Who are you Roger?

Started by ES, January 14, 2009, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beemer

Looks like an apology may be  necessary. please accept mine. :out

Roger

I don't mind if you think I am British or not, but I am.
Born in Bristol.
Educated at London University.
Worked in BAC in Bristol and Ferranti in Manchester.
Taught in Moss Side in Manchester.
Lived in Spain for 15 years.
And now I feel more at home here in Spain and have no desire to return to the UK.

What else can I do except send you a copy of my passport?

lenox

I agree - integration is the key to make a community work.
But not subservience. Equality!

andie

Quote from: "beemer"careful we dont all get rodgered  ...........................               doesnt write like a brit to me.
[/quote]

Does it really matter?.................. What exact qualifications do you need to be witing like a Brit? Looks like my hubby will get away with that statement  :wave

The original question directed at Roger was answered................very well explained might I add.
Andrea

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Roger I have sent you a  PM   please check.
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

Juliet P

Quote from: "beemer"careful we dont all get rodgered  ...........................               doesnt write like a brit to me.

Yes he does - he writes like a Brit who has lived in Spain for many years.

Probably what you're noticing is the tendency of bilingual people to use sentence structures that are valid in either language.

Juliet

beemer

careful we dont all get rodgered  ...........................               doesnt write like a brit to me.

casablanca

Hello Roger :idea: Continuous improvement is a thousand things, a thousand thousand things, each done a little bit better. :idea:

NormanM

Just to say well done, Roger!
From Normam

Karen4

Cl3880

Mercurian

Nice one Roger.   How nice to hear someone speaking positively and rooting for integration.  I have not been here anything like as long as you have but it sounds as though Arboleas has more of a chance of creating a good community than other areas I have read about.  I just love it here and I desperately want everything to work out well in the place I have chosen to spend the rest of my life.  

:dance  :dance

Queen Clare Shirley

ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

Karen4

To have one community everybody needs to speak the same language, both literally and metaphorically. Come on you English - learn Spanish! It's a start, isn't it?
Cl3880

colinspain

More power to your elbow Roger
Definition of politics."Poli" Greek for many. "tics" blood sucking insects.

Roger

Who am I?
A question I often wonder of others who post views and information on this site.
I do think it is useful to know at least where people live.

As for myself.
I do not work for the Town Hall nor do I have any financial links to it.

My name is Roger Done, born in Bristol, lived for many years in Manchester.
I came to Arboleas 11 years ago, from Valencia, when this area was very different; hardley any British here.

I have spent many years studying local history and culture, and with Arboleas now being 50% British, I am concerned less we have 2 communities living side by side, but apart.
I have seen this happen elsewhere in Spain and I do not think it is a good thing.

When I met the Mayor, Francisco, I saw a kind and genuine person who wanted an integrated community and was working hard for everyone, and I was therefore concerned when he nearly lost control at the last election.

I therefore joined the PSOE (the party in control of Arboleas and the Junta, where the money comes from to improve our town) and have been trying to help bring our communities together.
I try to keep in touch with what is happening in the Town Hall, although things have been very difficult during Francisco's long fight against cancer.
Altghough we could see it coming, his death still left me empty.
Remembering Angel, the acting mayor, in tears carrying the coffin from the Town Hall on Sunday .....

Anyway,
For some time I have been helping  Luis in the Museo publicise its events through the notice boards we have got erected.

I have been writing and translating material for the Town Hall Web Site which, for obvoius reasons has been delayed. The material is now ready to go on, hopefully it will soon be fully operational.

Although I am not directly involved in the current property registration I have kept I touch with what is happening.

I hope this answers the question, who am I.

My wish is for there to be ONE community in Arboleas, and that there is a way for everyone to have their views and needs considered.

ES

From thread;

Re: ARBOLEAS RESIDENTS / property registration
by TonyHarwin on 14 Jan 2009 09:56

Roger
Who are you and what do you have to do with the Town Hall??????

It would be useful if Roger told us His position in the grand scheme of things in the Arboleas Town Hall, as he seems to have inside information on all manor of topics to do with Town Hall matters.

Many thanks Roger, now over to you!
ES