La Alfoquia Bowling Green

Started by jonno, May 09, 2015, 13:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david john

Quote from: stean on June 13, 2015, 08:37:39 AM
As I understand it the TH are looking to put all the facilities needed for a bowls club when they can get the funds to do it. Why can't they get the pool bar involved as it is all there and this would save the TH money, the bar would make money from the bowlers.
The pool bar is already involved as, at the moment, they hold the keys to the green and do make money from the few that come along and try the green out.
Now here is the rub, this can only be a stopgap solution as any and all greens need to be replaced after a 6 to 8 year period.   This usually costs between 30,000 to 40,000 euros to replace.(no green, no bowling)
Thats not counting the annual running costs for maintenance, electric, insurance, etc., etc.,
this usually costs around 8,000 to 10,000 p.a. and thats not counting any wages/salaries.
Thats why a Club is usually formed and the members pay an annual fee to join, and use the green whenever they wish without paying green fees.    The other main source of revenue is the Bar which is usually run by the members themselves and all profits go towards maintaining/improving facilities.
the 3rd source of revenue is the Internal competitions between the members and External competitions from other visiting clubs(local and from abroad)
Now this green is a municipal Asset and all residents need to be catered for as well.
Ignore the dress code for the moment, the main priority is to make a success of the Alfoquia bowling green
so that it does not cost the residents of Zurgena an arm and a leg in the future.
The logical thing to do is find a balance and make it work.
D.J.
I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download...

cgmaywood

Thanks for this, I will indeed go along and have a go, as I say something I have always wanted to try and on my doorstep so no excuses!

Chrissy

stean

cjmaywood.  Don't be concerned about correct clothing, as you want to give bowls a try just go as you are. On Mondays and Wednesdays there are2 guys who will give you and anyone else some coaching ( Colin & Chris)
Please go along and give it a go.

webejamin

Tetley

Quote from: valliant on June 13, 2015, 14:30:27 PM
Back to dirt level again unless you have something sensible to say why don,t you both keep quiet.

i suppose a black leather days out then....... ;)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

valliant

Back to dirt level again unless you have something sensible to say why don,t you both keep quiet.

sleepy john

A good idea Tetley, but what balls should we be playing with. :lol:

Tetley

Why not just have a naturist bowling day ,then this will sort the clothing debate........ :o

a sort of pants off and roll yer woodern things along the green   ;D
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Rosemary

Correct me if this is not correct but l believe the bowling green was built for all people of Zurgena to enjoy and use therefore no one should be barred just because of dress code unless they are representing the club in a competition if anyone wishes to enforce this then there are other clubs around that already provide this maybe we should be the first to try this and maybe our membership will show that this is what the residents of Zurgena want

hurlez

I can understand the need for people to play in whites when it is a match ,but for the most part if you want a game between friends as long as flat bottomed footwear is worn what's the problem . In the UK a lot of clubs use a more inform dress code on non match playing . Don't let's put people off playing before the venue has had a chance to thrive.

cgmaywood

I am a non-bowler but have always wanted to have a go.  I hope whoever runs it gives beginners the opportunity to give it a try.  I am currently unsure I want to go along with some of the comments above, don't want to be scared off by not wearing the correct outfit or being up to standard!

Whilst I appreciate comments regarding wearing the correct attire surely this is something that can be addressed when people who have not tried before and are unsure of the rules pluck up the courage to give it a go! 

I hope it does not end up being for a select few.

We all have to start somewhere.

Chrissy

stean

As I understand it the TH are looking to put all the facilities needed for a bowls club when they can get the funds to do it. Why can't they get the pool bar involved as it is all there and this would save the TH money, the bar would make money from the bowlers.

david john

Quote from: david john on June 09, 2015, 14:09:13 PM
It seems to me, to be a choice between the T/H running the green, or putting the Management of the green
out for public tender.
There will be arguments, for and against, on both sides of the equation.
What are Your points of view....?   
Any more points of view from either local residents, or beginner bowlers or experienced bowlers?  :tiphat:
D.J.

david john

Point taken Malcolm, I misunderstood the meaning of wearing whites in relation to ability.
thanks for your quick reply.
D.J.

Malcolm

What I am saying is you are all at the same level and are recognised as such. I've played next to David Bryant but had I had jeans on I wouldn't have been allowed through the gate.

david john

I wish you were my Club Captain Malcolm, because if I were to wear what I liked on our roll ups, I would be sent off the green. :tiphat:
Serious question though: how can it help to judge my "standard of play" if I wear white?
regards
D.J.
D.J.

Malcolm

Dress code has always been part of playing bowls and helps to judge people on their ability to play and not where they are in the social scale. Roll ups are a different matter and you can wear what you want, but I had many years bowling in UK and dress code was strict. You could only take your tie off with the captains permission. Ladies wearing trousers,good heavens no.

david john

valliant:  Thats an interesting point about social (rollup) dress code.
I don't think thats been tried before in Spain....correct me someone if I am mistaken.  :tiphat:
D.J.

valliant

Stean it is all very well dressing in whites if you are representing the club in a match but if you are playing social bowls to dress in whites is rediculous Australia learned this their clubs were dieing until the dress code was laxed and now bowls is booming. If the dress code for whites is upheld then bowls in La Alfaqia will die or become an exclusive club.

stean

As a member of a bowling club here in Almeria, I hope La Alfaquia all the best for the future. To run a bowling club successfully will take very dedicated people to run it, and to run it for the serious and the fun bowlers. Mojacar have recently set up a new bowling club and it has taken experienced and willing people to do it. As for dressing up as flour graders, well we all represent our clubs and to dress in white gives the clubs a good image, otherwise to have people in Jean and flashy outfits will reflect badly.

jonno

I think those best experienced should run it. TH probably not best - but they could put conditions in there re "non serious bowlers" to any future people. In my opinion the "ad hoc" bowlers are less likely to stick with it.

thetidders

Remember those bowling greens at Heaton Park well, anyone was allowed to use them, not like some I could mention not that far away from there where women were not welcome on certain days either on the greens or into the club!

Jean
Jean & Vince Tildesley
ILLIA!

david john

Your welcome bryney, it is after all a Municipal Asset as we have both mentioned.
I also agree with TTT when he quoted:
"As a non bowler I would not expect to have to dress up like a McDougals Flour Grader to play a recreational game of bowls."
This has turned out to be an interesting debate, not only for us residents but also for the T/H who have to make a difficult decision about the future of the green.
It seems to me, to be a choice between the T/H running the green, or putting the Management of the green
out for public tender.
There will be arguments, for and against, on both sides of the equation.
What are Your points of view....?
D.J.

byrney

"The future use of the green, I am sure, (imho) will be a balance of all future users of this Municipal Asset" - many thanks David.  That was all I wanted to know.

However, I share TTT's comments, and merely make the point that it is a Municipal facility and if Clubs etc are established and book and pay for its use as I expect other users will have to, then that is absolutely fine.  :tiphat:

david john

Quote from: THOMAS THE TANK on June 09, 2015, 11:38:36 AM
Hi David John,
Your reply to Byrney is to say the least contradictory.  If the Town Hall have not yet decided the conditions, how can YOU be sure "that all Zurgena residents will be able to use the green as you have mentioned".
As I understand it, most Bowls Clubs have a strict dress code.  As a non bowler I would not expect to have to dress up like a McDougals Flour Grader to play a recreational game of bowls.
I would not say that my comment was contradictory. as I have brought this matter up with the councilor in charge of the new bowling green.
I also stated that "no decisions" would be made until after the election for obvious reasons.
However, the new green has been discussed prior to the election, as a survey was carried out on all those attending the excellent open day in early may. (Spanish and Ex-pats alike)
The future use of the green, I am sure, (imho) will be a balance of all future users of this Municipal Asset.

regards....D.J.
D.J.

david john

Not quite true......Other bowling clubs/members are interested in the future of The Alfoquia Bowling Green,
as they would like to come to Alfoquia for any future competitions.
I repeat, the future of the green and how it may be used by anyone is still in the hands of the Town Hall.

Any further questions, or doubts on the Alfoquia green, I will try to answer as honestly as I can, bearing in mind that I am only a resident bowler who would like to see the essential amenities started and completed.
D.J.

valliant

Seems to me other bowling clubs/individuals are already trying to take it over before it has even got going.

THOMAS THE TANK

Hi David John,
Your reply to Byrney is to say the least contradictory.  If the Town Hall have not yet decided the conditions, how can YOU be sure "that all Zurgena residents will be able to use the green as you have mentioned".
As I understand it, most Bowls Clubs have a strict dress code.  As a non bowler I would not expect to have to dress up like a McDougals Flour Grader to play a recreational game of bowls.

byrney

Thanks for the speedy reply David.

A "million" years ago when we were in the UK and more fit and active than we are now, we used to occasionally go with some friends to our local park (Heaton Park) in Manchester on a Saturday/Sunday and enjoy a game of (Crown Green) bowls prior to a few beers!  We never took it too seriously but it was good fun.

When we knew of the proposals for the LA Pool Bar we were delighted as it's only a few paces from our house and thought that we may be able to renew our interest.

I know though that there has in the past been a degree of "conflict" (in all sports) between serious "sportsmen/purists" and those who enjoy sport without the competitive element.

Whilst the articles you have published on the new site are extremely positive and auger well for the success of the new facility, I certainly read that the "serious" element appeared to be talking as though it is going to be a facility exclusively (?) for them and I just wanted to nip that notion in the bud, in that it is a local facility, primarily for local Zurgena residents (Spanish and ex-Pats alike), and hope that the Council will be taking steps to ensure that this will be the case.

Best wishes.

david john

Quote from: byrney on June 08, 2015, 22:08:07 PM
However, can we be assured that the new Green will be available for residents of Zurgena who wish to play in a less structured environment?
Hi byrney,
No decisions have been taken yet, on the new bowling green in Alfoquia, due to the elections in may.
The T/H will decide the conditions, but I am sure that all Zurgena residents will be able to use the green as you have mentioned.
Being a keen bowler myself, I can't wait for the facilities to be completed.

p.s. thanks for your kind comments about the new Alfoquia Website.
regards
D.J.

byrney

David, I've just had a look at the new website for La Alfoquia.  Impressive and I look forward to further development.

Just a small question about the Bowling Green which is mentioned on the site.

There are comments from both the Almeria Lawn Bowling Club and the Mojacar Bowling Club which relate to the formation of a Committee / new Bowling Club.

I think we would all welcome a Bowling Club for those wishing to participate in competitions etc.

However, can we be assured that the new Green will be available for residents of Zurgena who wish to play in a less structured environment?

eric blindell

Went today. No problem getting equipment etc. But could only play for half an hour - too bleeding hot. Found the greens very hard to follow but was a lot of fun. No doubt we will get used to it. Damn sight better than nothing.

david john

Until after the election, there are no official opening hours.
If anyone wishes to try the green out, the keys are available either from Enrique in the Pool bar
(to the far of the green) or the Town Hall.
Mats and Jacks are in the cabin.
D.J.

catheedle

Hi we did try it befor it was open but it was better this time but I can speak for my self

david john

The new bowling green may have just had an open day but the Tiger Turf was laid down last year
and thats when catheedle may have tried it out.
I know this for a fact as I was the 1st bowler to test the green out last year.
D.J.