Giant Toad.

Started by olly, September 27, 2018, 18:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuidarbol

Doorb69

Cuidarbol

Quote from: olly on September 29, 2018, 18:44:08 PM
Good post cuidarbol.
Fortunately we don't have a problem with them as we don't have pets, as my wife has a pet hair allergy.
Going back to the size, the one I saw immediately started hopping off when I turned the lights on, but the sound it made when it landed was like a huge wet balloon. Very sloppy.

Thank you olly and interesting the toad you saw started hopping off when you turned the lights on. The toads I've seen have been in my garden at night where there isn't much light. At first I've heard the toad walking on the gravel and then gone to see what it is making the noise. When I've got near enough to see the toad they have always "puffed up" arching towards me and stood their ground. The next time I come across a toad I'll shine a torch light on it to see if it runs off because of your encounter and to have a better look at it.

I would say to everyone, NEVER pick up one of these toads without gloves, it's better to use a bucket and spade to relocate it, there is also no need to kill it just because the toad could be poisonous, every creature has the right to live.

olly

Good post cuidarbol.
Fortunately we don't have a problem with them as we don't have pets, as my wife has a pet hair allergy.
Going back to the size, the one I saw immediately started hopping off when I turned the lights on, but the sound it made when it landed was like a huge wet balloon. Very sloppy.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Cuidarbol

There are 7 types of Toads that can be found in Andalucia all of which are poisonous but the 'true toads' of the Bufo family are generally considered to be the most toxic. Toads range in size from 2 - 25 cm (1 - 10 inches). The poison is located in the raised area behind the eyes, known as the parotid gland. Poison is also present in the warts found on the toads skin and it will secrete poison when it feels threatened. Toads often burrow underground and remain there for long periods of time, particularly during droughts or very cold weather. They are more likely to be seen at night, in wet weather conditions or after rain.

I have personally seen many of these toads over the years I have lived here in Spain and quite a few in my own garden. I have seen these toads ranging in size from a cricket ball up to a bag of sugar. It's hard to describe the size of the biggest toad I have seen but a bag of sugar would be a good contender to describe its size. When toads are confronted they "stand up" on all four legs to make themselves look bigger and they also have their poison as a defence. It's not a good idea to handle toads without gloves but it is a good idea to remove them from your garden if you have dogs, cats are less likely to be poisoned as they seem to be more aware of the situation. If you have to remove a large toad from your garden, you will probably be surprised as I was to the weight of a large toad, you will not need a wheelbarrow but a bucket could be of use.

Moyra

Hi Olly

Thank you for the "heads up" I'll keep a look out.

Moyra
Be nice to each other, you don't know what's round the corner.

olly

Please note that these secrete a toxin which can kill any animal that comes into contact with them.
I saw one of these this morning at 4:00 am. on my patio when I opened the front door.
It quickly hopped away before I thought to get my camera and take a photo.
This animal was about 8" long and huge.
So keep an eye on your pets, and if you see them foaming at the mouth,rinse it out with water and take them to a vet.
I live in the La Judaea/La Perla area, but they could be anywhere I suppose.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.