Started by kenny m, November 25, 2008, 11:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andie

your welcome,
  :idea:

:wave S

kenny m

Hi again Andie,

Changed the oil over the weekend and problem solved. Bought some 10/50 synthetic oil, not cheap, but the gear change is now perfect.

All I have to do now is learn how to ride a motorbike without killing myself. It's my first bike ever and at the age of 59 I hope I get the hang of it before it gets me!.

Thanks again,

Kenny m
Wise words for us "oldies" A good memory is  a mind trained to forget the trivial!

kenny m

Thanks Andie,

Will take your advice and start with an oil change.

Kenny m
Wise words for us "oldies" A good memory is  a mind trained to forget the trivial!

andie

make sure its got the correct oil in it,ie you carnt use standard car oil ie 20 /50 coz it plays up with the clutch plates,change the oil to a semi synthetic motorcycle oil,if still no joy,make sure the clutch / clutch cable is set up correctly.

if that doesent sort it,its out with the spanners,clutch inspection first to make sure the clutch isnt dragging,if the clutch is 100% ok,it may be  a selector fork or broken spring on the selector pawl,or a collased needle bearing in the box

no1 suspect,sombodys put the wrong oil in it  :hat  S

kenny m

Recently bought a secondhand Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar.

Now have problems getting anything but 1st and 2nd gears.

Clutch seems OK.

Have obtained a full workshop manual but before I start stripping the engine I wondered if anyone had any tips for a possible fix.

I have only driven 50 kms since purchasing it and it was working fine, but have left it idle outside the house for six weeks.

Regards,

Kenny M :thumbsup