitingly for me - stone curlew!

How are you all doing from your gardens?

Oh yes, there seems to be a dearth of bats this Spring - is that just where I am or have you noticed a similar lack?

Regards All