Computer to TV link?

Started by musicdonna, September 11, 2012, 14:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: musicdonna on September 12, 2012, 15:02:55 PM
Thank you all for your helpful comments.  Where is the shop, please, Ping?
Donna

Donna,

By chance, I've just seen that Lidl have HDMI cables on offer, tomorrow (Thursday 13 September), for 6.99€.

They have rotatable plugs, which might be useful if you have any space limitations around the TV or the computer...

guest4538

Quote from: musicdonna on September 12, 2012, 15:02:55 PM
Thank you all for your helpful comments.  Where is the shop, please, Ping?
Donna

If you think a HDMI cable might do the job, then I would suggest that you try first using the HDMI cable, which presumably you already have between your TV and Satellite receiver. (POST ADDITION - Just unplug the cable only from your satellite receiver and plug that end into your computer instead...)

If it all works, then The Sheriff has made a suggestion as to where you can go locally. Personally, I usually buy cables on-line
(eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+cable&sprefix=hdmi%2Caps%2C584).

If you do buy from a shop, take care that you're not ripped off: many try to sell you their "special gold-silver-platinum-plated" HDMI cables (I've seen them at £50+), claiming that they are far superior for transmitting signals - it's all absolute rubbish, cheapest is usually best for both signal and pocket!

musicdonna

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  Where is the shop, please, Ping?

Donna

Elle1971

Ah... yes, you're right ping. You can't copy them onto external drives if from the iPlayer.

My apologies for misleading information.

Elle xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

guest4538

I'm not sure that you can 'sideload' saved BBCiplayer programmes except onto the 'specified mobile equipment' (I don't believe, for example, that a USB stick would be one of those)! But you should be able to use most TVs as a second monitor. And if you have a HDMI slot on your computer you can connect the two, and change your computer's screen resolution to suit.

Good luck...

Elle1971

See if you have a USB port on the back of your telly. Most new models do have. Then you can put your stuff onto a memory stick and plug it straight into your telly. That's what we do with all our music and movies now.

Hope you get sorted, whatever your connection is.

Elle xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

guest4538

Quote from: The Sheriff  ILLIA. on September 11, 2012, 15:10:45 PM
IO used an MDMI  cable form a newish Laptop to a newish TV - with no problems whatsoever.
Obtained mine from Dynos 4 mts  € 10.00  ?? 

Maybe HDMI?

The Sheriff ILLIA.

IO used an MDMI  cable form a newish Laptop to a newish TV - with no problems whatsoever.

Obtained mine from Dynos 4 mts  € 10.00  ?? 
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

hoppy1803

hi Donna
you will need an RGB cable
this will convert your tv into a pc monitor screen for your laptop

ADVANCE Digital

Hi Donna

It will depend on what connection you have on your PC/laptop and TV. It's best to check them first.

However there are a number of connection available, most laptops have a VGA out (blue female connector), if your TV has the same (maybe listed as PC input) you can get a VGA cable to connect to your TV.

If your laptop/PC and TV is a more recent one it may have a HDMI connector, a narrow flat connector which you can connect with that.

Your TV/Laptop/PC may have other suitable connectors also.

Have a look at the back of your PC and TV and see which connection match, also check your TV manual.

Cables are available at most computer shops.

Hope that helps even if it's only a start.

musicdonna

If I record something on iplayer which I then download to my PC, and then want to watch it on the TV screen which is much bigger, what lead do I need, please, and where do I put it?

Thank you,

Donna