Why are some locked

Started by PhillipJLloyd, March 15, 2016, 07:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest14507

Some of the worst meals I have had have been in restaurants that have come "highly recommended". There are times when my wife and I can't agree about the pluses and minuses of a restaurant, so why I should try to influence a stranger to eat somewhere just because I like it seems a bit silly to me.

byrney

Isn't it such a shame that the actions of a few selfish, financially motivated, individuals ruin things for the rest of us?

Oh well, that's just life eh?

As I've said before, why not have a section for "trusted" members to give impartial views?

Clearly not.  Hence, regrettably, I use Tripadvisor to review establishments and receive feedback.

What a shame, because "local" recommendations are far better.  Hey ho.

felipe

Everyone is free to express their opinion, that has never been prevented. The reason we lock the restaurants thread is because the facility was being abused with several restaurants regularly getting the same people commenting on them. 

jonno

Of course my opinion is only my opinion, thats what forums essentially are, but I feel I should be entitled to express it as long as it is not offensive.

Ian Young

You are correct, no difference whatever the product or service, your opinion is just your opinion, nothing else. It doesn't make the product or service good or bad, just your assessment, other peoples views will differ.

PhillipJLloyd

No different to recommendations for anything else, plumbers, builders, banks, days out, etc. That's the whole point of having a reviews section. ??

Ian Young

Yes but the fact is that your good or bad experiences are just your opinion, yours and only yours. Your opinion is neither right or wrong. It is just your opinion, and that applies to everyone.  We are all different, unique individuals and see and experience the same things differently from everyone else. What Filipe is saying is only you and each indivudual can decide what they like or dont like. That is not a cop out.

jonno

hmm. That seems to be a cop out. One of the strengths of this forum is sharing good and bad experiences - otherwise why have it???

Ian Young

Filipe is right, one persons meat is another persons poison. Ask 6 people in isolation who have eaten the same meal at the same time and you will get different opinons. Everyone likes their meats and vegetables cooked differently. how can chefs/cooks please everyone? I have eaten as part of a large party many times and there are always differing comments.

felipe

Recommendations ARE allowed. Just that the post will be locked. We have ALWAYS allowed members to ask for recommendations. This topic rears its head every year. As someone once posted.

The best way to find out about a restaurant is go yourself and try it. What is one person´s idea of a great meal may be someone else´s bad meal.

jonno

So are we allowed to recommend/ask for recommendation or not? Seems like no - I would much prefer members' recommendation against a paid-for advert!

byrney

Daffy is right.  Phil is right.

I have been a member for many years and have seen the extremes of promoting businesses and abusing the Forum.

Phil knows that I (and other members) have argued for the availability of a section of the Forum which is devoted to giving recommendations about places to eat or visit.

It is a fine line which Phil and Sharon have to walk.

They have to balance promoting those businesses which are prepared to pay for advertising on the Forum, and those of us who genuinely want to recommend places with like-minded Forum members.

They get it right at least 95% of the time.

I have finally accepted Phil and Sharon's rulings on this and can't be bothered fighting about it anymore.

I have therefore taken to making, and listening to, recommendations on Tripadvisor, which does not seem to be bound by commercial restraints (and, yes, as PJL cautions, we are all adults and can make our own minds up).

Having said that, if we can all slip the odd local recommendation though the Mods "net", then go for it.

A bit of a game eh? - BUT serious stuff for those who are in business and rely on good press.

PhillipJLloyd

Surely because everyone on here is an adult, they can interpret the reviews and make their minds up, or whats the point in a review section. eg. The owner puts a good review on their own restaurant and then its locked, can't be more biased than that ??
Has Daffy a point ??

Daffy

Quote from: Daffy on March 19, 2016, 08:42:21 AM
Quote from: PhillipJLloyd on March 19, 2016, 07:41:24 AM
Obviously nobody knows the answer ??

Could it be that they do not pay to advertise??

So I was right!

felipe

The recommendations for restaurants on the forum has been abused on many occasions over the years. Owners getting friends to regularly post good things about them. In other words ducking the advertising rules. Which is why when someone posts a recommendation or asks for one, they get locked. Sometimes we miss them, we are not robots. 

StellaL

Possibly Daffy, but the restaurant I was looking at was a recommendation from another forum member and not the restaurant itself. Come on mods give us an explanation please.
Stella

Daffy

Quote from: PhillipJLloyd on March 19, 2016, 07:41:24 AM

Could it be that they do not pay to advertise??

PhillipJLloyd

StellaL

Agreed. Looked at a restaurant review/recommendation recently so I thought I would ask for directions only to find the post was locked. Wish somebody could tell me why.
Stella

PhillipJLloyd

I'm confused, why are some locked when this is a section for reviews of restaurants, both good and not so good.