Mechanic

Started by Ben2209, January 15, 2010, 17:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogRider

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hogs

Ben2209

Got the Haynes and Clymer for her.... alas some higher authority has declared sorting the car a priority (honestly where is the logic)

HogRider

I'd still grab that manual from Jake ! Bargain buy and give you loads to read come bedtime ! My favourite is my Clymer shovelhead manual. she gets a bit miffy cos its got some grunge on it but after quick back hander on the gob I normally agree and put it down ! :rofl:

Hogs

Ben2209

Thanks, have arranged for the bike to be moved from current place (temp during house move) to my house so I can spend quality time rebuilding the carbs.

Will keep you informed of progress (hopefuly I am).

andie

try pepins in Albox for the carb cleaner,if not use HOT soapy water with wash powder& tooth brush ,but remove the top rubber diaphrams ,and all carb intarnals first.
then dry the washed carb off wich compressed air.

S  :wave

ps before you re fit the carb diaphrams and throttle slides,polish the nylon throttle slides witha bit of car polish,then buff off,spray them with a drop of wd40 on re assembly,so thay slide very easly up and down in the carb bodies,otherwise 1 cylinder will lag behind the other one and un balance the motor.

Ben2209

Thanks andie, I will take your advise and have a go. Is there any cleaner to soak them in or spray to clear out any unwanted crap?

andie

Quote from: Ben2209 on January 15, 2010, 17:54:05 PM
Hey all.

I managed to rescue a virago 750 from rotting away in a garage, but it does need some work. Any decent mechanics about? I beleive the carbs need rebuiling at best.

Thanks

Thanks

[/quote]
if its been stood,for more than a few weeks with petrol in it,the stangnant petrol will have waxed the carbs up,normally this means the slow running jets are blocked,ie it will probably run above 2500rpm,but sound / run like a sack of spanners under 2500,rpm because the slow run jets are blocked ie not delivering petrol on tickover.

basikly remove the air filters,un clamp the carbs,remove the fuel feeds,and carb cables.
remove the carb/ float bowls,remove the carb float and petrol needle valve,do not rive,everything must be handled like a clock repair.
remove the 2 brass jets in the carb bodys and clean them out with the bristles from a wire brush,clean the full carb,withcarb cleaner,and blow all the oroafices out with compressed air

take plenty of pictures,on dis assembly, and make a witten note of the carb airscrew settings (normally 1 1/2 turns out from the maxium in.)to guide re assembly,the area must be clinicaly clean were your working on the carbs ie no dust or ****  anywere,and drink loads of tetlys tea.

also take your time,enjoy,and allso bear in mind things could be far worst,you could owne a 4 carb dyno jetted R1 like me,and thay are a complet basket to set up and re do.

if you get really really stuck,and get the carbs removed,if i have a spare minute betwwen domoltion despair and house renovations i will show you how to clean the   carbs,but it is best to try your self first.

S  :wave

jake

Just in case there is anyone else out there wanting a manual for a virago, the one at 5 euros is still for sale.

Ben2209

Should really post a photo of the old girl..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ben2209

lol thanks hogs, got the manual, reading over it before deciding on further action. I did mention to the wife that perhaps I would need to work indoors.... it was not the most pleasing coversation.

@suzuki, not blunt at all.. its a good idea just never really ineterested me. As owdoggy said I prefer to ride them.

I will get there in the end, now deciding to restore to exact former glory or something different.

HogRider

Ben

Glad to see the basement is working for you !  Grab the manual (it's cheap !) get the refurb kit sent down and you could have it sorted in one day.  Did I mention that the dining room table is always a great substitute for a work bench ?  Put a clean white bed sheet down (so you can see all the little bits and mops up any spills) and away you go ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You may encounter a line of resistance from 'Er in doors but don't worry she'll soon get 'climatized to the petrol fumes and the smell of carb cleaner ! Carbontetrachloride in my young yoooof ! Beware though it can give you a bikers weekend banging headache !  :whistle:

Hogs  :tiphat:

owdoggy

Quote from: suzuki on January 20, 2010, 19:31:46 PM
Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt Ben but if your gonna ride it then learn to fix it.A yammy v/twin aint rocket science and if you can fix computers and the like I'm sure you'll soon suss it out.Apart from that there is something very satisfying about doing it yourself,and that way you'll enjoy the ride all the more.Promise. :wave

I'd rather ride 'em than fix 'em anyday :lol:
That's not to say I've never done my own work, a long time ago when it was a tad easier :D, but as soon as I earned enough it was a case of "There you go pal, you fix it & I'll ride it"
Still, it'd be a boring old world if we were all the same eh! :tiphat:

Doggy

suzuki

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt Ben but if your gonna ride it then learn to fix it.A yammy v/twin aint rocket science and if you can fix computers and the like I'm sure you'll soon suss it out.Apart from that there is something very satisfying about doing it yourself,and that way you'll enjoy the ride all the more.Promise. :wave
GEM

roboman

Sam from Almanzora is the man for spannering bikes but he is in uk at present ,i will ask his missus when he,s back an let u know , regards Rob
Illegitimi non carbonundrum

jake

ive got a manual 1981 to 1996 covers 535 to 1100, brank new 5 euros if you are interest

Ben2209

lol.. thanks, if it was a computer or the likes would do it blindfolded but somehow brain stops working for this.

HogRider

ben
A good wrench here in Spain is as rare as rocking horse Poop ! Buy a Manual and a carb refurb kit from the UK and clean anf rebuild it your self Bro is my best advice !
Hogs :tiphat:

Ben2209

Hey all.

I managed to rescue a virago 750 from rotting away in a garage, but it does need some work. Any decent mechanics about? I beleive the carbs need rebuiling at best.

Thanks