Chuck away or K&N type filters ?

Started by HogRider, February 17, 2010, 22:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timo

I ride a kawasaki vn 1600 classic tourer and have fitted a hypocharger air box which comes with a K&N  filter i am a great believer in these filters as the increased air flow combined with my vance & hinse pipes improves performance considerbly also living down a rambla it's very important to have a good air filter also the k&n is not a lot dearer than the stock paper filter so in the long run it is cheaper i also clean my filter more frequently useing the K&N filter cleaning kit very cheaply because of the dusty Spanish enviroment as for an oiled piece of foam ok for a cheap old bike but not for an exspensive cruiser or Harley also having a filter that lasts a lifetime is more enviromently friendly check out the performance of these filters on www.cruisercustomizing.com click on community and then on tip of the week and open motorcycle oil & filter ch. I also find this site very cheap for parts including postage to Spain 
regards Timo

HogRider

Peeps

The home sponge filter route won't really work we are talking Harley here it'll just get sucked through the system and fart it out the pipes ! :lol:  And contarary to popular belief with a Stage 1 kit on it it does go on the dyno computer but the air filter is critical once it's been set up !  I tried it once with a stock filter just to see how much difference it made and it woz 'orrible, a bit like riding a Jap 4 potter with only 2 pots working !  I know its sounds like a bag 'o spanners to you Jappers but it shouldn't run like a bag 'o spanners !  Hey Ho she's bag from the UK Wednesday with new supplies and I bet I've got it running by the time she's ('Er in Doors) finished her tea and completed her 'Er in Doors moan list about the housework I never got round to doing ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hogs :whistle:

unclebob

shirtsleeve has it absolutely right.

A decent piece of foam, cut carefully to size, a quick spray with Rocket, Wd40 or similar, and at least a years worth of trouble free motoring.
Replacement cost........... peanuts (just wash out in diesel or gas).

K&N........ a fortune
Pattern filters.............. a lot less but certainly not peanuts, and you can even make throw aways in to re-usables. Mind you, I NEVER skimp on the oil! Full synthetic every time.

andie

i used to cut mi mams tea strainers up  :o ,for mi bantams & lamberrets air filters ,o happy happy days,them 70,s

S  :wave  :tiphat:

shirtsleeve

One of those sponges from the bathroom do the trick.   :rofl: :rofl:

I like it down ere int cellar.  :tiphat: Shirty

andie

personally,i would use good quallity pattern chuck aways,becuase of the summer desert conditions, and change regular ,yer dont want dust up yer cylinders  :crazy:

ive got K & N in mi R1 but thats dyno jetted,the last time i whent out on it ( may 2001  ;) ) it was VERY responsive )

Hogs maybe a few of us could set up a help desk for motocyclist down the tuwn hall,say 10 till 12 am every monday morning  :o

i can see it now
Q hello thair ive got a problem with mi Ninger    :vomit:
A) tec two tablets an hour before bed time,if yer no better,yer up ****  creek like the rest of us !   :o

S  ;D  :wave

owdoggy

From a purely non-tech point of view....... which is my particular forte..........whatever looks the best :lol:

Good down 'ere innit :clap:

Doggy

Eddie

Hi Hogs

I used to race cars with motorcycle engines (Yamaha) and we tried K & N filters etc and found that the difference if any in performance etc was not worth the bother. Motor cycles are most of the time at the peak end of performance from a unit. This may well be different on the big machines that use lower revving engines................so just thinking about my comment...........and it has not helped you....lol

HogRider

As its all getting a bit fraught upstairs I thought I would come down the basement at talk to some proper Birds and Geezers !

Right doing a service a couple of weeks ago on me donkey the stupid main stealer wrench monkey (And I will be giving him a MC visit in April when I ride back !) who did my last service FILLED the air filter retaining bolt threads with a locktight type of gunk ! Consequently I had to be fairly brutal in removing 2 of the 4 bolts which resulted in me having to buy a new K&N Stage 1 type re-usable replacement ! 45 GBP's trade !  Retail 65GBP's Robbin' B'st*rds ! 

So what's your preference Chuck away or re-usable and is the re-usable worth the extra dosh !

Hogs