Can anyone tell me how to ?

Started by alansue, March 12, 2014, 11:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alansue

This is where and how the Forum helps people whe they need it. Thanks to APY 2 for all the running around and hunting he has done to find me the right cables to get my laptop connected and working on my older flat tv. Result !!

Thanks also to Steve Conway for his help in this.

This is a copy of my pm to APY 2

Hi again. Wanted to reply to you before now but the Forum has been down most of the day.

You had better sit down for this next update on the TV saga !!!!!!!!!

It worked !! We have lift off on the tv. Picture and sound, whoop whoop !!

Using the Scart to 4 pin s.video to connector to enable 7 pin s.video to laptop and sound connected from the lead attached with scart to laptop headset .

Thank you very much. I will obtain the cables I need now and return your as soon as I get them if thats ok with you.

Now I will probably find that FILMON will not work !!! Ah well thats life. Alan

jackbar

Hi

Try Zeta services in Zurgena he is very helpfull if anyone can help he will he is advertised on the forum

Optomist

Im surprised Dynos dont stock the cable Steves link showed , its by far the simplest most direct method and a commonly used connector one that i would have expected them to sell often . They are normally very helpful and Im sure they could get one quickly enough if you asked them . I have asked for things before there and been told they dont sell them but found them myself on the shelves so have a look around you never know . Have sent you a PM for you to collect the cable i mentioned on my post .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

steveconway24

It would be worth trying Apy2's cable. 7pin in your laptop, then the 4 pin into your tv and the yellow rca into the yellow rca socket. Not sure that will send audio, but if your ok with your external speakers it should be ok.

Let us know how you get on.

alansue

It would be great if you did have something in your box of goodies. Please let me know and I will be happy to pop into Albox and see you. Thank you to you and Steve for all the assistance you are giving me, it is appreciated very much. Regards to you both. Alan

Optomist

As Steve says S/Vid seems to be the way to go in your case , here is a simple photo description of the various configurations or connectors and the corresponding cables needed depending on what you have ....

http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html

This one will carry the audio also should you want the sound coming from the TV altho a lot more expensive than Steves but you can buy the additional cable for a couple of Euros locally ....

http://www.svideo.com/7svto3rca.html

You can buy an adapter to convert from VGA to RGB but its a more expensive way of doing it than using the S/Vid as the signal needs to be converted rather than a simple case of configuring the wiring of a cable to fit both however if you take the converter route then you can purchase a converter to use either the VGA or Scart input of the TV , ie VGA to RGB or VGA to Scart .

Dont hold me to it but i could well have something in my box of cables so will go look now , if i have and your in Albox your welcome to it . Got a 4 pin S/Vid male with joined audio male both terminating in a Scart so no good but also found a 7 pin S/Vid out ( male ) spiting to a 4 pin S/Vid ( female ) and a yellow RCA ( male ) , not sure what that's for but Steve hopefully will and will also know if it will sort your problem out .

steveconway24

If the laptop has 7pin s video out and the tele has RCA in, and your tv is compatible, surely all you'll need is this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIN-S-VIDEO-RCA-TV-Cable/dp/B003RW5NI2

Product Description

Converts 7 Pin S-Video to 3 RCA Cable.
RCA/AV cable (yellow, red, and white) and S-Video port (black).

Connect your laptop or Computer to a television set.

This is a 7 pin S-Video cable with one end of 7 pin S-video to 3 RCA male composite on another end.

It is used to connect all laptop with 7 pin S-Video socket to TV.

Offers excellent video quality and image for your video and home AV systems

Black Molded PVC Jacket.

Connecting laptop / computer with 7 Pin S-Video Data Cable to TV (PAL, NTSC).

Please note that you may have to set-up the TV out-put function for your PC. You may also need to select the right sound system for your PC to match your TV. If you have any set-up problems please refer to your computer or TV manual or alternatively contact the supplier or manufacturer of your computer.

alansue

???   Hi yet again Steve and APY2. Thank you for your ideas so far. I have had a further look at the back of the big plasma tv and it has the following points. Remembering I have VGA and S video 7 in the laptop and nothing else, how do you think I could configure using some of these on the TV

They are in this order

S Video 4 / Yellow Red and White Points / Headset Point / Red and White Points / Black Point marked Sub Out

Beside these Scart for Video, DVD. Then another Scart for TV input.  ???

Optomist

Quote from: alansue on March 12, 2014, 13:55:48 PM
Hi Steve. I have a cable with VGA one end for the laptop and 3 colours on the other end for TV. The colours are Green, Blue and Red. Not Yellow, White and Red. Do you know if this would work and if so which colour would go into which socket as the tv only shows yellow, white and red ? Any help would be appreciated. I have tried changing sockets but no joy. Also would need to know how to project the picture to the tv. currently connected to smaller tv using VGA to VGA. Right click properties, settings,,advanced, ,ge force go, right click, chooses clown, accept and its on. Alan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394629222&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+to+scart+adapter

Sorry Steve i dont think this adapter would work from a VGA output it requires an RCA input , its composite not component .

Alan it sounds like you have a component cable , the colours don't matter but the way they are wired does , a component cable will carry the colors only , it requires another two to carry audio . The colours on the TV should match and there would be five of them altogether , if theres only three and they are red  yellow and white there composite not component so wouldn't work . You want one to carry One for video ( yellow ) and Two audio ( red - white ) .The connectors are the same except for the colours but the video/audio method is different , component is supposed to be superior and composite wont carry HD .

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/MC748ZM/A/what-is-the-difference-between-component-av-cable-and-composite-av-cable/QDH9KCCC9YJTADKKY

If you have s/vid you could use that so you dont need to buy a converter .

alansue

Hi Steve. I have a cable with VGA one end for the laptop and 3 colours on the other end for TV. The colours are Green, Blue and Red. Not Yellow, White and Red. Do you know if this would work and if so which colour would go into which socket as the tv only shows yellow, white and red ? Any help would be appreciated. I have tried changing sockets but no joy. Also would need to know how to project the picture to the tv. currently connected to smaller tv using VGA to VGA. Right click properties, settings,,advanced, ,ge force go, right click, chooses clown, accept and its on. Alan

steveconway24

You'll need this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIN-S-VIDEO-RCA-TV-Cable/dp/B003RW5NI2

And this if you want to plug it into the scart if you are already using the rca.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394629222&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+to+scart+adapter

Print off the pic of the cable and try the chinky shops, Dynos, media markt etc.

alansue

Thanks for the reply. I have looked in Dynos but they do not seem to have what i think I need. They also told me it wasn't possible to get a picture, but I am sure someone has done it. I am not worried about the Audio bit as currently using the plug in speakers to my laptop, which are electric powered, this works well. Its just getting a picture across. Thanks for your prompt reply APY 2, sorry I don't know your name. I really wondred if anyone had managed to do this to their TV already. Regards Alan

Optomist

You can get a number of inexpensive readily available adapters/cables to carry the video to your Scart or RCAs on the TV from the VGA on your laptop although you will need to use a separate line for the Audio taking it from your headphone/speaker out on your laptop . Try looking in Digi Albox , explain what you need to do and I'm sure they will advise you what they have in stock to do the job . Another suggestion is look on Amazon or Ebay first so you know what your looking for , Chisme would send you a link showing a picture of the things but unfortunately I've not seen posts from them in a while , were always very informative .

alansue

I have a tv which is 7 years old. The only connections at the back are S.Video 4 pin , RCA and Scart. My laptop has VGA and  S Video 7 pin . Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect my laptop to this tv as I am at a loss. Currently we are using a smaller tv with VGA to VGA and speakers attached to the laptop. Works fine but we would like a bigger picture on the main TV if at all possible. I do not really want the expense of a new larger dish at the moment. Thanks for any tips. Regards. Alan