New year in Arby....

Started by Keithh, January 01, 2018, 11:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmj52

Happy new year to all. We went to la Herradura in los Montesinos near Guardamar. Stayed with friends. An awesome evening. 7 course tasting menu, with wine paired to complement the courses. Started with champagne reception at 8.00 o'clock and went on past 4.00 am. Music, dancing flamenco. Was 95 Euro each but all drinks included. Food was amazing. Service spot on.
Had lunch by the beach on new year's day, sitting in the sun. Cafes and restaurants were bustling. A lovely warm sunny day.
That was such a different experience.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

nibbler

Unlike the UK Spain is still family orientated and as such like to spend Christmas eve and New years eve with the family. Then like most Fiesta's here they come out about 1130 and party.
Nibbler :bravo_2:

Keithh

Thanks trucker. Your advice was helpful for the future. I've joined the Whats On Facebook page, and we'll go exploring.

Tetley

We just whent down new deli 40 quid, for 3 of us ,nice meal,came home log burner on,glass I vinous, nile Rodgers on box doing some favs, didn'tg have to kiss any buggxr  i don't like,job done happy yorkshire  /European new year  :))
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Trucker

If you have facebook look for whats on around Arboleas...there are loads of stuff going on every week...bands and  singers in local bars and with free entry...top quality singers and bands too...seek and you will find...

raysun

lorrydriver

We have lived here for eighteen years and being a rural part of Spain it is totally family orientated, you need the big cities if you want to party.

flintstone

Quote from: casablanca on January 01, 2018, 16:04:09 PM
flintstone: I wouldn't dream of calling it Arby, I call it Arbiland ::) Do you really think that matters?

No Casablanca, anyone from Stoke, or as I like to call it "Pottyland", can call it what they like.

Rtis

Was going to mention Mojacar , but hartcjhart put the dampers on that one !!!! Many, Many years ago Mojacar was the place to have a Rave Up ! The Showmans bar only shut when the last guest were leaving,NO entrance fee just the odd peseta on the drinks with a Free buffet !!! We just had a rave in the pueblo, Antonio at 84 managed 4 grapes and fell asleep about 12.06, the rest of us carried on until about 4rish food still being cooked on an open fire (with blow pipe for stoking !) This year no talk about franco was brought up!! SO, yeah it was O.K !

Trucker

Bar Tropicana with food...and Bar Carrillo in Almanzora village were open and having parties with singers,,, Maloans had a music night with Stiff Upper Lip band (brilliant band) and Chicken and Chips all for €10...there were several bars open doing food and bands...

booboo

We learnt years ago that you have to book on big fiestas. The Spanish know how to party you just have to join in.

casablanca

flintstone: I wouldn't dream of calling it Arby, I call it Arbiland ::) Do you really think that matters?

hartcjhart

not much better in 'metropolitan' mojacar(the playa) 1 bar open till 9pm,1 open later everywhere else either shut or charging up to 70euros for the night,Xmas was OK so next year I might well tootle off to Benidorm for new year

ajc

we always used to have a party in the rambla , music , fireworks , fire , great fun ! not anymore though everyone from then apart from a few have gone back to UK they were good times , then easter would arrive and the ramblas became a race track !

flintstone

I think they were shut to avoid the people who insist on calling their home village "Arby". I am sure they wold not consider calling Birmingham "Birmy" or Liverpool "Livy".

KJH3

As this is considered Rural Spain i guess its the norm, has been since we came several years ago. Some bars are open and have food/entertainment and charge entry fee but then you have the problems of finding a taxi and hoping it arrives or break the law or worse.
We have found it best to have small celebrations at home. Of course if you want what the big towns or cities have, the clue is there. However never expect it to be as in the UK, it wont be.

Keithh

So, did we miss it all? Did the bars open in Arby later? Was it good?! We thought the azerbache would be open, at least, but the gates were closed at 9.

telcaz

Well we live in Palomares and my wife works as a Chef in Villaricos, she got home about ten thirty and by the time she had showered and dressed it was 11 15, there are 7 Bars here in Palomares and not one of them was open, i don't know why i was surprised because about six years ago on Christmas eve my wife was in England, so i went out for a drink with a friend and her parents, we lived in Zurgena at the time, so first went to Albox, nowhere open, the same in Arboleas, we even drove out to Hotel Overa, no luck there either,  we eventually managed to get a drink in the Bar on the right between the Traffic Lights, it was a private party for their staff, but because they knew us the let us in.
              Terry

eric blindell

Perfectly normal.  We made the same mistake years ago.  Stayed sober all day for a good night out.  All bars were closed so we went home.  Then found out the bars didn't open until 11 and everyone had a great time - except us who stayed in and watched telly ! Lesson learned  :19:

Keithh

We're new here, and this is our first time staying over Xmas and new year. We didn't make any prior arrangements for celebrations because we arrived late, however, we booked into a Chinese in albox for an early New Year's Eve meal. The food was fine, but there was little atmosphere, and it was booked up, so they put us outside which, despite some gas burners was a bit cold.
We decided not to stay and left to come back into Arby for a drink. It was like a ghost town! Everywhere was shut! So, we came home at watched the TV with a bottle of cava.
Is this the norm for New Year's Eve in town?
And, while I'm here, where are the lively bars and good restaurants in the Arby/Albox area?