Microsoft

Started by byrney, May 29, 2018, 23:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

RedEyes

Quote from: guest4538 on May 30, 2018, 17:51:26 PM
The OEM and Recovery partitions are usually the first two on the disc (essentially A and B).

That is so wrong.  The A and B drives are a hangover from the days when computers had internal floppy disk drives - these were called A: and B:.  The first hard drive on the system was then designated as C:

Few computers have floppy drives these days, but the convention of having the C: drive as the first hard disk on the system has been maintained.  Of course, many computers also have a DVD/CD drive and unless you deliberately change it, this normally shows up as drive D:.

When the computer manufacturer includes a recovery partition (quite common, since it means they don't have to supply you with the OS on a CD) this will take the next letter available - which, in most cases, will be E:.  Unless you really know what you are doing, this drive should be absolutely left alone.

The recovery drive partition is normally only big enough to hold the essential recovery information, thus making as much space as possible available to the user.  If you are seeing a message that it is full, I imagine that's because something is trying to write additional information to it and failing because there is no space.  If this is the case, then increasing the size of the E: partition should solve the problem, but if you are not too computer savvy, I would ask someone who is to do this for you.

byrney

Thanks for the advice Elgin.  Unfortunately my Recycle Bin only had three items in it which I've now deleted, but it hasn't made any difference.

I have learned to live with the persistent message telling me that my E Drive is full !!  I was told by a computer bloke not to worry about it, and only to worry if it says my C Drive is full.

Elgin

I don't know if this helps but the E drive on my Windows 10 PC was originally a Recovery Drive partition on the hard disk (a secondary disk as the C drive is a SSD).  However, I created an offline Recovery drive on a USB stick. It appears that as a result Windows is now using the E drive for the recycle bin (I'm 99.99% I didn't tell it to do so).  So if you E drive isn't a recovery drive then try emptying the recycle bin and see if that helps.

PS Windows 10 is very memory hungry and every time it updates it saves a backup copy of itself.  This back up copy can be deleted but this does mean you can't "undo" the upgrade if you need to.  Consequently, I have found that I have had to upgrade by 120GB SSD.  I have gone for a 480GB one and now I have loads of spare room.

loskeran

I agree with you about "windows," 10 especially   , I refuse to use it I have gone back to Windows 7 a very stable operating system, they still support it but you wont get all of the crap "advertising" trying to get you to buy loads of stuff you don't want, when they stop supporting 7, I will either be pushing up the daises or buying a Apple Mac even though the cost more.
Regards
Loskeran

byrney

Thanks for trying anyway.  Unfortunately, there are many of us out here who are not technically-minded and have to rely on experts such as you to keep the sharks at bay.

guest4538

Understood Byrney. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck.

byrney

Thanks for the advice Chisme, but I think I'll leave it all alone, and will take it to a professional once MS have their own way and take over my PC completely.

I re-state my opinion - a bunch of T****RS who should not be allowed to get away with what they do.  I am sure that I am not alone in this invasion of my privacy.

guest4538

Quote from: RedEyes on May 30, 2018, 13:59:52 PM
This elusive E drive might well be a recovery partition (made by the computer manufacturer and usually hidden).  It could well show up as being full, as it is only made big enough to store the data needed to do its job.  Deleting, or otherwise interfering with it, could make for a problem at a later date should you need to recover the original setup.

The OEM and Recovery partitions are usually the first two on the disc (essentially A and B). Then there's the main C-drive storage. Since Bryney's E-drive seems to be a partition in the main on-board memory, then there's also a D-drive with yet more protected files!

Without doing any harm whatsoever, you could have a look at the partitions generally and hopefully identify their contents. Right click on the Windows icon, bottom left of the taskbar, and from the menu click on 'Disk Mangement'. How many partitions do you have in your main 'Disk 0', and what are they?

RedEyes

This elusive E drive might well be a recovery partition (made by the computer manufacturer and usually hidden).  It could well show up as being full, as it is only made big enough to store the data needed to do its job.  Deleting, or otherwise interfering with it, could make for a problem at a later date should you need to recover the original setup.

guest4538

One further thought. You could try this to see if the contents of the E-drive can be easily unhidden:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select 'Show hidden files and folders' from the search results.
  • Under Advanced settings, select 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives', and then select OK.

Then open file explorer and click on the E-drive. Now let us know what, if anything, is shown.

guest4538

It seems the E-drive is a partition on your hard drive.

Usually programmes are stored in the general C-drive as with all other personal files: thus only constrained by the size of your hard drive. It seems, for some reason or other, your programmes are being stored in a separate partition within your hard drive: and this partition is fixed in size. I cannot imagine that this is a problem created by MS. It seems more likely that this is a problem/fault introduced by your computer manufacturer! Although the partition is showing as empty, I suspect that is an MS security feature to discourage you from interfering with the (hidden) contents.

You will understand that I would not wish to give instructions, indirectly, on how to manage your hard drive partitioning: things could go wrong!  I suggest you have a word with one of the local professionals and ask them to transfer the E-drive contents to the general C-drive and then delete the E-drive partition.

It might help others if you could identify the make of your computer, as one to avoid perhaps!

Good luck.

byrney

Thanks Chisme - I have done that, and it says Local Disc (E). When I click on that it says that there are no files in the folder.  So, how can I delete whatever it is which is allegedly making me run out of disc space? 

If it is empty, why does it constantly send me stupid messages saying that it is ready to overload?

As you know, I have totally run out of patience with this bunch of idiots.

guest4538

Usually the E-drive is a backup memory connected to your computer. I suggest, before removing any programmes, opening File Explorer (it looks like a yellow file in your taskbar) and clicking on 'This PC'. You should then see exactly which device has been named the 'E-drive'.

Incidentally, you can reduce the impact of the updating process by registering your 'active hours': open 'settings' (the cog in the startup menu), go to updates and 'change active hours'.

byrney

Well, here we go again.  Absolute tossers (excuse the language but that is how I feel - again!).

I have been chastised previously for using such terminology by some users on here who believe that MS is the God(ess) of all things technology.

I disagree.

Having had my computer taken over yet again (without my permission) by MS to do one of their wonderful "up-dates" I now find that my computer is effectively dying on me.

As required by MS I "up-dated" my computer this week.  It took four bloody hours.  It allegedly enhanced my computer experience.

B****cks did it.

I now have a computer which every few minutes tells me that my E drive is full and in danger of shutting my whole PC down unless I remove unwanted programmes - the very programmes which sodding MS has just embedded into my PC.  Eg Skype, Ebay, MS Edge etc which I do not use.

My problem is that I do not know which programmes I can uninstall safely without buggering up my entire system.

Help - you computer people please.  I assume I am not alone.