bad fuel

Started by fastboy, June 23, 2013, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not_Asking_Much

With petrol and diesel vehicles across Europe the only difference I've noticed (with cheap or expensive branded fuels) is dirt. On occasion, driving the length of France left the fuel filter very dirty, and that was with the 'big' brands. Eventually I used to take filters with me on the longer journeys and keep an eye on things.

Quote from: PRINGLE on July 05, 2013, 13:10:59 PM
last year i stopped for fuel at indapak. within 300 mtrs, the car coughed and spluttered and wouldnt run right, went straight back and politely asked if... ...found  a small plastic blanking plug on the inlet manifold had  disintegrated due to age. replaced with a rubber plug and hey presto, back to normal.    moral of the story:  be 101% sure before jumping to conclusions...
It's very fair of you to put this side of the story – thanks.

Quote from: cgmaywood on July 05, 2013, 13:17:33 PM
...His vehicle is only six years old and he has had it from new, regularly serviced by Nissan...
Chrissy
Unfortunately 'regular servicing by dealer' doesn't always mean a lot. Back in the UK we marked components on my father's 'regularly serviced' company car, and sure enough virtually no work was being done to the vehicle. That was a Ford main dealer. On complaining they agreed they'd take it in again free of charge. How kind!

On a later occasion, next company car, same dealer, he came home one day with disk pads down to the metal and ruined disks. Serviced (ha ha) the week before. They said he was obviously heavy on the brakes...

gus-lopez

I can't see how the fuel pump can be blocked as the fuel filter would block first, especially on common-rail diesels as the filter is far finer than the old mechanical injection ones.  ???
I've had a common-rail filter block from using bio-fuel in less than 8k kms.

byrney

Just because the fuel in the tank was "dirty" doesn´t necessarily mean that it is has come from one lot of "bad" fuel.

Back in the day, when cars were cars, and normal people knew what the bits and bobs were under the bonnet, we were always told never to let our tanks get close to empty as it would drag "sludge" up from the bottom of the tank.

So, unless anyone can prove otherwise, I think it´s safe to say that the garage concerned has not sold "bad" fuel.

Fickle

Quote from: fastboy on July 05, 2013, 16:03:42 PM
blocked fuel pump dirty fuel so i was told
Have you been back to Indapak to complain?

PuffTheMagicDragon

Some years ago someone wrote to the Daily Telegraph motoring section, asking 'how could supermarkets sell fuel cheaper than the oil companies themselves'.
The reply went something like this: 'the oil companies' supply fuel to anyone that wants to buy it, they can have it as it is, or have additives in it, these additives make the engine run cleaner, smoother, more efficiently and more economically etc. The supermarkets, presumably, have little, if any, additives in their fuel'.
So the bottom line is : you get what you pay for :wave

Puff

fastboy

blocked fuel pump dirty fuel so i was told

Fickle

Quote from: fastboy on June 26, 2013, 07:55:44 AM
having driven 3.500kl  to and back from uk with no probs and then filled up with fuel the car stopped after 15kl just wondered if it was fuel hence the posting, the car is still in the seat garage may get it back today it may be the fuel pump but not sure at the moment
So, what was the verdict, fastboy? You've had 9 days to post whether it was bad fuel or a worn out car.

cgmaywood

Thank you for your comments, my enquiry was only asking for info and not part of the "compensation culture" nor jumping to conclusions!!  Just trying to help out a friend.  His vehicle is only six years old and he has had it from new, regularly serviced by Nissan.

Just waiting for the report from the garage and yes it may just be wear and tear, he will pay whatever it costs to put it right and hopefully all will be well going forward.

Chrissy

PRINGLE

last year i stopped for fuel at indapak. within 300 mtrs, the car coughed and spluttered and wouldnt run right, went straight back and politely asked if he put the right fuel in (petrol, not diesel). he said he did and the young lad was a bit annoyed at the accusation. two weeks later after a new fuel filter, new plugs, oil and filter change, several fill-ups with repsol fuel,still the same. started looking for loose wires, connectors in the ignition, etc. found  a small plastic blanking plug on the inlet manifold had  disintegrated due to age. replaced with a rubber plug and hey presto, back to normal.    moral of the story:  be 101% sure before jumping to conclusions.

repair bills. i wouldnt put it past garages especially spanish ones (from experience, not discrimination) to put add-ons when they know that they can blame it on something else( bad fuel is a good  one because that can cover everything from engine to fuel systems. open check-book. especially us millionaire english.  this is from first hand experience.

gus-lopez

Quote from: Tetley on July 05, 2013, 12:23:47 PM
and the other problem here with 2nd hand modern motors is....... incorrect millage.... the motor may have a service book stamped up to the millage when you buy it ,however that doesnt mean it hasent been laptop millage corrected hence your running a motor thats got 170,000 on the clock thats done 300,000.

aledgedly of course   :tiphat:
No definitely ! I sold a car I had from new ,with FFsh & 113,000kms on the clock ,Up in  Alicante  & saw it a few weeks later on their website with ' only' 82,000 kms !  :lol:
There was a story in the news this week that Trafico :police: had started investigating up that way as the kms are recorded at ITV's & apparently someone has now 'discovered' that they have many itv'd vehicles with 10's of 000's of kms less at the following itv !!  :rofl:

Tetley

and the other problem here with 2nd hand modern motors is....... incorrect millage.... the motor may have a service book stamped up to the millage when you buy it ,however that doesnt mean it hasent been laptop millage corrected hence you MAY  be running a motor thats got 170,000 on the clock thats done 300,000.

aledgedly of course   :tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Tetley

Genraly speaking

i would only buy" best deisel " if i had a "money  modern deisel " motor from the likes of BP & Repsol and the other thing is changing filters regular,in my own veiw i change oil and filters at 6000km and deisel filters at 10,000kms these modern deisel engines are a nightmere when they go west and normaly very expensive so its worth putting best deisel in and if there is a contamination issue a person can argue with BP & Repsol direct.

:tiphat:

fuels a bit like cheap Vodka,they will both get yer xxxxx but the cheap stuff nacks yer motor quicker (aladgedly  ;) )
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

Chrissy - or just a fact of life that vehicles do sometimes break down which has nothing to do with anybody else being "at fault".

Unfortunately, the UK compensation culture appears to have followed us to Spain.

cgmaywood

My friend who always buys his fuel from either Damotrell or Indapak has just had his car taken to the garage and has been advised that the fuel injectors have gone and also the turbo, total cost for repair 2,000 euros.

I am not saying the fuel from these petrol stations is to blame we are awaiting the technical report from the garage to confirm one way or the other but there appears to be something wrong as another friend who also uses these two outlets had his vehicle in the garage recently, 600 euros to repair.

Has anybody challenged these outlets and been successful with a claim??  I appreciate that a large amount of you say you have never had any problems with these outlets, just interested.

Maybe it is down the type of vehicle?

Chrissy

Not_Asking_Much

Knowing what's under the bonnet of a petrol and diesel vehicle, I can't believe you'd get 15km away from a 'bad' supplier. Also, yes, you'd be seeing a lot of other vehicles at the side of the road.

The people who fill a diesel car with petrol, as an example, typically get less than a mile (1.6km) away from the forecourt before running into serious problems.

byrney

"last time in UK we saw one of their lorries on M25" - on the hard shoulder Mike with its bonnet up?  :lol:

mike challinor

Please don't blame Fastboy! This was an idiotic posting - I use Indapak all the time for my Diesel, and have done for the past 3 years or so and my Focus has now done  325,000 K !!!!
When I read your posting re "Bad Fuel" and which Station you were talking about, I got worried.
Then I thought "don't be stupid, they put it in their own vehicles", and last time in UK we saw one of their lorries on M25 !!!

Mike Challinor

fastboy

there is always at least one idiotic reply and its gringo

Grumpy Gringo

Fastboy or is it Deadhead????? Do you realise, you plonker, that you could have ruined someone's business by "I only thought". If I'd got to UK & back in an imitation VW I would be so chuffed I would be shouting from the rooftops.

fastboy

having driven 3.500kl  to and back from uk with no probs and then filled up with fuel the car stopped after 15kl just wondered if it was fuel hence the posting, the car is still in the seat garage may get it back today it may be the fuel pump but not sure at the moment

byrney

"Until then, there's absolutely no evidence of bad fuel at Indapak", and "they're hardly likely to use it in their lorries if it's bad".

That´s precisley the point I´m making.

It seems strange that only one vehicle is affected by allegedly "bad fuel" when so many vehicles are filled up with it. 

I would rather suspect that the breakages are a result of a mechanical failure of the vehicle rather than "bad fuel" - but I suppose it´s worth a go at getting compo.....

p2une

I must admit, part of the reason we use them too is because they use the diesel for their own vehicles - they're hardly likely to use it in their lorries if it's bad!
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most

Fickle

Quote from: byrney on June 25, 2013, 20:56:18 PM
Fickle - "fastboy hasn't said he was supplied bad fuel".

Well, with similarly great respect, what on earth do YOU read into the comment -

"Filled up yesterday and now we have a dead car"?
It's an inference I grant you, but he hasn't actually said he has been supplied with bad fuel. I'll be looking forward to the engineer's report if fastboy gets it posted on here.
Until then, there's absolutely no evidence of bad fuel at Indapak.

byrney

Fickle - "fastboy hasn't said he was supplied bad fuel".

Well, with similarly great respect, what on earth do YOU read into the comment -

"Filled up yesterday and now we have a dead car"?

lordandlady

I use this garage on a regular basis and have never had a prob... I questioned the bad fuel referal with the garage and they said the same if it was fuel it wouldnt be 1 car it would be all. They told me that in the past a person had called police and they checked gas and gave it the all clear and that the garage that fixed the vehicle said that the vehicle had a broken filter !!!!! 
I can honestly say I have never had a problem with the fuel from this garage in either vehicle

Fickle

Quote from: byrney on June 25, 2013, 18:07:36 PM
I must admit that this (and previous) threads about "bad fuel" allegedly coming from a single source does confuse me.

with respect, fastboy hasn't said he was supplied bad fuel.

villegas

To be honest that one of the reasons we have used them, thinking the fuel they go thro must be into 10,000 litres, with that lot going thro the system, surely it must be ok!!!

dampmen

Indepak have a fleet of about 200 trucks and they use it for them. I saw an artic filling up today!!!!!!!

byrney

I must admit that this (and previous) threads about "bad fuel" allegedly coming from a single source does confuse me.

Surely if a garage was supplying "bad fuel" it would be "bad" for everybody who got their vehicles filled up there.

Wouldn´t that mean that there ought to be a pile of broken down vehicles on the highways and byways around the garage?

p2une

We use Indapak all the time for diesel for our car, have done for a few years.  Never had a problem, but I'll be interested to see if your problem is directly attributable to them fastboy.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most

glenholt

Thanks for that info fastboy, hope you get it all sorted (would be interested how you get on.)

fastboy

indepark is the garage i used  car goes in to workshop today

glenholt

I understand what you are saying fidgetmidget, the garage you have mentioned has a history, but fastboy says it is not the garage that you are on about, I wish to know which garage he is refering to for obvious reasons. 

fidgetmidget

The garage I am referring to is the Damotrell one at the Cantoria/Partaloa exit off the Baza Road.  The one that has a restaurant directly behind it.  You come off the main road and have to go round the back of the roundabout to get to the garage.  (Think it is or used to be a shell garage)
FM
Fidget Midget
Wer'e all going on a European Tour - Up The Clarets!
www.benidormsoulfiesta.com

glenholt

If its not the big one on the turn off for Partaloa, which one is it.