Food and bedding

Started by Elle1971, August 15, 2012, 17:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elle1971

Thanks for the link gus-lopez... I was able to view some prices on there (albeit via the special offers). Yes... food is way cheaper than what we have been used to.

Elle xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

gus-lopez

Dia & /or Maxi dia are part of the Carrefour group.

http://www.dia.es/gestorContenido.html;jsessionid=B07584E1E800E9F6F94DA12101640951?action=getCajas4Pagina&idPagina=1

Apparently they are now a standalone company having separated from carrefour last year.

Elle1971

Hi again Meatballs.

Día? Not heard of that one - but will do some digging. So thanks for that! Yeah... we've had a Lidl for a couple of years here now... and that's where we've been buying Camembert, Brie, English style bacon, and tinned tomatoes - much cheaper than in the resort here. Not sure how it would compare to Mercadona.

Yes... I agree... Playa Blanca is the nicest of the resorts. It's very different now to 15 years ago though - much more built up... but no high rises as such. If you drew a line between the town centre and the Femes mountains, we're about halfway between the two. Papagayo beaches are pretty much our back garden. We run the dogs around there - although not on the sand. So yes, still very unspoilt... and only equalled by perhaps Famara in the Northwest... or Caleton Blanca in the northeast (was paddling there earlier this week). Am off to the beach for the afternoon on Tuesday actrually... and to spend some time with a friend before I abondon her ;)

Lanzarote is a lovely place to visit... and we have enjoyed living here very much. It's great getting out of the resorts and doing lots of hiking in the hills surrounding the Canarian villages and eating Canarian food as opposed to the tourist fayre more readily available. Rabbit, goat, estofado, caracoles, and yes albondigas... mmmmm! Hubby misses living in a "country" though, and being able to drive for hours without that meaning a circle. Once there... we can throw the dogs and tent in the car and just disappear for a day or three... anywhere in Europe. We have lots of friends in France, so we could see them... or visit parts of Italy that I've always fancied. Seasons too are up high on Alan's list. For me it was simply time. We need a bigger "pond", and this brings us one step closer to early retirement. The credit crunch had delayed us a bit. We are lucky in that we can work anywhere in the world as long as we have internet... we're not tied geographically. So we get to go rural... away from the busy resort... away from seeing the same faces (as much as we like them) day in day out. We'll still be visiting Lanzarote 3 or 4 times a year, as Hubby's eldest lives here with his girlfriend... plus we're still keeping a number of business interests going.

Just lucky enough to have the choice really... and everything over the last couple of years has been throwing Almeria up for us as the place we should be for the next stage of life. Too many concidences to ignore (and I don't even believe in that stuff!). Yes - I am a positive person. I am also realistic though. I know that settling in will be a bumpy ride... and that people and situations aren't always what they seem... and I'm particularly concerned with getting prepared for the winter... as I haven't had one for so long. Oh and Spanish friends say I'm going to have to relearn my Spanish too... as my accent is Canarian (hilarious -. I just thought I had bad Spanish!).

But life is an adventure - and as long as I have the internet, my man, my dogs, and wine (not necessarily in that order), then we'll be absolutely fine.

Right - off to cook dinner - Chinese tonight!  :clap:

Ciao xx

Albondigas

Sorry, yes, God knows why, but you need to register in order to have a gander at the products (although I think other info like opening times etc. are available without needing to provide an address)

I like Día and Lidl too, for different bits and bobs - weird but I never went near Lidl in the UK and yet I class it as the Waitrose equivalent as far as supermarkets over here go    ;D ;D ;D

Mmmm Playa Blanca, haven't been there for 15 years, but I remember it as absolutely gorgeous.  Best location on Lanzarote, in my humble opinon.  The beaches (Papayago) were to die for, hope they are still difficult to get to, and therefore unspoilt?

I wanna ask WHY oh WHY are you moving to Almería, but that's your business and you have your reasons

You sound like a positive person and no doubt will be happy and successful wherever you go :)

Elle1971

Thanks for the link Albondigas. I can't get to the list of products though... as it won't let me register with the address (or the one here either).

We won't be having aircon in the summer - never had it here... even in the Calimas when temps are in the mid/high 40s... but yes we'll definitely need heating in the winter. That will atke some getting used to, as we've never had heating here... even though many friends have. We're in Playa Blanca in the south of Lanzarote, and that tends to be a tad warmer than the rest of the island... and certainly a lot drier than all except Fuerteventura... whic it tends to equal.

Definitely will pop into The Corner Shop for the occasional treat (already spotted a couple of bits we'd like)... although I think Mercadona will be our usual base.

Elle x

Albondigas

https://www.mercadona.es/ns/index.php

Not sure which island you're living on, but I would think that any savings you make in food (the Canaries are more expensive for most foods) you will spend in terms of heating or cooling your house in the winter/summer months, as obviously the temps are much more extreme on mainland Spain than on the Canaries :'(

I can vouch for Cheryl and Co. at the Corner Shop - lovely people and they have some great offers - THE best Brit food shop in Albox

Elle1971

That's brilliant LiLi - thanks! Means we can still get some food and water when we arrive!

LiLi

Hi, it's open 9.15am - 9.15pm Monday to Saturday :)

Elle1971

Me again - can anyone please advise what time Mercadona closes in the evenings during the week?

Thanks! xxx

Elle1971

Hi Lesley. Yes, I believe we chatted when I first joined this forum (a little over a year ago). I'll be sure to come and say hello! xxx

Lesley and Pete

Hi Elle - I have a stall on the Los Llanos market, (opposite Bar International on the main road between Arboleas & Albox), and am always in the mood for a coffee/drink on a Saturday morning while I'm working.  Look for me on Frillies stall, near the cooked chicken/migas/cold drinks stall.  Usually quite a lot of other ex-pats and plenty of Spanish customers for you to meet & chat too also.

Lesley

Elle1971

Ha ha ha! That wouldn't be pretty  :rofl:

cantabrian

HEY!! Ellie you don,t want to fall over in them stilletoes (white) if your are in the SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!(ummmmmmm NICE!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elle1971

S'ok Carol - Cantabrian's only pulling my leg. I can speak a bit of Spanish... although apparently I have a Canarian accent, so will probably have to address that once we arrive. No problems with immersing - already have plenty of Spanish pals... so can do it again.  :-*

Quote from: cantabrian on August 16, 2012, 19:04:32 PM
I COULD SELL A WONDERFUL HOUSE IN THE MOUNTAINS!! (MINE) :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL!
I've just read how high it is! Bet the views are good... but maybe a bit high up for me tripping home in my white stillettoes after a long day of shopping in M&S, drinking tea made with Tetley, eating a full English, and reading my Observer.  ;)

Elle xx

cantabrian

I COULD SELL A WONDERFUL HOUSE IN THE MOUNTAINS!! (MINE) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alcar

hahahaha, nice one Elle, I think Cantabrian is constantly covered in bruises as he is always banging his head on one wall or another on this forum, but seriously Cantabrian don't be totally negative, the lady is looking forward to coming here to live and has asked various sensible questions, I am sure she will formulate her own opinion when she has been here a while.

Warm Regards
Carol

Elle1971

Can't be more Little Britain than where I currently live, Cantabrian. Watch your head on that wall, love... you'll come out in bruises.

Elle x

Alcar

That's not nice Cantabrian, you make it as English as you want it to be, I mix a lot with the Spanish both in my business's and socially, it is each to their own, a lot of the English find the language hard so consequently mix more with the English as it is easier, but the majority do try and like to practice their Spanish, and I think out of the 3 markets/rastros you will find the majority of the stall holders are spanish!!!!

Kind Regards
Carol

cantabrian

WELCOME TO LITTLE BRITAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sad!!!!!) :head :head :head :wave

Elle1971

Ah right! More choice!

Cheers love xx

Alcar

Hi Elle,

On a Saturday you have a choice of 3 different ones, firstly the International ( this is a rastro ) on the opposite side of the road is the Los Llanos market mainly new items then you have the normal market in Arboleas village, each one has a bar/or bars with seating outside so you can take your dog/s and all of them within 5 minutes drive of each other.  Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to meet up with you then as I will be in my shops, but I am sure a lot of people that have spoken to you via the forum would be only too willing to meet up with you for a coffee.

Warmest Regards
Carol x

Elle1971

Thanks ever so much everyone!

Cheryl - have just looked at your site... and there are definitely some bits we'll be needing from you. One question - is your peanut butter crunchy? We can only get the smooth stuff here... and it's just not the same on hot toast.

I see the market is on a Saturday (thanks Carol). Why don't a few of us all meet up and say hello? I'll be able to make it for the first time on Saturday 15th (I think that's the right date) September if anyone fancies it? Is the market in the main square? Is there anywhere we can go for a cuppa or something, that also allows dogs? I may have one of ours with me.

Elle xx

Cheerily Watching

Hi Elle

Take a look at www.alboxcornershop.com

We have a huge range of herbs & spices, plus much much more!

Regards
Cheryl
Just because I can

hurlez

Pricebusters and the corner shop both in Albox  keep oyster sauce,soy sauce,naan  & a good selection of spices.

Alcar

Girasol ( claire ) is two shops past me, claire is a lovely lady and extremely helpful, if she does not stock what you need, she will always order it for you if it is at all possible, she also has various classes in the back room, so ask her when you call in as if you fancy any of them that is a good way also of meeting people, also in the same street is a bed and bed linen shop, there is also a couple of bed linen stalls on Los Llanos market on a Saturday, it is on the opposite side to the International Bar as you are going to Arboleas.

Warmest Regards
Carol

Elle1971

Starynightsky - thank you that's great. And Girasol is now on my list of places to visit.

Carol - thank you also. I shall definitely pop up for a look... and join you for a cuppa.

Everyone is being really helpful - and I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you. I'll never get any work done!

Elle xx

Alcar

Hi Elle,

I hope you have a safe journey over and it doesn't take too long to settle in, you will find the majority of people here are very friendly so it will not take you any time at all to meet and make new friends.

You asked about buying a coat, I have a clothes shop and jewellers in Albox the clothes shop is called '' Forward A Dress '' and is opposite Pricebusters which is an english food shop, I sell TOP quality second hand and New clothes, we will be putting the winter stock out at the end of September so you could always pop in and have a look, let me know who you are when you come in and if I can I will pop next door with you to the cafe and we will have a chat and a coffee.

I look forward to meeting you.

Warmest Regards
Carol x

Starynightsky

The shop with the orange door is electricos ahorra.

The spice range is brilliant in Girasol just up from Mercandona´s run by a lady called Claire, as is her range of indian and chinese products.

Elle1971

Thanks - yeah that was me. I've dropped you a PM with my contact details. A pootle around the market and a drinkie sounds great!

Elle xx

rainbowsheep03

Quote from: EstoyDeRodriguez on August 15, 2012, 18:33:54 PM
Thanks ever so much rainbowsheep - and I may take you up on that, if that's ok? I'll shout you lunch or dinner in return.

Ooh todo shop sounds handy - we have similar shops here (all run by Chinese). All sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

Thanks again!

Elle xx

Of course thats okay. The offers there if you need showing round. You were looking for people to meet up with also werent you ? I go to Albox market and am more than happy to meet up for a drink with you.

Yes, 99% of them are run by chinese here.

Elle1971

Thanks ever so much rainbowsheep - and I may take you up on that, if that's ok? I'll shout you lunch or dinner in return.

Ooh todo shop sounds handy - we have similar shops here (all run by Chinese). All sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

Thanks again!

Elle xx

rainbowsheep03

Quote from: EstoyDeRodriguez on August 15, 2012, 18:18:24 PM
Hi rainbowsheep - and thanks very much for your reply.

Ok.. will look out for an orange door. Ah "seconds"... my mistake! Sounds like we need to pay it a visit. I don't suppose you know the name of the business do you?

Sorry, but what's a todo shop? A larger supermarket?

Elle xx

I dont know the name of it im afraid. But you cant miss it. If for any reason you cant find it, or need a hand finding anything else. I would be more than happy to give you a hand in showing you to a few places :)

And a todo shop is a shop that sells pretty much anything. From hair accesorries, stationary, baskets, toys, lightbulbs, plug fittings, photo frames,cookin utensils. Anything you could think of pretty much.

Elle1971

Quote from: rainbowsheep03 on August 15, 2012, 18:17:23 PM
Re dried dog food, we get ours from dia and it´s a little over 8€ for 20kg.

Yes mercadona have a large selection of fresh fish. And they´re meet counter is better first thing and during the day. As the supplies go down throughout the day.
Wow that's cheap! Thanks! We currently pay €3.68 for 4kg "own brand" from Hiperdino!

Thansk for the mercadona info too.

Very much appreciated!

Elle xx

Elle1971

Hi rainbowsheep - and thanks very much for your reply.

Ok.. will look out for an orange door. Ah "seconds"... my mistake! Sounds like we need to pay it a visit. I don't suppose you know the name of the business do you?

Sorry, but what's a todo shop? A larger supermarket?

Elle xx

rainbowsheep03

Re dried dog food, we get ours from dia and it´s a little over 8€ for 20kg.

Yes mercadona have a large selection of fresh fish. And they´re meet counter is better first thing and during the day. As the supplies go down throughout the day.