? Satelite problem

Started by pugwash, February 14, 2014, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybeen

OK thanks for the reply 'sat', clearly this is not true then, wonderful how rumors get started and then spread like wildfire, I've heard it from three sources but now know it must be incorrect. 

sat

Quote from: jimmybeen on March 06, 2014, 21:26:06 PM
I heard today that a bunch of Brits on Gib have taken up a court case against the BBC or TV companies in the UK over the loss of satellite signal on Gibralter, I wonder if they had been paying a UK TV licence ? 

Well, if true, their lawyers should have advised them before they even started proceedings that as Gibraltar is NOT part of the UK, but an "overseas" territory", the UK broadcasters have no obligation to provide direct signals. Simple preparation before launching proceedings would have found this out!

jimmybeen

I heard today that a bunch of Brits on Gib have taken up a court case against the BBC or TV companies in the UK over the loss of satellite signal on Gibralter, I wonder if they had been paying a UK TV licence ? 

sat

Shame they have simply copied and pasted the information from http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html - with no credit back to the source they copied!

Roger

When I was there they all seemed to speak Spanish anyway,
so they probably are happy with Spanish TV

Stowaway

May be this is true, but how are our friends in Gibralter coping? Afterall they are not ex pats so how is all this affecting them? :-\

pugwash

Thought this sounded interesting. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Nicola Moran 13 February 13:50 
ASTRA 2E TRANSMITTING AT REDUCED POWER TO EXCLUDE EXPATS?
Browsing through nearly 1,000 of your reception reports, it's clear that the new satellite Astra 2E is transmitting at lower power than its twin, Astra 2F.
Both Eurostar E3000 satellites have identical specifications: launch mass 6 tonnes, wingspan 40m, output power of 13kW. For some reason, the received signals are up to 2.5 dB lower across most of Europe, including SE England (right).
We were led to believe that the new satellites would have a stronger signal in the centre of footprint, but this only happened with Astra 2F, which went into service a year ago.
2.5dB doesn't sound like much, but the dB scale is logarithmic, a drop of 3dB is a reduction of 50%.
On both satellites, HD channels are transmitted at slightly higher power, as the DVB-S2 8PSK HD format is much harder to receive. This is reason why many people can receive SD but not HD.
The suspicion has to be that 2E's power has been reduced to make it harder to receive BBC, ITV and Channel Four in mainland Europe.

www.facebook.com/fortunasat
Fortunasat
sky tv in spain and Murcia Alicante Costa Blanca SKY TV
contact 968686466 or 679874294