Are we the lucky generation?

Started by Roger, June 13, 2020, 12:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynden

Opportunities are there for those who look for them.....it’s those that expect to be handed them that get disappointed.

Pennydot

I was born 9 months after my Dad came back from Burma.  We lived with my grandparents until I was 7 (always outside playing) when we were allocated a prefab; still outside playing as much as possible.  Had a brilliant schooling (both parental and school) and left at 15 with 7 O levels.  Worked in a bank - met my first husband - bought a house £1,900!!! Had 2 children and moved to a bigger house.  After my divorce, I re-trained in IT and moved upward and onwards (and met my second husband in 2003.  I retired in 2009, and we moved to Spain in 2011!  Yes, I remember the 70s and the huge interest rates and the electric cuts; and the Beatles and Stones and all the wonderful music we had.  And, yes, I think we had lots of good things - but we worked hard for it and did most things with kindness and care - and respect for others.  I agree we were a lucky generation.  But not everyone shared the same experience!!!!

timb

My formative years were the 60’s and 70’s and the music was just different class to anything before or much of it since. We were lucky not have been involved in major wars when at the right age to be conscripted or to be American and sent Vietnam or stay at home to watch the anti war and race riots. My first proper job meant I spent a lot of time in London during the IRA bombing campaigns and as may dad worked in the steel works saw the almost end of that industry. Joined a union once, was called out on strike after three days and having been out of work for three months and then told not to work for another three, times were very hard with a young family.

Got straight and bought my first house, emptied pockets all tins and down the back of the sofa for the deposit. We’d worked out everything to the penny, exchanged contracts and returned to the car, turned on the radio and bang interest rates had gone up to 14%!!!

At least we could switch on the tv and watch any one of three channels but Steptoe and Son and Till Death us do part made up for it.

Oh, anD don’t forget we won a World Cup as well!

Roger

Burney
It was a long time ago.
But I recall disagreeing with positive discrimination because it would descrimate against white working class kids from Wythenshawe and Ancoats.
But that was not a popular thing to say then.
Much easier to go along with the tide.

But this remains a problem.
The reason why black kids get a poor deal is the same reason white working class kids get a poor deal.
The problem hasn't changed.
Increasing gap between rich and poor.

JUD

Depends on which rose tinted specs you look through, the interest rate on our first mortgage was 15% with a 10% deposit up front and inflation was running at around 20% , 3 day week , strikes etc,  we used a telephone box on the corner as we couldn't afford to have one installed in the house. I used a bike to ride the 6 miles  to work , my wife used the 10yr car and the tv was rented. 
But we were happy !!

byrney

And Roger, didn't your/our generation promote racism / sexism via your left wing views? You politically set up "equality teams" in Manchester, with Graham Stringer and Richard Leese.
The team composed of a lesbian, a gay man, an Asian, an African and a transgender person.
The ****  that went off in that group was unbelievable.
Right or wrong Roger?

Tetley

Personally i think the Romans have a lot to answer for   :shocked: ,all them roads and all, that no wonder every bxggers from far & wide invaded the English empire on the Giro run  ..... :laugh:

(mind you dears it not all bad...at least they built a road out as well ,.....thankfully   :)) )
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Rtis

Well posted Roger and, Webe, as you post TWO major Downfalls, kept letting the world in and bringing the UK down to their standard of living !!

webejamin

Yep, we certainly had the better days however you look at it. Over population and cultural differences are two of the major downfalls of the UK. The desire for cheap labour to feed the fatcats has a lot to answer for.
Good post Roger.

Lynden

Good old Tets rides again.....

60’s through 70’s music definitely the best. Kids had freedom to roam outdoors and were generally fitter than today’s kids.
Early 1970’s was appalling. Weak government, rampant strikes, power cuts, Comprehensive education. The Conman Market.
1980’s Maggie sets out her stall, and the U.K. moved forward. People started to believe that you could be upwardly mobile socially and financially. Downside was a move to more selfish self centred views.
After Maggie we had the grey man who tickled Edwina’s fancy but little else.
Tony Blair could have been the finest PM (certainly finest Labour PM) although he was a closet Tory. Sadly he was sidetracked by Bush and the rest is history.
But on the whole we’ve done well because we took the opportunities presented and worked for it.

Tetley

Quote from: Roger on June 13, 2020, 12:44:20 PM
Looking back we were very lucky to be in the generation we are.

Full employment and great music of the 50s and 60s.
Free education for the minority who went to University.
For the majority who did not there were apprenticeships or company training schemes with a job at the end.
Social media did not exist, so we did not have the issue of on line bullying;
and the issues of a multicultural Britain was a problem for future generations.
Housing was affordable and for those who could not get a mortgage there was a surge in new council housing.
The social unrest and youth unemployment of the 80s was something which had little impact on the day to day lives of most of our generation.
And by the time we reached our 50s early retirement was a possibility for many.

And now the economic uncertainty following the current pandemic, plus world economic changes, is something which will affect those currently in work, but is something which is passing us by.

correct Roger its been great and our generations have eaten all the pie, and had all the coin ,Johnstones Cake & eat its.

still at least the kids that can earn a crust will  now get chance of a 25 to 35 % cheaper house at low loan rates.

plus wi might get a social revolution were the grafting economic  lions finally get pxssed off with the privately educated  to rule  donkeys at the helm of all things political & finance burning the Lions toyles

whatever people say a bought Trumph or Farrarge they have both spun pro trained politicas on there arses

interesting times
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Roger

Looking back we were very lucky to be in the generation we are.

Full employment and great music of the 50s and 60s.
Free education for the minority who went to University.
For the majority who did not there were apprenticeships or company training schemes with a job at the end.
Social media did not exist, so we did not have the issue of on line bullying;
and the issues of a multicultural Britain was a problem for future generations.
Housing was affordable and for those who could not get a mortgage there was a surge in new council housing.
The social unrest and youth unemployment of the 80s was something which had little impact on the day to day lives of most of our generation.
And by the time we reached our 50s early retirement was a possibility for many.

And now the economic uncertainty following the current pandemic, plus world economic changes, is something which will affect those currently in work, but is something which is passing us by.