sky coverage

Started by everset, November 07, 2012, 16:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT

In the UK it is being reported the signal strength is stronger than was anticipated; outside the UK it appears the
footprint is wider than was predicted. I am not clear whether 1N has been turned off yet prior to its departure to another part of space.

Optomist

The whole situation is confusing so you are not alone . When the news broke that Astra 2b was to be replaced with Astra 2f and the forecast footprint of the area covered was released most of the experts stated that many if not most of us would all loose our channels unless we upgrade our systems , on the face of it the claims had merit although premature .

Now that some channels have been moved it appears the footprint or signal is better than originally forecast so the reception we are getting overall appears to be better than expected however it varies from one person to another . The upshot of it is that reception reports differ considerably which has only added to the confusion . We all have different equipment and situations , dish size being the more talked about and probably the most significant variable . Other things that come into the equations are the quality of the L&B , the cables , the receiver , Humax Freesat boxes are being reported as performing better than Sky boxes however that could be coincidental bearing in mind all the other governing factors .

The one thing that i think all agree on is that a universal remedy would be larger dishes , undoubtedly that would be the immediate solution for most at this moment in time , the size and type of dish however is not so clear cut , we know what we have now and with measuring equipment can work out what each individual householder would need but with more changes planned to come into effect within a few months we cant know for sure whether what we do to improve or rectify the situation now will be sufficient later next year .

Personally i think its better to wait until the bulk of the channels have been moved which shoud happen shortly then if your happy with what you receive them wait until later next year to upgrade your equipment.
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Roger

I have been reading all these postings with interest and confusion.

I live in Arboleas.
I have a 1 metre dish with an LNB which is so old I cannot read the name.

I do not have HD.

But nothing has changed with my TV reception on any channel, free or part of the Sky package.

Am I alone?

Actually I am sure the picture quality has improved, but that could be down to my new specs.

Optomist

Menu ..Setup ..Manual Tune or Freesat tune will give you signal strength and quality  By using manual tune you can input the transponder frequencies and see each one along the bottom .

Chris485

Can you find your your signal strength from your Humax box? If so how please?
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

satellitedave

Hi,

At present I have only lost Ch5 and its associates.

I have to say that I am still on a SD box.

According to my spectrum there has been no change in the SD transponders regarding frequencies or signal levels I use, so I assume they are either still on 1N or on the European beam of 2F? I'm hoping for some further news later today.

The frequencies quoted and confirmed as being on 2F are showing small spikes on the spectrum display BUT not enough signal to resolve any data. This is on a Gibertini 1.25 near Oria and and is about what I expected to see.

I did read somewhere that Astra 1N was destined to be relocated to 19 degrees so I guess it will be emptied before its journey.

Dave
www.tellynet.es Television via Internet / VPN service  628607778 - email info@tellynet.es

guest4538

Quote from: dannyfs on December 07, 2012, 09:47:32 AM
There's nothing "alleged" about the satellite changes to be fair.

Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to verify which satellite is transmitting a particular programme. I will accept your word since you have the necessary equipment.

Quote from: dannyfs on December 07, 2012, 09:47:32 AM
Astra 2F does have a different spot beam to Astra 1N and the change in signal strength/quality in this area is noticeable.
On my equipment, the signal strength has dropped by around 40%

That is a significant measurement. But is it steady at that level, or has it been fluctuating?

dannyfs

There's nothing "alleged" about the satellite changes to be fair.

The transponders HAVE moved from Astra 1N to Astra 2F.

Astra 2F does have a different spot beam to Astra 1N and the change in signal strength/quality in this area is noticeable.
On my equipment, the signal strength has dropped by around 40%

Calle Carrera, 10
Arboleas

10am - 2pm Monday - Friday
10am - 1pm Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays

Open every day except Christmas Day and New Years Day

freddie

Will have to check size of dish and yes we have only had the problem since tuesday I think it was,  :wave :wave

guest4538

Quote from: freddie on December 07, 2012, 07:59:51 AM
We live in La Perla too and only have the "5" channels missing, we can live with that. :wave :wave

But Freddie it would help to know whether recent alleged changes in satellite have caused this problem.

So what size dish do you have?

And have you only had this problem for the past 3 days?

Was everything always perfect before that?

freddie

We live in La Perla too and only have the "5" channels missing, we can live with that. :wave :wave

gus-lopez

Look on the bright side there's only 14 days 'till the world ends so don't go wasting money on a bigger dish.  :lol:

CT

We had a similar problem with BBC2 a few years ago but a slight tweak by one of our satellite wizards did the trick.

Mickey

We live in Arboleas La Perla and have a 1.2 metre dish we only have problems with all of the channel 5's (US etc) after about 5.00pm they start to break up and by about 9.00 they are unwatchable.
Mickey

eurosatwiz

Your probably right a about many things but not every one has Internet and or are members of this site & not all post some members just read ,  and I know of at least 20 people that have problems and have not posted on this site or even looked at this
A retune simply won't do anything the channels are on the same frequency as before the same pid and Sid settings

Advice is free

guest4538

Quote from: eurosatwiz on December 07, 2012, 01:42:36 AM
If only it was that simple

Well there are a lot of residents in Arboleas watching UK TV. And this topic has had nearly 10,000 hits.

So why are there so few reporting problems? Probably less than a dozen, and I don't believe that the rest have 1.8m dishes!

eurosatwiz

If only it was that simple
Advice is free

guest4538

Since very few folk have expressed concern about picture loss, and all the programmes listed below have apparently been transferred, then presumably the Astra2F spotbeam is now working fine for Arboleas.

Those few who have reported lost channels, might find that a simple re-tune would solve their problems.

eurosatwiz

Ford fiesta love it lol
Advice is free

antas10

Quote from: CT on November 23, 2012, 07:32:04 AM
There's more information on this in the thread entitled ASTRA 2F RECEPTION, seems some people are having
problems.2F is testing at 11023 H 23000 with BBC HD.
i think we should all forget about the astra and all get a ford fiesta

eurosatwiz

Quote from: PAX on December 05, 2012, 14:34:04 PM
OK - I'll be the one to put my head above the parapet and ask the question that is on everyones lips.

IF we have to upgrade from say a 1.2 or 1.4 dish to something bigger, HOW MUCH is this all going to cost, and do all you satellite guys have enough stock to go round ??????

my prices are quoted on my site and advert on forum
stock is limited
Advice is free

PAX

OK - I'll be the one to put my head above the parapet and ask the question that is on everyones lips.

IF we have to upgrade from say a 1.2 or 1.4 dish to something bigger, HOW MUCH is this all going to cost, and do all you satellite guys have enough stock to go round ??????

Blue Moon

My Channels 5. 5* and 5 USA, which were breaking up at this time yesterday are perfect this afternoon.

eurosatwiz

The signal is much weaker now 1,3 dishes are not big enough
At the moment it's just the 5's BBC HD & chan 4HD
good chance the same will happen to others
In 6 months or less Astra 2E come into operation
That will see much bigger changes

Advice is free

Rod

Come home 2pm and now all the 5´s are breaking up badly, not watchable.

gus-lopez

I've lost CCtv ! Will have to go down Hong Kong Fueys to find out the news ! :'(

Rod

All 5´s perfect first thing this morning on both Sky box and Humax.

Optomist

Quote from: CT on December 05, 2012, 07:23:32 AM
Rod: Sky channels are on a different satellite and should not be affected, nor should ITV2,3,4

All our 5s were perfect last night util later in the evening then they ALL went off completely .

CT

Rod: Sky channels are on a different satellite and should not be affected, nor should ITV2,3,4

defenderlowe

On the bright side, even if only temporary (hopefully), been watching the channels using filmon.com as sugested on here and it works ok. the subscription to get it in HD is a little high me thinks but at least the SD is watchable.

only thing is I think I may need some better computer equipment.

defenderlowe

Optomist

Bloody Pessimists . :lol:

defenderlowe

I'll stop google'ing the 2.4m dishes for now then - and wait and see. I've booked marked them though just in case

Optomist

You will be advised by any reputable installer such as those posting here to wait a short while , few days i would imagine until they have all the info needed rather than install something far bigger or better than you might need . They have all stated at one time or another in recent posts NO ONE KNOWS at this point in time with any certainty .

defenderlowe

is it a bad time to get a new system installed???