Funeral Plans

Started by Lynne, September 08, 2014, 18:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Did consider them at first but it was suggested that there were better companies.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

tintin

there is another company Iv'e seen touting for business in the area called Avalon, but no contact details I'm afraid, although they've been around a long time as they come from the UK
Mike

globetrotter

No not golden leaves, straight Santalucia. Pay monthly.

soosoo

Lynne

Is it called Golden Leaves which seems to be part of Santa Lucia?  We are considering them but only if it's run independently from Santa Lucia.  We've just cancelled our home policy with them and have no wish to be in contact in the future.

It would be far easier if we had a date of termination and then we could do some proper planning and chose the right path, but as that isn't going to happen we'll just have to hope that we may have 10/15 years left.

SOOSOO - Did you use the Arboleas branch as I see from Google that there are branches all over the place?  The one in Cantoria is the nearest to us but they have to speak English for my peace of mind.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

globetrotter

We have a funeral plan with santalucia. The family in UK have a copy of the policy and the instructions with phone number.
It is not impossible that we could go together in an accident, so that needs to be covered. In that event around €8000 would need to be instantly available.
When a death occures bank accounts are frozen so money for funerals needs to be in an account that can pay out quickly.
A family I know took out a plan and only a short time later one partner died suddenly, the insurance paid out no problem. A great relief to the family.

These are things that need to be thought about. Tot up how much you would need to pay for two people, then how much a year the plan would cost.
Factor in increases in cost over time, maybe twenty years if not more. I figure it would take around twenty years to pay out more than it would cost
to keep the money in an account in readiness, not even earning much interest. Plus it would make life for the survivor much easier to have everything sorted or if it is down to the family in the UK, then they know that they don't have to worry about how to go about things.

That's our way of thinking anyway. Getting a life policy can be very expensive depending on age, I've looked.

soosoo

Try ringing Beccy at Collyfer. Reasonable monthly cost and no hassle when the inevitable occurs. They deal with everything and no "extras" . Makes life very easy at the time you really need it to be.

Lynne

I think you might be right, that's one reason we prefer to take out a funeral plan.  The main reason though, is that one of us (whichever is still standing) only wants to make one phone call and have it all done for us.

nibbler

I may be wrong but I understand that life insurance payment on death takes a few days and over here you are dealt with in a couple of days and the funeral directors have to be paid either before or on the day.
I stand to be corrected. :tiphat:
Nibbler :tiphat:

Lynne

I'll have a look at that one, thanks.

Iberlynx

I have an excellent policy with Mapfre, 59 euros every 3 months at age 64

byrney

Just as a guide for those thinking about taking out an expensive life-insurance type Plan we are just renewing ours (annual) and it is costing just over €200 for both of us, and will pay for the funeral costs (OK, not a Big Fat Gypsy Funeral-style one, but will cover the basics).

Some friends of ours have been quoted crazy monthly sums.

And, a word of caution, do I recall the wording on insurance plans in small print to be along the lines of "please note that the value of insurance investments can go up as well as down"?....

tintin

A life insurance that pays out a lump sum is a good idea if you have other easily access to ready cash as the insurance company can take a while to pay out, you both need to speak very good spanish to deal with the guardia who are always called, the medics and the tantorio, also what if you want to send the body to another country for cremation or burial, delay the cremation here so relatives can pay their last respects and all this at the most traumatic time of your life, my advice leave it to the experts, might cost a bit more, but well worth it
Mike

Lynne

Thank you all for your comments, especially from the PMs I've had which have been very constructive.  The main reason for taking out a plan is similar to Brucie1 - I'm sure it would be far less stressful to just make one phone call and have everything dealt with efficiently rather than having to deal with everything yourself when you're grieving.  As the Spanish like to dispose of the body within 48 hours, it must be very traumatic for the one left behind during that time and I'm hoping to make it easier on my husband.

Anymore do's and don'ts would be welcome.

brucie1

as i understand it most plans are move able around europe

Regular nut 🥜

Now what happens if you are on holiday in some place when you decide to depart from this world, I have been thinking of taking out a plan but this is a problem and what if you move back to your birth country or move country.

brucie1

yes agree for a first time with rambla BUT although money is not the problem i will go before my wife due to health problems and not understanding the system and not perfect language skills it would be nice to know she could make one phone call and let someone else take the strain and allow time for the children to arrive of course when the last partner goes again some one with local knoledge would be an asset       something very much on my mind lately

Karen4

Lynne I would consider just taking out a tiny life policy for around 5k to 10k for far less money than funeral payments....and enough left over for a bit of a party!
Cl3880

Alcar

annef

ramblagirl

Don't bother just make sure you've always got 3-4,000 euros available and do it all yourself.

Lynne

Can anybody recommend a good funeral plan please?  I don't intend going just at the moment but would like to be prepared.  :whistle: