Rain Warning

Started by orsinosouth, October 19, 2012, 15:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ickybod

I see from the Spanish TV news that the North East of Spain got the bad weather.Floods and houses badly damaged.

orsinosouth

fore warned was fore armed just glad it never happened again

rozzieb

Well it did rain a fair bit, especially overnight, however,not as much as we had feared, hopefully all gone now! oun

finn

what happened to to torrential rain forcast by the eternal pessimists on earlier posts. always look on the bright side guys. 

Essex Girl

Just found this on Google, It explains the "gota fria" perfectly.
A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Louise

The edition of ACTUALIDAD ALMANZORA (free newspaper) of second half of October, gives very good explaing and overview of the "gota fria"
In Spanish but with lots of photo´s, also the view of politicians on how the damage is caused and how they want to solve it.

Karen4

Cl3880

alfie

AEMET is warning of heavy rain from 15:00 this afternoon to 06:00 tomorrow, so it's not over [or even started] yet.

felipe

But it did not rain much did it? Or is that going to be famous last words?

Essex Girl

Thank you for those answers, I will sleep better now that I know! *&"

Hoof Hearted

I gota fria in my kitchen Essex Babe

rt21

Quote from: Essex Girl on October 19, 2012, 18:20:01 PM
What is a "Gota Fria"?  Google can not translate!

Hope this explanation helps

Gota fría is the name given to the storms. These most commonly take place after the summer months when the sea temperature is still high, but the temperature in upper airstreams suddenly drops. The warm air, saturated with water vapour, rises and cools too quickly when meeting the upper airstreams. The result is extremely intense rainfall, accompanied by high winds (up to 140 km/h), hail and thunderstorms.

Richard

AndrewBayley

Yellow warning for persistent rain and storms for the east of Almeria province for Saturday and early Sunday.

Andrew

HiDi

Quote from: Essex Girl on October 19, 2012, 18:20:01 PM

According to Google it means "cold drop".

Di

Essex Girl

jimbo

As you say the warning is for Murcia and Alicante.
Aemet site shows green alert level for today and the weekend for this area i.e Almanora Valley. Light rain is forecast for this evening and overnight.
If they're wrong blame them, I'm just the messenger!

orsinosouth

Rain Warning.Two different people have sent me these,hope if it happens it does not come as far as us,but thought I would pass them on just in case.

copied from Murcia Today for info -
Please pass this on. The alert level for rain and storms tonight has now been raised to orange, which is the same alert level as was issued two weeks ago before the Gota Fria which hit Puerto Lumbreras and Lorca, killing 12 people.The alert is across several provinces, so we may miss the worst of it, there is no way of telling which areas will be hardest hit. But to be on the safe side, it's worth making sure as many people as possible know to take care, not make unnecessary journeys, and know to avopid areas which are prone to flooding, as well as ramblas and barrancas.
! Murcia Today - Murcia On Orange Alert For Rain And Storms www.murciatoday.com

Murcia On Orange Alert For Rain And Storms - Murcia Today, Keep up with the Latest News including wh...

Storm alert
An orange warning for heavy rain in Alicante and Murcia provinces has been sounded by the government.
It runs from midnight tonight until midnight on Saturday.
According to AEMET weather department, up to 40 litres of rain could fall in just one hour and 120 litres in 12 hours.
The authorities announced the warning could be extended to early Sunday morning.
"Driving is only advised on motorways and main roads and never on secondary roads, rural roads and near watercourses," notes a government press release