Main Menu

World Cup fever

Started by timb, November 19, 2022, 10:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny73

England v USA was an awful boring game. They spent more time passing backwards than anything else.
Dreadful performance from England and all the big teams to come.

Malcolm Hyde

timb

What an ar se Infantino has made of himself today. Obviously when the Qataris cheque for Sepp was returned “no longer lives here anymore” they quickly changed the name.

Drinks at 5 day Test Matches?? How do you stay awake Malcolm lol

Malcolm Hyde

Thank God for civilised games like Rugby Union & Cricket where alcohol is always on tap!

timb

You are quite right Malcolm about holding a WC in an area of immense heat during the traditional summer break. Watching that Netflix doc it wasn’t just FIFA that were corrupted by the wealth and back door deals done with Qatar. Allegedly in return for their vote Thailand secured a multi billion dollar deal with Qatar for gas at extremely advantageous prices. Then French President Nicholas Sarkosy met only a few days before the vote with a member of the Qatari royal family and allegedly their vote was changed, followed by a multi billion dollar deal to supply Qatar airline with a large fleet of airbuses, plus PSG was also purchased and huge investment. A couple of nights before the delegates were invited to a lavish dinner with a side room made available that contained envelopes with 1.5 million dollars cash in them for the delegates to return to own federations for help in developing their grassroots football development - plus many other allegations.

Considering the award to Qatar was made 10 years ago surely somebody at Budweiser must have thought the promotion of alcohol in a state that bans alcohol might be a bit shaky??? My guess somebody’s head will role at Budweiser for not thinking that through - thankfully they are going to a country where learning how to make a head roll is part of the school curriculum:)

As for the sale of alcohol at the stadiums, bearing in mind I haven’t been to a PL game in England for a few years, I thought alcohol was banned in any place where you could see the playing area, including hospitality where they used to draw curtains across when drinks were served at half time etc? Pre Covid I went to the Nou Camp to see Barcelona play a couple of times. I got there early to soak up the atmosphere and a few beers the first time. On the second time I went with three others who flew into Barca that day. We met up, had some beers and I said we can have a drink at the stadium before the game. My stepson went to the bar inside the Nou camp but outside the stadium and came back with a look of incredulity- they only serve alcohol free beer there and inside the stadium!!

At a reported £11.50 a pint in Qatar I think I’d be giving it a miss anyway!

As for Human rights the Netflix documentary talks about how dictators and the like use major events like the WC to appear credible on the world stage. It’s called sports washing. They refer, as examples, to the Berlin Olympics in 1936, the Argentina WC in 78, and more recently Russia in 2018.

As for Maguire - the best bit of business (outside of buying Vardy) the foxes have ever done :)

Malcolm Hyde

I agree with you about Safegate, in my mind he lost a lot of credibility when he chose Maguire over Mings.

Qatar being chosen is down to FIFA, it should never be in countries like that where summer temperatures (World Cup normal time for the tournament) are unbearable.

Qatar more than likely promised FIFA the Earth to get the tournament, then 2 days before the start make a U turn and do not allow alcohol to be sold at the stadiums, I bet one of the tournaments main sponsors (Budweiser) are really happy with that decision.

I will watch the matches, but select the games, England, Spain Brazil Argentina & The Wolves sorry Portugal.

England knocked out in the quarter finals.

timb

Ever since I was a 10 year old boy and England won the World Cup I’ve always really looked forward to the event. Even in the dark years when we missed out on qualifying it’s still been something to look forward to - that is until this year!

I can’t make up my mind which reason is dulling my enthusiasm the most;

Qatar
Played in mid season
The Southgate factor

I’m sure Qatar will throw so much money at the event it will be a spectacle, but you still can’t forget what a huge mistake FIFA have made by awarding them it in the first place. (If you have access to Netflix there is a documentary called FIFA Uncovered- well worth a watch)

Having a break for a month for the Premier League is disgusting and totally disrupts everything for the clubs, managers, players and fans.

As for Southgate, or Safegate as I like to call him, he is just boring on both a playing level and in personality. Yes, he got us to a semi final in the last WC, and a final at the last Euros, but we had a charmed run to both and beat literally nobody of quality. What manager in their right mind decides to defend against an ageing Italian side when 1 up and totally dominating a game?

It’s a close call but I think Southgate wins it!

All that said I’ll probably still watch every minute starting with the mouthwatering opening game between Qatar and Ecuador :)