Recommendations for exterior wall paint, please.

Started by 4nick8, February 18, 2024, 14:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nick8

Thnaks for all your replies.

Leroy Merlin had 15L of Acyrilic on offer manufactured by Luxens for €32 so I plumped for that.

6 year gaurantee for what its worth.

Gooners

It does indeed depend on the original build, paints have evolved greatly in the last 10-20 years with the voc rules, dulux especially suffered in the UK, and acrylic paint is used a lot now, we dont use any oil based paint in our company now, slow drying, bad for the environment and starts yellowing as soon as it dries, not worth the hassle.I use Johnstones durable acrylic matt internally in the UK which has a 10,000 scrub finish and completely flat finish, i.e no sheen. if you have damp or salts rising never use plastico or vinyl there is only one way it can go.This is from a UK perspective guys, although im over next week to paint our exterior, wish id shipped some self cleaning out but time didnt allow it. ****   your paint down as well by at least 10% to allow it to penetrate especially a trade paint

Tetley

Rog
it all depends what yer casa is sat on ,ie water levels

my house after a good storm ,you can see the walls wet up the wall ,but with the breath paint this is not a problem ,with the plastic paint ...the wall blows.

hence i make my own breathable lime paint as this saves the plaster repairs every 3 years.

its all about the under ground water tables bearing in mind we dont use damp coarse here because of the possibility of quake shift ,ie houses moving off footing/bases.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Roger

Why not use the exterior acrylic paint which is in the local hardware shops.
It works.
All the local painters use it.
I had my house painted to change the colour 16 years ago.
No problem.
As for breathing.
Not necessary if you have a modern built house using ceramic bricks.
Even garden walls built of concrete blocks give no problem.

That's my experience having lived in Spain for 35 years.

Tetley

im an engineer, but used to love working with the plaster and natural stone ,

i used to make all the molds out or rubber and fibre glass , ,cut route & polish marble and granite

also form the plaster in situ with a pattern ,

happy days and defiantly easyer money than scraping metal by hand to a thousandth of an inch with a hand scraper  in a fitting shop  ::)

LOL  :wink:

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Gooners

Tets
I was 15 when I did all that through the old City & Guilds rag rolling and such, Im 62 now so my memory has lost most of those skills, as you say its dying out apart from grade 1 listed buildings.
I occasionally repair and patch ornate mouldings but not with lime n horsehair these days.
My son is the plasterer in our outfit, but not interested in ornate work, when hes 50 he will wish he listened to me and got trained in it, instead of banging out 40sq metre ceilings  :laugh:

Tetley

Gooners can you marble and wood grain ,just out of interest

in a past life i used to make architectural moldings ,used to love making the traditional cornices ect

now sadly its all finished apart from people doing old uk  homes up  :( 

(still kept all mi kit though just encase all things historic are resurrected ....apart from me  :grin: )

Gooners

Hi Nick
Im a London based decorator.
Ideally you should be looking at a micro porous paint that allows breath-ability for your walls.
Ive heard some good reports from Emperor exterior self cleaning paint, which is very expensive but with a lifetime guarantee.What the availability is in Spain I cant help with. Most of the self cleaning exterior paints are micro porous, how they stand up to sahara sand staining and such like is probably not applicable in the UK!!
You could always get some shipped over by one of the courier companies operating in the area, or join together with a neighbour to share the costs.
Id be certainly looking at micro porous as it allows moisture out but not in.
Using this internally to a height of 1.5 meters could also help with the problems associated with no DPC in older properties, definitely avoid plastic/vinyl paints.

Roger

My house is 25 years old.
The walls have been painted with acrylic paint from supinbox.
House walls inside and out.
Garden and caseta walls.
Have never had any flacking of the paint.
If it happens it's due to rising damp and the construction.
This does happen in old houses.

Tetley

Tetley

4 Nick

if its for internal walls you need a lime base/ breathable paint  ,same with lower exterior otherwise the damp will just blow the wall covering .

i think leroy merlins do it on line but its expensive ,

i asked locally ,they looked at me daft ,could be a Tetley thing .... ::)

in the end i mixed my own as opposed to paying daft money ,

that could be a yorkshire hull Mechi Fitter  thing  LOL

:afro:

lmj52

If you have already seen the range at Aldesur, go back and tell them exactly what you're after. We bought white paint 39€, our friends bought similar for 69€' I can't see much difference, will see what looks best in 3 years time.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

OGM

I bought Monto Montokril for my boundary walls. Wasn't the cheapest but had good coverage and seems to be unaffected by the sun so far, no flaking or discolouration. It's been on for 18 months. I resprayed the walls with aqua stop first. Got it from Aldesur.

steveconway24

4nick8

Guy's please let me know your recommendations based on experience.

I was advised that acrylic paint better than plastico?

I visited "soup-in-a-box" and the range avaialble was vast. However, why no prices displayed? It's as bad as Poundland!

Then ventured into Adelsur and spoilt for choice, but at least prices were displayed.

TIA