HP Laptop - Changing hard drive to Solid State Drive.

Started by ebygum, May 18, 2019, 15:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optomist

Quote from: ebygum on May 25, 2019, 10:41:43 AM
Hi Optomist,Just to let you know the new SSD has now been installed and the laptop is up and running a lot faster.It took my Grandson about an hour to set it all up.Very pleased.Hope all goes well with your swap.

Good to know you have yours done and your already seeing benefits from it , if i ever get a USB to SATA cable i will do mine , just another 3 weeks and i should have it , until then seems like im just going to be twiddling my thumbs .  ::)
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

ebygum

Hi Optomist,Just to let you know the new SSD has now been installed and the laptop is up and running a lot faster.It took my Grandson about an hour to set it all up.Very pleased.Hope all goes well with your swap.

Optomist

Quote from: King on May 21, 2019, 16:46:41 PM
Optomist,

It's a fairly standard connector! Have you tried the local computer dealers: APP Informatica (Albox) or Dynos (Albox)?

Looked this morning , not a stock item so would have to order and wait and i really dont want to pay out for another one anyway which will be used for just 20 minuites then of no further use .

King

Optomist

Quote from: Optomist on May 21, 2019, 16:09:12 PM
Quote from: ebygum on May 21, 2019, 14:14:44 PM
Hi Optomist,I have had a word with my Grandson and he tells me this is the way he is going to do it:
1) Back-up whats on the hard drive onto a memory stick.
2) Using Partion Wizzard.com software downloaded onto the laptop and a SATA to USB cable to migrate from the hard drive to the new SSD.
3) Remove old drive and replace SSD switch on and re-boot.
Thats what i think he said,only hope it works,i'm sure there's more to it than that,like i said i will watch and learn. Will know on Friday.
P.S. He said most of what he has learnt has come from youtube.

Again thanks for the info , was exactly what i had planned to do and like him i used the internet for the info . Already backed up the existing hard drive and downloaded the Partition Wizzard unfortunately its the USB to SATA cable that should  have arrived today with the SSD so dont have it for another 3 weeks and i dont think theres a way around that .

Optomist

Quote from: ebygum on May 21, 2019, 14:14:44 PM
Hi Optomist,I have had a word with my Grandson and he tells me this is the way he is going to do it:
2) Using Partion Wizzard.com software downloaded onto the laptop and a SATA to USB cable to migrate from the hard drive to the new SSD.
Thats what i think he said,only hope it works,i'm sure there's more to it than that,like i said i will watch and learn. Will know on Friday.

Again thanks for the info , was exactly what i had planned to do and like him i used the internet for the info . Already backed up the existing hard drive and downloaded the Partition Wizzard unfortunately its the USB to SATA cable that should  have arrived today with the SSD so dont have it for another 3 weeks and i dont think theres a way around that .

ebygum

Optomist

Thanks Ebygum , got me SSD today but the caddy with the SATA connection i need to house the SSD Drive while i migrate from my existing laptops HDD  didn't arrive , been told i wont get it for another 3 weeks , really disappointed as im all ready to do the swap , now i have to wait . Grrrrrrrr   :(

Can you ask your grandson what he used to do the change over , he might have managed it by another method without the need for the Caddy or a USB TO STAT cable , would be so pleased if he did .

ebygum

Hi Optomist,Good luck with your swap to SSD.Mine is being swapped on Friday but eldest Grandson is doing it for me so i will watch and learn i hope.Never too old to learn.

Optomist

Ordered an SSD and Caddy for my existing HDD to migrate from now and expecting it to arrive Friday so reading up on everything .

ebygum

Hi Guy's, Thank you for your replies and help and advice.I have been told by my grandson that he will do it for me,he say' he has done quite a  number of upgrades from hard drive to SSD's.I didn't know he was into doing computers but having said that most youngsters are computer savvy these days.

Optomist

Ebybum , your post reminded me that my son suggested ages ago that i do the same so you prompted me to look into it and ask him whats involved . Seems straight forward enough once you establish if your HDD is ATA or SATA connections , SATA is by far the most common connector type , unfortunately mine is ATA .

The process appears to be that you migrate your HDD to the SSD through a USB to ATA/SATA cable using free software then physically install the SSD , on my laptop thats just a few screws to remove and the HDD is out and then replace it with the SSD .

The migration can also be done indirectly through a 3rd party such as an external HDD , either way reinstalling the OS would be included in the process .

I have to check a few things before i can do mine as although my Windows 7 professional has a key and shows as genuine im not confident it is .

Theres another benefit to installing an SSD , the old HDD can be used as a backup and the holders with connections are very cheap , if like me you never use your Disk drive it an even be inserted into a cradle that replaces the drive so would be incorporated in your laptop . Amazing what can be done once you start looking into something , isn't Google wonderful haha .

Advance Digital has given the most important step BACK UP EVERYTHING first to a third party storage .

ADVANCE Digital

ebygum

Advice please : I want to change my original hard drive to a solid state drive.Is it a straight forward swap or is there any technical problems i need to be aware of.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.