Can this tree be used....

Started by felipe, October 21, 2012, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgin

We have a closed glass fronted wood burner so the stink was mainly outside.  It is probably one of those smells that some people don't mind but to me it was horrible.  Also, FYI, the wood is very soft and so does not last very long.

Pattie

I can see from the photos that it isn't oleander, but this is also very dangerous if burned and the smoke is breathed in especially by young children.  Your tree is probably harmless, but I'd make 100% certain before burning, especially if offering it to other folk.  You don't want anything nasty on your conscience.

felipe

Oh. Is that on an open fire of one with a glass front?  Not having a log burner not sure if the smell comes out or not.

Elgin

I have tried burning small amounts of this before but will not now - it stinks!

felipe

excellent - thanks folks. Now all I need to do is saw it up :)

Optomist

Quote from: janebabbs on October 21, 2012, 11:35:16 AM
as far as im aware the only tree u cant burn is fig. unless anyone nos diffrent.

From what I've read and been told by locals that's always been my understanding .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

janebabbs

as far as im aware the only tree u cant burn is fig. unless anyone nos diffrent.

felipe

...on a fire?  It fell down yesterday morning as the ground was so wet.  I know it is classed as a weed but it grew to over 15ft and has a large trunk and lots a decent sized branches that could be use for kindling and logs.  But do not want to poison the friends that will be making use of the wood.  Pity it fell down as the birds loved sitting in it singing away and teasing the cats!!

I am aware that certain trees here can be toxic. So need to be sure.