New Rules for Dog Owners

Started by Scotty, February 01, 2009, 21:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Thanks for your replies.......I ask this as when I was living permanently near Fines, I had a visit from a member of the local hunting club.  I say a visit - he rode down on his bike, complete with those rather silly boots that the Guardia Civil wear, every Sunday for about 6 weeks on the trot, hoping to catch me out walking my dogs.  Now we've got 4 dogs, consisting of an elderly labrador, and other dangerous types such as cross breeds of dachshunds etc....all Spanish rescues and all extremely meek dogs.  They don't bark, let alone bite.  Useless as guard dogs, but much loved as family pets.

Anyway, I digress.

Whenever I walk them, they are muzzled....this is not to protect the local wildlife (which scares these dogs stupid anyway, and of which there is not a lot of, due to out of season hunting by "illegal" hunters) no, the reason they are muzzled is to  stop them eating human sh*t.........I'm not joking, I've caught my nearest and dearest neighbour on many occasions pulling her drawers up and kicking away a t*rd or two.

Different story, sorry I've wandered off topic again.

Anyway, after trying week after week, he finally caught me as I was walking them down the camino towards our house.  I might add that there are no other houses down this track, and it is effectively a dead end - nevertheless he demanded to see all my documentation of my dogs.  Despite being a bit flustered I had the presence of mind to ask to see his papers and he showed me a card which showed that he was a member of a hunting club.

To keep the peace I allowed him to follow me back to my house (he followed on his bike, about 3 inches behind me) and I then presented him with the dogs' passports, which included details of microchips, up to date rabies shots etc.

In short, they were all 100% legal...........to say he was upset is a major understatement.  He spent about 40 mins (honestly) reading and re-reading the documentation.....with a cry of triumph he then waved my English-born labrador's passport at me, declaring that it was illegal as it was a UK/EU passport instead of a Spanish/EU one

By this time I had lost my sense of humour and told him to check with any vet, and to contact me if he still thought it was illegal.  

I then asked him if he was checking ALL the dogs in the area, as I doubted that many of them had microchips, vaccinations etc......In reality I know for a fact that none of the Spanish in the village have "legal" dogs

He completely ignored me, I asked him the same thing again, he muttered under his breath, and took off on his bike.

HogRider

Scotty
Firstly welcome to the Forum and look forward to many a new post or contribution from you in the future ! Have a look at the Diary date topic cos we're have a 'Do' ! Meet ya Forum Chums, nothing formal and should be a entertaining night out !

Still back on thread ! Good points, well made and from what I've seen of the 'Hunting' community their dogs are only as good as they are on the day ! If they don't do the job the dog gets the chop !  

Whilst i'm sure that many spanish folk are as soft as us brits with their dogs there does seem to be dual standards that are applied to dog owners.

Hogs :hat

Chris485

I obtained this information from a local magazine this week. I am actually in the process of arranging to see the local police to check these details out and to see what other informaton is available. I should point out I have abslotuly no personal interests in dogs, I have been asked to do this on behalf of the Neighbourghood Watch

SPANISH LAW ON DANGEROUS DOGS
Modifications to the Spanish law on dangerous dogs were introduced last year, applying new restrictions to owners.
DANGEROUS DOGS LIST
Pitbull Terrier
Staffordshire bull terrier
American Staffordshire terrier
Rottweiler
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brasileriro
Tosa inu
Akita inu
And their crosses
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING A LICENSE TO KEEP DOGS BELONGING TO THESE BREEDES
1.   The owner must undergo a psychological examination to check whether they are able to keep such a dog. The owner must be an adult, without a criminal record (a certificate from the police), and in good physical condition. The psychological certificate is obtained from the driving licence renewal centre.

2.   The dog must be micro chipped, insurance and civil responsibility coverage of around 120, 000 Euros acquired, and the dog must have a rabies vaccination.

3.   The dog must be registered at the local town hall (the documents for registration can be obtained from a veterinary clinic) before the vet can register the dog´s microchip. The vet then registers its microchip and provides the owner with a special health certificate.

4.   Following this procedure, the town hall provides the owner with a license for keeping a dangerous dog.

5.   The license has to be renewed every five years. The license can be withdrawn in the event of the dog displaying aggression towards people or other animals.
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

suelesj

Well said Scotty...but as far as the Spanish and animals are concerned I think it´s do as I say not as I do!

Scotty

Hi there, first post, so please be gentle :roll: