weedkiller reccomendations

Started by tanfield, May 17, 2009, 13:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David C

Whats wrong with sodium chlorate, I have tried the Strong round-up and return to find a new crop as vigorous as the last! so intend to bring some sodium chlorate out to poison the gravel drive.
David C

lisa j

Hola,

The chap in the shop next to Mora oil told us 100cc to 5 lts, seems to work quite well most of the time, we usually put 500ml in for every 20lts of water, it's a very expensive product at the moment at around 48 to 50 euros. I noticed they were stocking a strong Round Up weedkiller at 56 euros for 5lts.

C Bass ::)
Rambla De Oria's only licensed Elephant Catcher.

Greenfingers

Usually 1 part to 5 parts water
Ian

tanfield

thank's for all the replies,i've bought something called GLITAN for the armery in arboleas,does anyone know how to dilute the amount required?
cheers.

casablanca

Cheers Ian, gotcha now.
I use the same process i.e. pull the big ones out and spray the tiny difficult ones. Most of the big ones will come out easy (honest Frankie) mainly because you have something to get hold of with both hands.

Greenfingers

Hi 'H',
You are right in what you say, The way a Systemic weedkiller works is by absorbtion through its leaves, stem etc down to the roots, killing of the weed in its entireity.
The point i was trying to get across ( unsuccessfully ) was that, For those who have not tended their garden, Like Tanfield who was on holiday, Or someone who has a holiday home such as yourself and may only come over twice a year, you can come back to a very overgrown garden. To spray the weeds and leave them until the next visit can cause a lot of mess when they curl up and die, As when the wind gets hold of them you can end up with it blowing everywhere ( usually into a neighbouring plot )
I tend to pull out the big suckers, which can be quite easy, and leave in the smaller unobtrusive ones ( 2-3 inches high ) , which i spray with weed killer, those and the rest of the plot, I then re-spray the area with water. This is also more applicable to a plot which is due to be landscaped,ie, cleared of weeds, weed suppressant membrane, then gravelled.
For more general weeds in a fully occupied villa i would probably use a contact weed killer.
Just my method, I'm sure others have alternatives, Just the way i seem to find it works best.

Ian

casablanca

Quote from: Greenfingers on May 17, 2009, 16:26:30 PM
Hi Tanfield,
Use anything with Gliphosate in it, Such as Fox 36, you can buy most brands from the Armourey next to the Mora Oil petrol station in Arboleas, As they are systemic they will take around 1-2 weeks to kill off anything, I would however recommend you remove ALL the weeds from the garden first then spray, As if you leave them and spray whilst they are in the garden you will find after about a week they will have dried up and will crumble as you try to remove them, this makes for a lot of mess

Ian

Hey Ian I always thought that systemic weedkillers needed to be sprayed on the weed's leaves/stems in order to be effective? How can this process take place if you pull all the above surface stuff (leaves/stem etc) out before you spray? I am not doubting you as I know you are knowledgable and good at your job. Am just wondering if I had it wrong or have misunderstood what you are saying?

'H'

Greenfingers

Hi Tanfield,
Use anything with Gliphosate in it, Such as Fox 36, you can buy most brands from the Armourey next to the Mora Oil petrol station in Arboleas, As they are systemic they will take around 1-2 weeks to kill off anything, I would however recommend you remove ALL the weeds from the garden first then spray, As if you leave them and spray whilst they are in the garden you will find after about a week they will have dried up and will crumble as you try to remove them, this makes for a lot of mess

Ian

Danny

Hi Tanfield,

I use Herbicida Total which costs 7 euros for a small plastic bottle, purchased from the garden centre next to Longo. Mixed with water I use a small (about 1 litre) pump action spray which is very accurate, and I find that this works well. It takes the weeds about two weeks to die off, but it kills them completely, and with the small accurate spray I can go quite close to good plants. Pulling the weeds out does leave roots which can grow again. Also the spray is very good for anyone with a bad back as you can do it from an upright position.

Dan

tanfield

hello,just got back from a short holiday back in blighty & the garden weeds have been very buzy,i have a mainly gravel garden so you can imagine the work involved in pulling them up(the roots rarely come up!!) can anyone reccomend a local supplier of weedkiller,the name & costs of the product.many thanks.