Tree wounds

Started by PuffTheMagicDragon, July 14, 2009, 22:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midasdriver2001

PuffTheMagicDragon

Thanks for all your helpful advice, looks like I'll be confidently pruning my tree, without treatment, very soon.

gretch

terrytrees

Prunus species should be pruned in mid-Summer to avoid bacterial canker and silver leaf disease.Better still don't prune unless you have to.There's no need to treat the pruning cut but make sure it is clean.Many trees become infected through damage caused by Winter winds so some form of protection is usefull.
Terrytrees.

olly

You don`t need to put anything on the wound, when you prune the tree, IF you prune it correctly and at the right time. They are normally pruned in late winter, but the best time to prune is late summer, so they get over the stress of pruning before the cooler weather comes and brings with it the possibility of fungal and bacterial infections. Also when you prune, make sure you prune as close as possible to the trunk but don`t damage the bark, clean up any bad cuts with a good pruning knife.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

willemina

I know that with a lot of trees the best time to prune is when they are not growing. That way you do not have to do anything about the wounds as there are no juices flowing. Therefore local farmers prune olives after picking the olives or just before they start growing again.
If your in a cold area it might be better to prune after the frost nights and just before the tree starts to grow again.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Hi Frankie, yes I've noticed that also about the locals, but this is quite a small cherry tree, in a pot in the patio, which I think may make it more vulnerable, also it was given to us as a present, and therefore, I don't want to take any chances.

PuffTheMagicDragon

I want to prune a small cherry tree and want something to put on the 'wounds' to protect them. The products I've seen in shops are quite expensive, after all, it's just for one small tree.
Does anyone know of an everyday product, that I may have around the house or in my shed that I could use?
I wonder, what did people use before these fancy products were put on the market?

Thanks
gretch