BE AWARE

Started by julles, March 12, 2009, 23:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UEI

Yes, but any luggage wrapped in cling film would be immediately highlighted as having something inside worth nicking!

HogRider

Peeps
I am reliably informed by my chums at various UK airport Police Dog Sections that one of the cheapest and most effective 'Anti tamper" measures you can use comes in the form of a simple roll of Cling film.  Once you've packed your case, cling film the outside of the case and use plenty of it ! Forget about locks, waste of time, straps, as bad as locks, zips well you can open them with a biro. Trust me CLING FILM IS THE WAY TO GO ! Make your luggage a pain in the Bum to open for the would be thief !

Hogs  :tiphat:

PS I saw a Cling Film machine at Murcia Airport a few months ago but noticed this week it was gone ! But they did want 5 Euro to do your bag for you !

sandra

This might explain a strange incident for me. I travelled from Luton to Alicante in January. When I opened my suitcase to unpack I felt sure that it had been "opened" even though the padlock was on and the strap lock was still locked too. I had packed some costume jewellry at the last minute. One earing was missing and a necklace broken. They must have thought they were more valuable and warrented investigation.

Danny

We used to have problems travelling from Almeria to Stansted a couple of years ago. We made a written complaint at Stansted but they were not really interested as they said it could have happened at Almeria. Touch wood we have not had any problems since, and we travel each month, but have stopped using Stansted. I was stopped at Alicante airport because I had some lighters in my hold baggage, they obviously scan the cases before putting them on the plane. Certainly in England they scan the cases (or a random sample) before they get to the carousel, that is how the customs know if you are carrying any cigarettes or tobacco. Maybe those scans are also identifying valuables. We were convinced that our losses were happening at Stansted, maybe the thieves have moved on to Luton. Tried everything, from locks to plastic ties, but it makes no difference if they want to get into the case. We no longer lock our cases.

Perhaps the best course of action would be to make complaints at each airport, although that becomes difficult for the departing airport. Certainly complaints should be made each time this is found to happen, as the more complaints there are then the more likely they are to be investigated.

julles

Anyone travelling from Murcia to Luton DO NOT pack anything valuable in your checkin luggage.My daughter,s bag was robbed on this flight 18.00 time or 18.25.
When she realised at the airport she made a complaint and was told this had been going on for the past 6 days.A Spanish couple was also complaining and their bag had a lock on it which was BROKEN OFF.
All the cctv they have and security in the airports how can this happen, its ridiculous.To let this go on for 6 days is madness.
Keep all valuables in your hand luggage.