Does anyone know ?

Started by PAX, January 07, 2014, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAX

Thank you to everyone who has replied.. I suppose we will have to 'believe' the Government Bods, who keep denying receiving our email - If I find a way to confirm emails received and read  I will let you all know.

compton

Can you tell if the email has been read by the recipient?
The short answer is NO!
There are three ways to check whether an email has been " "read" ".
•   A Read Receipt
•   A Delivery Receipt
•   An image in an HTML email.
None of these are reliable and to be honest pointless, and even more pointless if you start parting with hard earned cash for advertised services.

The Read Receipt
You can set read receipts in your email client and you can ask for a read receipt on individual or all emails, this asks the recipient to confirm they have read the email.
When the recipient receives the message they are given a choice to send the read receipt or not. And the point is – They have a choice and many people just refuse, i always do. Also many corporate email servers deny read receipts from the server so the recipient does not even get the choice. 

The Delivery Receipt
In Outlook the delivery receipt attempts to send a message to tell you whether your email has successfully found the email server for the recipient, remember SERVER not actual computer/workstation/laptop etc.  It doesn't tell you whether the email has actually been read and at best it will confirm that the email address you sent to exists.  However many email servers will not even provide any delivery information (to prevent spammers getting such information).

Use an image in the email
This last method is slightly more reliable. Typically used by mass mailing programs, it uses HTML (Hyper text markup language) composed email to include an image that is displayed in the email from a remote server. Sometimes the image is invisible (e.g. a small white dot). When the image is displayed the time and date can be gathered from the server (even the number of times it was read). However this is used by spamming programmes so many email programs block images until the recipient chooses to show it. (Which they may choose not to) YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IS CONTAINED INSIDE THE BODY OF AN EMAIL, let alone the attachments.
Even if you receive a read receipt telling you that the email has been displayed/received (Not read) on the recipient's computer, it doesn't prove that they read it, they may at best have only seen the header and they may have discarded it before reading or it may have been read by somebody else.
There is no reliable method to check whether an email has been read.
If you would like a person to confirm receipt of an email – ask them in your email message.
2 men in a bar, the first asks for a H2o. His mate says I'll have an H2o too. The mate  dies!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
If nobody comes from the future to stop you doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

gus-lopez

annef

In the UK I used Outlook for e-mails and was certainly able to specify 'read receipt' on all my e-mails.  Very useful in business when people deny having seen your message/instructions as you can quote the exact time when they opened the message (even though they may not have bothered reading/acting on it!!)  I don't have Outlook now, so sorry, can't advise on the process from memory - I'm sure others can. I'd be interested to know if it is possible with Hotmail.   :tiphat:

gus-lopez

Regular nut 🥜

well i do know that their is an app you can put on the smart phones that will let you know, but as for what it is call i have no idea have you tried looking on the internet, dont know if it can be done from lap tops an all that.

PAX

Does anyone know if it is possible to see when you send an email - whether it has been opened by the people you are sending it to ??
Thank You in advance.

Sorry mods if this is the wrong section.