Moving to Arboleas area

Started by Coorda, June 03, 2013, 16:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT

Do we really need another Internet provider in this area ?

Trucker

Seems the conclusion to your question is.... DONT DO IT... :dig:

Roger

But I am not going to mislead people about the problems for young people in this area.
The Town Hall is trying to find employment for some of the huge numberr of unemployed, but the problem is massive.
Look at the employment rate for young people in Spain/
It is worst here.
To get a decent job the girls will need to get Spanish qualifications.
Entering the Spanish education system at 16?

Elle Sid

You are wise to rent.

Property values have tumbled over the last half decade and all the signs are that this trend will continue. Buying a property in the area in the current economic crisis could prove a very poor investment. it could be decades before values recover, if ever.

I echo the comments made about the area being unsuitable for teenagers, particularly if they don't speak Spanish.

Sapper

Well said Roger hes totally right they will have no life here.

you may have to pay for health care at least 2000 a year

Roger

Most people who live in Arboleas are happy here.
They have legal houses and they enjoy eating out at very reasonable prices.
For some it can be very hot in June July August but you quickly get used to it.

BUT BUT BUT
Most people who live here are pensioners.
What are your daughters going to do.
How will they get into education with no Spanish.
How will they get a job.
How will they have a social life.

This whole area, including the coast, is a quiet retreat with very little enterprises, and those that are here are mostly family run.

Wait until the girls are 5 years older and do not live at home.

nicki

Quote from: awaywiththefairies on June 06, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
I would have liked to have been brutally honest in my post but then I would have been slated by some forum users for my negativity :o

In a nutshell its a lovely place for a quiet retirement, otherwise forget it you have 'missed the boat' by about 10 years!!!  ...there I've said it.

I agree with all of that. We have just had a wonderful weeks holiday there meeting up with all our friends but we all realised there is no way we could move back. We heard of another 3 families moving back. My son is now 16 and he said he is so pleased we moved back to the UK. If you are retired and want the quiet life, go for it, its a lovely place to live, but for young people who have not been brought up there, it would be difficult to find anything to do. Stick to the coast or closer to the coast. Its where I would go if we had to move back.  :)

awaywiththefairies

I would have liked to have been brutally honest in my post but then I would have been slated by some forum users for my negativity :o

In a nutshell its a lovely place for a quiet retirement, otherwise forget it you have 'missed the boat' by about 10 years!!!  ...there I've said it.

Cielos

Quote from: ABRAHAM on June 04, 2013, 17:16:08 PM
Hi so many negative postings.
This is a good place to live.
It would be an advantage to learn Spanish but Arboleas will not be the best place to settle for that.
Its a nice place but Very dead most of the time.
A balance would be around Vera which is not far from the Playa.
If you already have an established internet business then I assume it does not matter where you live.
However if you can learn Spanish there are a lot of companies setting up here which provide a service to help people set up in business.
I know they are always looking for English speakers to help them in export led internet ideas.
Also you should ensure that anywhere you rent has a good quality land line as the internet from any other service can be quite slow and unreliable.
Might I suggest you look at Villaricos or further a field such as Carbonaras 

"very dead most of the time" is the most negative comment on this thread :lol:

I think the posts on here are realistic rather than negative, however if you prefer:

Weather's great - spring-like conditions all year round

Plenty of work and opportunities, especially if you're young

Really easy to set up a successful business and grow it - the Spanish encourage foreigners in business and it's really easy

Internet business?  Oh yes, plenty of room/demand in the market for that ...

TOECUTTER

Just 1 bit of advice for you

The only thing in sPAIN you can be 100% sure of, is you CAN'T be 100% sure of anything. France or sPAIN I know where I'd sooner be
Click on this link and ask yourself " Is it worth it "

http://www.almanzora-au.org/

Stay where you are

ABRAHAM

Hi so many negative postings.
This is a good place to live.
It would be an advantage to learn Spanish but Arboleas will not be the best place to settle for that.
Its a nice place but Very dead most of the time.
A balance would be around Vera which is not far from the Playa.
If you already have an established internet business then I assume it does not matter where you live.
However if you can learn Spanish there are a lot of companies setting up here which provide a service to help people set up in business.
I know they are always looking for English speakers to help them in export led internet ideas.
Also you should ensure that anywhere you rent has a good quality land line as the internet from any other service can be quite slow and unreliable.
Might I suggest you look at Villaricos or further a field such as Carbonaras 

Cielos

Agree with the last 3 posts on here and can't help asking why you are thinking of moving from France, especially as your business sounds as if it is weathering the current financial climate?

Talking of climate, the weather here is extreme, either very cold or very hot for at least 8 months of the year

I also really don't think your children will find it easy or enjoyable...

Gal

Couldn't you wait a few years until your children are old enough to fend for themselves.   Why take an 18 and 16 year old to southern Spain with the state it's in??

Great that you want to do long term rental as that's the smart move.  If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out for you you can easily move on.

Have you not considered moving closer to a more cosmopolitan style city....why move to the retirement area, which is what it is basically, when you have children who are stepping out into a very difficult world.   You are renting so why not move closer to Madrid or Barcelona, or Granada or somewhere?  Give your two girls a chance ?

awaywiththefairies

I notice that no one has replied to your post....There are so many pros and cons about living in the area that it is very much down to individual preference.  The main points that seem to be raised when replying to your type of post (which appear on the forum quite frequently) are :-

Rent before you buy
There are no jobs/work...extremely high unemployment as much as 50% for school/college leavers!
To make a success of a business/find work you need to speak or at least be prepared to quickly learn Spanish
Most business ideas have been tried already - with quite a high failure rate
There is very little for teens who have not been brought up in the area and intergrated.  Most 18plus youngster have returned to the UK (yes I know there are exceptions!!)
Its not always hot  ;D in fact it can be bl***dy cold in winter
Mojacar is not 'that' busy and may be preferable business/entertainment wise especially with teens/20's
I am not sure exactly what an 'Internet Service Company' is but if you provide 'coverage' there are quite a few companies doing this and a number of towns have free coverage. (sorry if I have your business wrong).  If you are providing some sort of service for businesses then remember it is a mainly agricultural area - and a poor one at that.

It is a lovely peaceful place to live with a nice expat community, very little trouble.  It has all the amenities but you have to drive a distance for some of them.  If you are used to living in a rural environment you will probably like it ;D

verwood

Hi
we lived in Callac in Brittany, we moved down to Spain about 4years ago and we love it here we are not in Arboleas, although that was where we rented for 6 months while we were property searching.

Coorda

Dear forum members,
i´m new on the forum and hope to have found the right place to get some information and contacts.
We are a family of 4 (parents 63, 57 and 2 girls 16 and 18), actually living in Brittany/France and moving to Mojacar area end of august 2013. We have booked some accommodation for the months of september and october 2013 to allow us to check for a convenient long term rental.
Arboleas seems to be a good place to "settle" away from the coastal crowd and to participate to the local social life.
Well, Internet is fine to get information. But are they real? 
Please note that we own an internet service company we need to relocate and establish at the new place by eventually hiring staff.
Thank you for any information you might provide.

Peter+Rita SULSER
14 Rue du Chene des Forts
22100 Saint-Helen
Brittany, France
Phone: +33-623-72.50.77