Main Menu

Tennis

Started by Johnny73, January 20, 2022, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny73

Have to comment on Nadal earlier  and hope I dont get Byrned.
What a great tennis match. Rafa is getting on in years and had a troublesome stomach problem but closed out the match brilliantly. Hope he hasnt burnt himself out.🎾🎾

byrney

"No animosity was intended by anyone."

Hmmm.  I think it was.

Johnny,especially, was resentful that a 19 year old superstar got SPOTY in front of his aged bikers....

Johnny73

Looks like Barty and Nadal now. Great for Nadal and Spain.

lmj52

I agree with Johnny as I said, also hopefully she will improve.
No animosity was intended by anyone.

The uk doesn’t have many successful sportspersons, sometimes I feel they resent it when they are. Look at the negative comments about Lewis Hamilton as an example. Ah well I’ll never understand the English mentality. :grin:
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

byrney

"Personally I wonder how she became sport personality of the year, when there were many people who should have got that before her."

That's what I thought Johnny was implying.

I seem to recall him questioning why Emma should have received SPOTY in front of others he favoured.

Maybe I'm wrong.  If so apologies.

lmj52

Byrney, maybe think a minute before you post. Nothing in Jonny’s post intimated that.
Personally I wonder how she became sport personality of the year, when there were many people who should have got that before her.
She has time to improve and hopefully has a future ahead of her.
Andy Murray struggled, but don’t forget, he’s only British when he wins, if he loses he’s Scottish. :grin:
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Johnny73

You are so far off the mark here Byrney. !!  I meant nothing of the kind.
She was over hyped as a young girl to be something she isn't yet and the hype from the media was not really warranted.
They also expected Andy Murray to go much further in the tournament but he just doesn't have it anymore due to age and injury.
Emma will go on to do better things but she is nowhere near the top yet regardless what one would like.
Happy happy hour.

Angleseyite

Must be a disappointment for her, but she's young enough to learn from it and carry on doing well.

byrney

You said that Johnny as if you took great delight in her downfall.
If so, you are a disgrace.

Johnny73

Emma the sports personality of the year didn't last  long in Australia.