Three Kings Celebrations

Started by Catanaccio, December 29, 2008, 12:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwichvics

Last year there was a superb firework display in front of the promenade at Garrucha when the 3 kings arrive by boat onto the quay. Can,t remember what  time it starts but I guess somewhere about 9:30-10:00pm. loads of sweets thrown about!

Casa Montes

Every year we celebrate Christmas day as our main present giving day and since both my girls were born here we take them along to a parade on the eve of the 5th (the last 3years we've stayed in the village), have a nice meal in the evning, leave 3 presents under the Christmas tree for opening on kings day (1 off each king) and they get plenty more on the 6th off our Spanish neighbours, its become part of their culture & upbringing in Spain.

Lianne
The purpose of our life is happiness: The Dalai Lama

Don't look down on people unless you are helping them up.

d j

so i have two children, i missed it last year because i didnt know much about the celebration so i would like to be there this year.how do i go about in joining in with the celebration, do i just turn up at la cinta at 6. i live on the arroyo acetuno road so do i just wait there  for the floats to come past. if anyway can share what they normally do for it, so i can get an idea of what happens, i would be very grateful.

yo_leviatan

Three kings day in Spain about three kings day

On 5 January Spain celebrates the end of Christmas with a great party where everybody gives and receives presents. It is to celebrate the arrival of the Three Wise Men - Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar - to the city where Jesus was born. In the same way that the Three Wise Men gave gifts to baby Christ, here they share out presents amongst children around Spain - in fact; they are more popular than Santa Claus.

There are lots of processions of the Three Wise Men in each city, the children go along with there parents to see the kings and receive sweets from them.

Before going to sleep, children put some milk and biscuits next to the Christmas tree for the Three Kings and some water for their camels. They also leave out their best pair of shoes to be filled with presents.

On the next day, 6 January children wake up and see how many presents they have received. If they have been good, they will find a lot of good presents but if they have been naughty they will find coal. These days, the coal is actually made of sugar, but some years ago it was real coal.

During this day, all families enjoy a piece of roscon (a sugar-frosted fruit-filled bread) for breakfast tradition says that the person who finds a novelty such as a coin, in his or her portion will have good luck for the next year.

Both young and old enjoy opening their presents on this day, but sadly it also marks the end of Christmas.
Taken from //http://www.spain4uk.co.uk/three_kings_day.htm
Nothing new under the Sun

judi bk

That's right
Bit like Christmas Eve

Mercurian

Have I got this right?  The 3 Kings processions are on Monday 5th but the bank holiday is Tuesday 6th January?

sandra

Has anyone got the details of the parade in Albox - where it starts, what time etc??

Many thanks.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Sandra

Casa Montes

The parades are held on Monday 5th, Albox & Garrucha both do good ones.

Los Reyes Magos arrive by boat in Garrucha.

Arboleas just have three floats with one of each of the kings and loads of local children that start up the arroyo Aceituna about 5pm (check with the town hall for where & when), gets to La Cinta about 6pm where they stop in front the church for 1/2 hour before eventually reaching the museum hours later.
You can take a gift to the town hall in advance for the kings to give to your child at the Arboleas museum.

Lianne

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9851
The purpose of our life is happiness: The Dalai Lama

Don't look down on people unless you are helping them up.

Catanaccio

Anyone know any good Three Kings celebrations locally?  I'd heard that Garrucha is normally good ... is that right?  And what night are they on ... is it Monday 5 January or Tuesday 6 January?  Many thanks.