BOGUS GAS MEN!

Started by Essex Girl, September 21, 2011, 09:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercurian

I don't think these gas men are illegal.  You can let them inspect your appliances and renew things if you want to and are willing to pay the price.  However, only Repsol can issue new gas certificates and that needs to be done every 5 years at a cost of 60 euros.

kenny m

So, they turned up! Came at 5pm.

I've taken photos of their vehicle and the two guys that came back.

However, I want to try to take a balanced view.

I questioned them at length and they insisted that they were an approved private contractor with all the relevant licences that gave them the legal right to tout for business and offer their services as gas inspection installation professionals.

They were not approved by Repsol as in their view Repsol was just a commercial entity and their licences come from the relevant government authority.

They were not overly aggressive and didn't seem to mind me taking photographs even though I said they could appear on an English forum.

I have their business card and their contact details.

I think at worst, IF they are indeed legally approved, that they are like many cold calling sales operations. In other words, conniving and deceitful.

In our case they suggested we should change a gas flexible hose that was under a year old and wanted 41 euros for the privilege. When questioned about the proposed charge they said it wasn't just for the tube but for the issuance of a new gas certificate.

They also ignored the fact that our current gas certificate had over a year to run.

I will post their contact details and photos only if forum moderators approve.

Kenny M  :tiphat:
Wise words for us "oldies" A good memory is  a mind trained to forget the trivial!

kenny m

They've been at Saliente Alto today. I was out at the time and my other half let them in. They wanted 41 euros to replace a gas pipe that was only one year old. She told them to come back this afternoon when I returned.
They haven't turned up yet but I have my camera and my very best swearing Spanish at the ready!

Will post photos of them and their van if they dare to return.

Kenny M  :tiphat:
Wise words for us "oldies" A good memory is  a mind trained to forget the trivial!

Chez

They have also been up to Saliente Alto all morning. So be aware. We didn't answer the door, but they have been pestering all the neighbours. Yes, brown van, 3 men in orange t shirts and clipboards.

bloggs

bogus gas men tried it on today in vera brown van orange shirts clipboard and tools told them my answer in my best spanish they left very quickly

cantabrian

the bottles cannot be coded ,when you do an exchange that so called code has gone, just don,t get caught with the wide boys

Gal

We had a visit from a company (two guys in a navy blue uniform with business cards and clip board etc.).  We let them in, they look at the gas installation, say that we need to change it (even though my husband had changed it a month ago), asked them how much...35 euros, we say thanks we'll think about it and say goodbye.   It's true, Repsol won't come to your door without being asked.  Think of them as Jehovahs Witnesses of gas......

You need a contract I believe to first buy gas bottles (and I have heard that you can't sell them because they are coded??)  We borrowed one from my brother in law once for a bbq and no one at the shop checked whether 'it was ours' or not. 

Be safe though as a gas leak wouldn't be nice.....

Mercurian

Quote from: cantabrian on September 21, 2011, 17:17:44 PM
Repsol told me many years ago ,that you only need the certificate for house insurance purposes don,t know what the test is like nowadays but ---------at one time it was the man who dropped the tanks off ,and his faithfull lighter !!!!

I would imagine that that is what you need a certificate for.  I'm certainly not going to give the insurance company the chance to say that they won't pay out if I have a gas explosion in the house.  We have just had our certificate renewed after 5 years (we actually had a letter from Repsol telling us that it was due) but we have renewed the piping ourselves during that 5 years when it perished in the sunlight.

bobthelook

Date coded replacement gas hoses are available for 3€ and regulators for 8€ - why would anyone pay more?  Where does it say that you are legally required to have a certificate? I have checked my house insurance policy and there is no mention of any certificate being needed.  Methinks the gravytrain  is doing great business by both 'official' companies and 'unofficial' and as usual the Brits are eager to comply.  My Spanish neighbours certainly wouldn't be paying out unnecessarily.
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

cantabrian

Repsol told me many years ago ,that you only need the certificate for house insurance purposes don,t know what the test is like nowadays but ---------at one time it was the man who dropped the tanks off ,and his faithfull lighter !!!!

Mercurian

I know they are convincing, but the main thing to remember is that Repsol WILL NOT cold call at your house.  You have to phone and make an appointment for a check and new certificate.

Albondigas

Some of these outfits are very convincing; others less so

We recently had a visit (very convincing van/uniforms/paperwork etc.)and when we told them that we were unwilling to pay 60 euros for them to inspect our installations, they said "what are you willing to pay then"?

At that point I requested that they sling their hook and they obliged

Mercurian

Why do people keep falling for this?  If you have gas appliances you must have a gas certificate.  If you have an in date gas certificate (ie one less than 5 years old) then show it to the gas men and tell them to go away.  If your certificate is older than 5 years contact Repsol who will send one of their tecnicos out to check your connections and replace if necessary, then issue a new certificate.  This costs 60 euros.  Repsol will not come to your door unless you have asked them to.

Essex Girl

Beware!!  The gas men are now in the Oria area.  A relative of a friend was charged over €400 for unnecessary work. 
A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why aren't we like that wise old bird?