Do You Know What This Is?

Started by Lynne, July 20, 2009, 17:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Managed to get to the Organic garden centre today and spoke to the daughter.  The answer we got was "No sé" (the second most common word/s after Mañana).  She's supposedly looked in her book and she can't find it.  So, let me get this right - she owns a shop and buys stock from her wholesaler to sell to her customers but she doesn't know what she's buying or selling?  Think I've got that right. 
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Lynne

I don't know what you're thinking of Frankie, but I was talking about my fronds!   :lol:
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Lynne

Thanks for the advice Lorraine, I'll try to remember that in future.   :rofl:  I didn't realise they start off soft and get stiffer as they mature, I'm learning a little more each day. :rofl:

Lorraine

It's much easier if you use your hands on the keyboard Lynne. Incidentally new pine growth is usually very soft.

Lynne

And me - I've spent nearly 2 hours Googling and I've now got a numb bum   :whistle: - still, it's cool indoors.

Lynne

That's right Lorraine, the same size from top to bottom.  My husband has just returned from the Organic garden centre where we bought them and the old man told him that it was PINO - which we understand is Pine.  He didn't know which type but told us to return later and ask the daughter.  We'll get back there when we can.  I have to agree that the spikes, although very soft, do look like pine needles.

Lorraine

Our neighbours have got a couple of those fern type flowers that have the red berries on them and it certainly doesn't look like the picture - the actual shape of the branches on theirs start of large and peak to a tip - these look like they are long and thin all the way down.

terrytrees

I agree. It's an asparagus fern,probably "myersii" I bought one this year from the garden centre in Mojacar. It struggled to cope with the change in environment at first,shedding most of its foliage,but after a few months and some pruning, it's looking good. It carried lots of very small whitish flowers which have now become round green berries. I'm waiting to see if they ripen to a different colour.
Terrytrees.

olly

Could be that yours are young plants that hav`nt started to spread yet. The full name is asparagus densiflorus "myersii". According to the R.H.S. encyclopedia of plants and flowers.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Lynne

At first glance I thought you had it, but on closer examination it's not quite the same.  Each 'spike' on our plant is individual and not split or feathered.  So near yet so far...!  Thanks for trying anyway.

olly

No sign of neighbour yet, but I think I`ve found it. Try googling "foxtail fern" (Asparagus densiflorus.) Evergreen erect perennial. Pinkish - white flowers in summer, then red berries. Grows up to 1metre high.
                        Pete. Oliver.

olly

My neighbour has three of these in his garden. They have small red berry type flowers on later in the year. Neighbour is out at the moment, I will ask him if he knows the name when he gets back.
                        Pete. Oliver.

Lynne

I hope not Lorraine - they weren't free.  I think we might try to get back to the garden centre and get them to write down what they're supposed to be.  None of these plants had names on them (so what's unusual in Spain?)  They waft around in a little breeze and one of them (pictured) has the tops slightly bent over, looking like meerkats.  I must say they are very tactile and I already have a nickname for them - but I can't mention it on the forum!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lorraine

Lynne

Good guess Phil, but not right on this occasion.   :lol: It's definitely not from the Astilbe family and I'm now wading through the Cryptomeria Japonica family as it does seem as if it could be from the fir family.  Still open to offers.

chelseaphil

Well it sure ain't a bottle brush :):):):):):):) eh Frankie Ha ha ha

Lynne

Right, I've just done what I should have done in the first place - taken a photograph of it.  Just going on the internet to look through the Astilbe family - may be a while.

[attachment deleted by admin]

olly

Maybe one of the Astilbe family?
                        Pete. Oliver.

sheilsoft

chelseaphil

Sounds like a bottle brush plant to me. But hey, I am no expert!!

Lynne

We recently bought a couple of plants but haven't the foggiest idea what they are.  Each plant has, at the moment, about 20 tall fronds up to about 2ft high and about 1"-2" in diameter.  They don't have leaves as such, more like hundreds of very soft spikes similar in looks to a fir tree but closer together.  They waft in the wind and they're lovely to stroke!  I've had a good Google but have now given up on that.  I'd love to know what they're called so that I can make sure I look after them properly.  Can anybody help please?