The program/ A Place in the Sun.

Started by The Reiver, September 26, 2012, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmj52

There are a few good financial advisers about you know. Who do not get paid commission, but agree a fee with the client. I know many people who have been protected from financial difficulty and loss, by good financial planning. Also who have saved tax and had a good return on their investments. So don't make such sweeping statements.
You have onviously had a bad experience!
But it would be like saying all the following are the lowest of the low because I have had a bad experience: taxi drivers, painter and decorators, plumbers, roofers and builders, police officers, civil servants, claims departments, anyone serving in a shop, teachers, bar staff, waiters, TV engineers, internet providers, car insurance companies, banks and bank staff, train and bus services, airport check in, car rentals etc.......
I have also had very good experiences and service from the same list.
:clap:
LMJ
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

keyser soze

Elle sid

I think that along with politicians and financial advisors estate agents really are  the lowest of the low

They all will sink lower that whale ****   dung

Elle Sid

I've checked the nationwide price index and you are right! I find that very surprising because that's not what local estate agents have been saying! But they are probably just looking for an easy ride!

keyser soze

Elle sid
I don't know what part of the UK you think house prices have "dramatically slumped" but here in the south east the prices have always steadily risen, albeit slowly. I accept the prices "oop north" has seen a hugely decline but there was always and remains a north/south divide. I think it starts at watford.

If you lived in the south east and moved to spain in the late noughties, the gap to return to UK and buy a comparable property that you once had is now huge

Louise

good or bad economical times...good or bad advisors and investments...everywhere and at all times...

BUT 300.000 or more ILLEGAL HOUSES in Andalucia ??? Should there be something wrong with the political and judicial system?

Elle Sid

You've hit the nail on the head Tetley!

It's unlikely that the present generation of Spanish property owners will ever recoup their outlay if they bought during the boom years, but the same can be said of those who bought in Britain where the fall has also been dramatic. Factor in that in 2005 the exchange rate was iro 1.4 to 1.5 against 1.8 to 1.85, now the loss on the Spanish purchase is not as significant in terms of £ as many people think.

More worrying is the ever increasing Eurozone crisis coupled with indications of an extended double dip recession which may become an all out European or even worldwide depression. Even the Chinese economy, once hailed as the economic powerhouse of the future, is beginning to show cracks.

The rioting in European capitals Athens and Madrid (and I'd bet very soon Paris, after France's anticipated austerity budget) is likely to spread and lead to growing civil unrest which could spiral out of control across Europe making matters worse.

The stark facts are that the human race is, and has been for some time, living beyond it's means

Time to cut our throats?    sunrun  v(

dancequeen

Not_Asking_Much

I saw one not long ago that showed (I think it was) the Cape Verde isles. Very reminiscent of some areas of Spain. The couple went completely overboard and declared they'd 'invest' in three properties.

End of prog credits: FX Rates as of July '07. (bank crash pretty much in sight then...)  :o

astonmartin

99.  Fiancial advisor is he!! Most of those "so called" advisors are in it like the estate agents, "FOR THE CASH" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CT

Some of these programmes are as old as 2003 (look for the copyright details at the end) and are hopelessly misleading when it comes to prices and properties.On most of the ones I've seen the couples, perhaps wisely, decide not to buy anything !

Tetley

Well my overveiw,is were in for an extremly long bust here,without wishing any body any disrispect the boom here was driven by a false uk genarated  political feel good boom,anybody buying 1999 & 2001 is still within value and has probably made money.

most home owners here now are in there twilight years,a lot payed top market value at the time and now its dropping like a stone,the other major problem,is Spain is not helping its self and is not ivestor helpfull ,compound that with the finaciel troubles and possibly cival un rest on its way and it deffinatly cuts your customer base down.

plus of coarse we now have the BOE  cheif saying that the uk gloom could last for another 8 years or longer if the euro does actualy impload , so the lengh of the uk bust will also effect uk spending ,however if the euro does melt and we go back to a 1.45/ 1.55 pound then that may stimulate a reduced priced market,however as always if its 80k buyers will still offer 65k.

this is just my veiw,i dont want a bun fight as im welding  (not the ibi  Vespa   ;D )  and its raining  ;)    :tiphat:  
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

ramblarider

Quote from: carwyn99 on September 26, 2012, 20:16:11 PM

Too many people did buy properties to rent out (Buy to let) believing they could make a good return.

Most had no experience of renting or being in business so never budgeted for lean times.
Most just thought easy money.

Exactly. Two old sayings cover this very well.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

A fool and his/her money are easily parted.

Property prices go up. They go down. If you look at it as a investment, rather than somewhere to live, then you are gambling, simple as that. Just as much a gamble as playing the stock market. You can "make a fortune" - or you can lose one. The key thing is to avoid selling on a downward cycle. Usually, if you can afford to hang on in there, eventually, things pick up again. Could be a long wait this time, of course...

zilnor

There is an article in today´s Daily Telegraph about the demolition of Len and Helen Prior´s house near Vera, and their long legal fight for compensation. The final comment was words to the effect of even if they eventually win their case, they may have to wait forever to receive anything, due to the near bankrupt state of Spain. A very sad story.

carwyn99

Tintin

But as my son a financial adviser always says.

The value of a house is only important if you are planning to sell it.

tintin

Carwynn,
I could not agree with you more and by buying a property to let out is a gamble, not only in spain, but other countries as well. Even in the UK prices have dropped, its about time people thought of their house as a place to live in rather than £££ or €€€ . how many of us bought some years ago when prices were low, thought we were sitting on a nice profit especially if we upgraded a few times.no matter what its worth its only the kids inheritance.
I do feel sorry for those people who need to sell and leave Spain and due to a few rip off merchants building on rustic land and the Spanish way of doing things ie bribery causing problems, I still think Spain has a lot to offer and coming to live there permanently in March to my much undervalued villa, iv'e lost about 25% on paper
Mike

carwyn99

Do not really understand what The Place in the Sun has done wrong.

Surely people are not that foolish to believe a TV programme.

Too many people did buy properties to rent out (Buy to let) believing they could make a good return.

Most had no experience of renting or being in business so never budgeted for lean times.
Most just thought easy money.

But like all business deals more fail than succeed.

Gal

Personally I think that A Place in the Sun should be sued by all those who are trapped in Spain.   They were a big part of the 'con the Brits' package with British estate agents.   It wasn't just the corrupt Spanish banks/developers/agents....Brits were in on it as well.     

Buy this and rent it out for a fortune each week.    That mentality has destroyed families after the 'crash' of the good times.

There should be a health warning on programmes such as it.    Shame on them for continuing to show them.

Louise

Quote from: lmj52 on September 26, 2012, 14:43:08 PM
Would be nice if they compensated the Priors and allowed them to rebuild. That is good news and publicity, and may have a positive impact on the situation.

No, this is what they absolutely want to avoid. If they set the example here, the rest (300.000) follows and all townhalls are bankrupt....

Not even a personal juridical attack works; I have tried it. It just goes down a deep black hole

doreen1

cantabrian

Quote from: doreen1 on September 26, 2012, 14:15:46 PM
Hi Alfie ,   
yes you are right, got a bit confused, it was cocktail hour here when it was on.  :lol: :handshake
[/quote
                  HEY,Miss Soreen ,the BLACK stuff is getting to you!! Enjoy ARFURS DAY!!! :wave :wave :lol:

lmj52

Would be nice if they compensated the Priors and allowed them to rebuild. That is good news and publicity, and may have a positive impact on the situation.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

doreen1

Hi Alfie ,   
yes you are right, got a bit confused, it was cocktail hour here when it was on.  :lol: :handshake

Louise

The good-news-show goes on. Recnetly I was in contact with TV and newspapers regarding the situation here. There is a block on this negative news. The press is under control. Investigations regarding irregularities are not allowed due to political reasons.

alfie

From what I remember, the asking price for the house was just under £150k [much reduced from the original asking price] and the prospective purchasers offered a paltry £134k, which, not surprisingly, was rejected! The voice-over at the end of the programme said that they were deciding whether to increase their offer.

doreen1

I watched that programme and Im sure the couple bought the villa. Also it was filmed January 2012. :wave

freddie

I suppose we have to remember that most of these programmes are from years ago, I think some we have been watching with her in have been from 2006-09 - I was watching one about Ireland and they were saying you need to buy now as prices are going up all the time - 199000 for an x council house - probably cant give them away now - very misleading they dont often put the date relevant to when the programme was made.   It will be interesting to see the prices when the programme is shown which they completed a few months ago - spanish property choice from Mojacar were involved in this and it will be interesting to see what Sharon and Steve said.  If you know when it is being shown share the info please - lots of our friends are interested in seeing this one!!!!

:wave :wave :wave

The Reiver

Last night I watched this Program presented by Jasmin and I could not believe my ears. She was trying to sell a Rural Property in Valencia. She explained there was no rates to pay. The roadway had to be tarmaced etc. The price had been reduced, halved and was a real bargain at £150,000. These people were totally ignorant of the situation they could have found themselves in! I was astounded at how stupid this was.