homosexuals getting married or not ????

Started by old codger, March 28, 2014, 22:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

Tetley

Quote from: pannica on March 31, 2014, 17:59:01 PM
This Is All getting Boring Now :notopic:

But we are boring,thats why were on ere all day...... coz were bored bleedin stiff...no work,house payed for,car payed for,there sod all else ti do but tinterwebbing  ;)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

pannica

This Is All getting Boring Now :notopic:
greetings highlander

Tetley

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Albren

I'm sure they would count that as a blessing

Tetley

When i was an Apprentice..... the fitter i worked with came to work on day in a right state  :o i says,whats up Pete,Pete replys,its the wife she X off after 20 years  :( ,i said ... o im sorry abought that Pete, HE  replys..... yer im gutted,fancy leaving it for this long,she could have X off 19 years ago..... ;D

:tiphat:

byrney

Hmmmm, Debbie - "devoice" - is that what men get when they divorce?... ;)

debbiespain

if there allowing this then i think the same rule should apply that if they commit adultery they can devoice on the same terms as male and female marriages!

bobthelook

It's a funny old world – my old dad, long since departed from this world would simply not have been able to comprehend the concept of two men getting married. He would undoubtedly have known of homosexual  people in his life time but the subject would not have cropped up – it would have been a question of live and let live. He came from the 'Mr Mannering' era –  He would respectfully use the terms homosexual, jew and coloured to describe some people.  Times have changed – not always for the best. Nowadays it can be confusing – homosexual as a word seems to me to be unfashionable and being discouraged by peer pressure  to be effectively replaced by the word gay. This word has been heavily promoted by the 'gay' community in order to  increase acceptability of the idea of homosexuality. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, after all language does evolve over time, although it has rather ruined the original use of the word.  For some  it is unclear whether it is OK to  describe a person as homosexual,  a jew or coloured . Certainly coloured as a description in the US is perfectly acceptable but in the UK – well didn't a sports commentator have to apologise for using that word in the UK recently?  If you described someone as a homosexual would it not be frowned upon and the user of the word be looked upon as perhaps pompous and old fashioned? And is this really fair I wonder?  Is it OK for Julian Clary to use the word 'queer'  and Eddie Murphy to use the word ni**er but not you or I? Even in jest?  Where is the equality in this?  A man and a woman biologically complement each other and in my view marriage  has always been the institution that encompasses  the creation of children and family life.  Children undoubtedly benefit from both a father and a mother. Of course there are exceptions and many children grow up happily with only one parent. But I don't think that two single sex parents is a normal or the best situation. And I didn't think that it was correct, as seemed to be the case in the Blair years, when it appeared that teachers were being encouraged to teach school children that same sex parenting was as normal as man and woman. Similarly it cannot be 'normal' for same sex marriage surely?  I fully support legal equality which we already had, and respect for others to live their lives happily. We should not be afraid to express honestly held opinions or be pressurised by political correctness to follow others like sheep.  Which reminds me where should the line on marriage really be drawn?  Interesting wiki source :
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2%80%93animal_marriage.            :whistle:
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

olly

Oh dear O.C.!!!
Having defended your right to air your views on here, you are now accused of doing the unforgivable.
How do you plead?
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Albren

Old codger do not send nasty emails to me just goes to see what a nasty ignorant person you are your ,as for mods taking a comment of the forum that was aimed at me ,it was nothing to do with you at all .
So DO NOT THINK YOU CAN GET AT ME by sending private emails just get a life !

Annastasia

Old Codger what would you do if your son or daughter had a same sex relationship and wanted to get married?

Spanish Tangerine

Well, as an old shipmate of mine once said---------- I'm not queer, I just help out when they're busy !!!! :queen2:
Bobby

old codger

Quote from: Karen4 on March 31, 2014, 11:50:09 AM
I think we should set up a date between old codger and big bad john and see what happens...  ;) ;) ;)

What a good idea Karen4 but one things for sure I won't be bending over to pick the soap up if he (Big Bad John)drops it in the shower  :lol: :lol: :lol:
My body is in the UK but I left my heart in Spain.

Karen4

I think we should set up a date between old codger and big bad john and see what happens...  ;) ;) ;)
Cl3880

Tetley

Yer i fink wi might get 3 queens night across in TH  but with my limited Spanish i may have to Get Mayor Rog in ti explain Ti Mayor Cris,abought Gay Folks night  :o i dont want ti cause any confusion in the Big  House tying ti explaining how an english chap tried to blow up ,  all Britishes parliment all in the same night.   :rofl:

might get mi ex cuminicated out the Arboleas wooly hat club yorkshire chapter   :king:

;D

Hudders

three Blind Mice - with only a couple of exceptions, I agree totally! Some humour helps us all get along. I'd hate to think that people thought I was too straight laced, and not able to have a laugh at myself/others now and again... believe me, I have been called many things by many people in my day. What is said is never as important as the manner in which it is said though.  Have your personal beliefs - nothing I can do or say will change your core values but expect retaliation when it is due...

However, there is humour (like Tetley's - which I did find amusing) and there's thinly veiled sniping camouflaged as humour, but the  impot is plain to see..

Long may the good natured humour continue to flourish! Have to go now and pack up my rainbow flag for removal... :rofl:
Hudders

No - I'm not from Huddersfield, before anyone asks.. :)

Three Blind Mice

Old Codger

Many thanks for starting this thread.

I haven't laughed so much in ages  :tiphat:

ramblarider

Quote from: AndrewBayley on March 31, 2014, 10:01:08 AM
A point that everyone seems to have forgotten is that until 1971 same sex marriage was legal. Instead of making a song and dance about it all the government had to do was repeal the 1971 amendment which would have been much simpler and cheaper.

Not quite that simple. The problem is (and was) that the 1971 Act (Nullity of Marriage Act 1971) attempted to codify a whole raft of "common law" precedents and Canon law statutes. Some of those dating back hundreds of years. So, whatever the Act says, same-sex marriage did not happen and in all practical senses was entirely impossible even before 1971, and for not long prior to that, the entire concept was probably considered so unlikely and unthinkable that they did not expressly prohibit it because it seemed so far-fetched as to be not worth mentioning! The 1971 Act was in any event repealed and its provisions incorporated in the Matrimonial Causes Act (1973). Both of these were not really intended to define who could marry, but rather, grounds for divorce, and it has been suggested that the only reason they included the "marriage between a man and woman" limitation was because sex-change operations were in the news and they wanted to give people a way out if they had been "tricked" in some way into marrying a person who was not what they appeared to be!!!  :rofl:

Tetley

Morning Hogs

im thinking of popping in tuwn hall and asking Mayor Rog if we can change the January 3 king celibrations to 3 queens  :o ,and nov the 5th Guy Faulks night to Gay Folks night x2  :o

i think it will be a real hit,wadda yer fink  ;D

PS Weres Jammin ,is he having a week in the oyster club resort  ;)

old codger

Quote from: Elle Sid on March 29, 2014, 22:37:50 PM
Quote from: old codger on March 29, 2014, 00:48:02 AM
. My original post contained my view which on a free speech forum as this, I felt justified in doing. My comments were neither defamatory or libellous and not directed at any particular person.

Free speech doesn't give you the right to be offensive. Your post was deliberately provocative.  You wouldn't have the guts to post it on a UK forum because you know very well that you would be in serious trouble in the UK for being homophobic, so you spout out your nastiness on a forum based in another country.You are a miserable cowardly bigot.

You might find the truth about you offensive, well that's tough.  That's all I have to say about you and your nasty post.

Elle Sid, if I am homophobic as you suggest that is my choice and my view alone. The last time I looked this forum was www.arboleas.co.uk and as such is a UK site and as the www denotes it can be read in any country not just Spain.  You may find my posting ''deliberately provocative'' but it certainly got people thinking and responding, mostly with on topic replies to the original question. O.C.
My body is in the UK but I left my heart in Spain.

AndrewBayley

A point that everyone seems to have forgotten is that until 1971 same sex marriage was legal. Instead of making a song and dance about it all the government had to do was repeal the 1971 amendment which would have been much simpler and cheaper.

ramblarider

Quote from: hartcjhart on March 31, 2014, 08:43:08 AM

I think you need to re read the whole thread, most of the 'venom and malice' is actually coming from the pro gay camp,just check the posts where te 'old codger is now the old todger,

You do not have to be "pro gay" as you put it to believe in mutual tolerance, acceptance and respect. I have highlighted the latter because that is one thing that was sadly lacking in OC's original post. The words used... the inverted comma's around the word marriage... terms like "disgust" and "devaluing", etc. Given that kind of approach, it is hardly surprising it elicits a less than friendly response. If the original poster had used a less offensive and confrontational manner, then no doubt some of the responses would also have been different.

I think most people these days are fairly accepting of differences (of all kinds), but there are always some... and it is interesting to note that they are very frequently the exact same people who have previously posted equally offensive views, comments and "jokes"  on racial matters.

The world would be a much better place if (as Tetley says) people grew up and stopped attacking each other over differences that really make no difference (like who believes in which god or who sleeps with whom), and instead did a bit more to deal with the real problems we all face: wars, famine, environmental destruction and overcoming killer diseases.

NormanM

Just for Big John.  Sodomy is not illegal, but for the record, courts have taken the view that sodomy includes oral sex in the past. But let's not allow the facts to get in the way of the truth!
From Normam

hartcjhart

Quote from: Karen4 on March 30, 2014, 16:44:21 PM
Quote from: olly on March 30, 2014, 16:21:41 PM
Tolerance, understanding, and live and let live!  That should be in the joke section.
How many have come on here and  attacked O.C. for his personal view, which, like It or not, he is entitled to hold, when all he actually asked for was other peoples views on the subject.
I thought this forum is supposed to be about stating your own views, not attacking others for stating theirs, be they right or wrong.
Don't quite see what is getting to you olly? Old codger is quite entitled to state his views, and others are quite entitled to state theirs. If someone expresses their views by entering into a same-sex marriage are they not also allowed to state their views? Can't quite get my head around this one, old codger can say what he wants, as long as he is not inciting or encouraging hatred against a particular group of people in society. Equally, others here have the right to agree or disagree with his views as long as they are not also inciting or encouraging hatred.
Perhaps the "disgusted" ones should allow the rest of us to express our tolerance towards others. There is a lot more venom and malice coming from the "anti same sex marriage" camp than from those who don't have a problem with it. And yes, I used the word "camp" quite deliberately!

I think you need to re read the whole thread, most of the 'venom and malice' is actually coming from the pro gay camp,just check the posts where te 'old codger is now the old todger,

Hudders

Thanks to all of you who posted positive & or humourous comments - much appreciated. Johnny, I do not own a single Judy Garland album, but I do have a Liza Minelli one - does that count??? If you are looking for advice on interior design, look no further! Karen, tetley and everyone else who posted - thanks again!

On a serious note though, I felt I had to comment after reading OC's post. I am not, and never have been, a "drum beating activisit" but when I read such objectionable material I have to "stand up and be counted". As Martin Niemoller famously said of the Nazis in pre war Germany "They came for the gypsies.... and there was no one left to speak for me".

Since my first post, I now have invitations to coffee from several kind people which will all be accepted, albeit a little late as the Forum seemed to be down most of last night!

Hudders

No - I'm not from Huddersfield, before anyone asks.. :)

Tetley

Well i fink wi should make ti day Arboleas gay pride day  :o  8)  so ti get the ball rolling here is one of the best Rock performers  that ever  lived  :tiphat:  whom,s life was cut short by AIDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNJ1SQpxFI

have a nice day folks

olly

This is what I'm talking about Karen4.
(Quote)
When Old (C) Todger started his Gay bashing under the title of a discussion Gay Marriage, he crawled out of his poison filled lair dripping with vitriol, lit the touch paper and slid back.
[/quote]
This is not a personal attack, but is merely jonny expressing his view on same sex marraige???
                        Pete. Oliver.

johnny

Quite right too - pm'd you about this..
Johnny

Albren

It was taken of by mods ,
He's a nasty ignorant bigot .

Tetley

Quote from: Albren on March 30, 2014, 17:09:54 PM
Today is Mother's Day and I'm the proud mother of a gay son ,who has only ever brought happiness into my life .
He didn't choose to be gay but I wouldn't change him for the world .  ;D

Well good on yer and i hope yew had a nice day  :tiphat: 

Albren

Today is Mother's Day and I'm the proud mother of a gay son ,who has only ever brought happiness into my life .
He didn't choose to be gay but I wouldn't change him for the world .  ;D

Karen4

Quote from: olly on March 30, 2014, 16:21:41 PM
Tolerance, understanding, and live and let live!  That should be in the joke section.
How many have come on here and  attacked O.C. for his personal view, which, like It or not, he is entitled to hold, when all he actually asked for was other peoples views on the subject.
I thought this forum is supposed to be about stating your own views, not attacking others for stating theirs, be they right or wrong.
Don't quite see what is getting to you olly? Old codger is quite entitled to state his views, and others are quite entitled to state theirs. If someone expresses their views by entering into a same-sex marriage are they not also allowed to state their views? Can't quite get my head around this one, old codger can say what he wants, as long as he is not inciting or encouraging hatred against a particular group of people in society. Equally, others here have the right to agree or disagree with his views as long as they are not also inciting or encouraging hatred.
Perhaps the "disgusted" ones should allow the rest of us to express our tolerance towards others. There is a lot more venom and malice coming from the "anti same sex marriage" camp than from those who don't have a problem with it. And yes, I used the word "camp" quite deliberately!
Cl3880

johnny

Old Todger didn't want other people's views he just wanted to stir up a hornet's nest, get the attention of other bigoted like-minded intolerant people - which he obviously did Olly - who would all then get on the bandwagon and Gay bash but luckily it didn't turn out that way...well not too much.
Johnny

olly

Pete. Oliver.