Jacaranda...advice please

Started by Suej, April 16, 2011, 10:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bongobob

:clap: :clap: :clap: perhaps the rain did some good!

Suej

Update on my Jacaranda..
One tiny leaf has appeared from the bottom... so not dead!!! I'll wait and see if it gets any further up

Sue

Suej

Thank you everyone, I really hope it comes back, I hate losing anything but this would be very sad indeed as I think they are probably my favourite tree.
I'll keep an eye on it and my fingers crossed

Sue

bongobob

Yes,I also thought ours had died,all gone black,but this week it has started to sprout from the main trunk and thicker branches. This one has been in for at least 7 years,will have to wait to see if it flowers!

Lynne

We thought we'd lost ours too.  We put it in last October and failed to make sure that it was protected during the frosts this winter.  Yesterday we did notice that there were a few sprouts appearing at the bottom, so we'll leave it for now and see what happens.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

bigtallgeezer

Ours was 'killed' by that really harsh week below freezing week we had a few years ago, but it re-sprouted three new little trunks from the bottom....
I'm at 550 metres above sea level so stuff is a little bit behind here but the leaves on ours are only 2 or 3 inches long at the moment....I'd give it until the middle of the year myself, giving it plenty of water in the meantime.
:tiphat:
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

olly

It sounds like the frost may have got to it, as Jacarandas are certainly frost tender, any temperatures below 7 Centigrade can cause problems.
Personally I would give it at least six months to try and recover, as, if any of the root has survived it may regrow from the base.
The other tree may be unaffected because it's position is more sheltered. The location makes a big differance, especially with air frosts, which we tend to get a lot more of over here than ground frosts, but are just as damaging to all plants.
Hope it recovers as they're beautiful trees, good luck with it.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Suej

Hi hoping someone may be able to help.
I have a Jacaranda tree that has been in the grarden 5 years and has flowered the last three.
So far this year it is showing no signs of life at all, I have another in a completely different part of the garden and that has new leaves.
The trunk of the one showing no life is quite black. How long should I give it before deciding it is completely dead and why would it suddenly die. I know a lot of things have been lost this winter because of the frost but can it kill trees after 5 years? it happily survived the snow a few years ago and all the gales we get.

Thanks Sue