Why have we not be informed

Started by pepe, June 02, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartcjhart

the trouble with 'canine parvovirus' is that it is a retrovirus and can mutate,the 'catus parvovirus' is very close to the 'aids virus etc'

it is mainly spread by poor hygeine in kennels,faeces left around, so rescue puppies are very prone,
I had a puppy from a uk rescue 20 years ago that contracte parvo and the vet bill then JUST to keep it alive was £500,although getting over the PV its kidneys were shot.

so to the gist,

IF you take a rescue pup MAKE SURE YOU SEE THE VACCINATION CERTS,if not be aware that you could end up spending a fortune

Angieh

Come on every body lighten up. The post was sent with the best intentions. Not everybody is savvy with parvo It's a nasty problem all over the world , not just here . Let's work together to get the message across about what it is, and how to deal with it . Please,

nibbler

Pepe I find your comment unwarranted and impolite. I asked a civil question and expected a civil answer which you gave me then spoilt it with your fatuous ending.
Nibbler :tiphat:

pepe

Normon you are on the wrong Forum mate have another Beer  :drinks: wjavascript:void(0);where did i say i had all this Knowledge about Dogs i know as much as you Nada . Nibbler It was to warn Puppy owners who are not aware of this Virus and there a lot of them who are aware now since my post if we save one Pup then it will all be worth it so go and join the Moaners where you belong Nibbler .  :lol:

nibbler

Pepe. I'm wondering who you would expect to warn/inform you. :tiphat:
Nibbler :tiphat:

NormanM

Because as a supposedly knowledgeable dog owner, you should have known.  Beyond belief!
From Normam

sapper

Parvo exists in all of europe. Our dog was vaccinated in UK as a puppy and given a booster every year until he died. If you have your dog vaccinated every year i dont think it will be a problem.
Stray will die of it as do foxes and other wild animals.

Its not new its always been around

pepe

My Friends four pups died within 24 hrs that is how quick it takes hold they are both Devastated .

awaywiththefairies

I had a young rescued dog die of parvo. She was first off her food a couple of hours and lethargic, then she was sick. Not long later she was sick again.  There is a 'metallic' smell associated with parvo that once you have smelt you would never forget.  By the time we got to the vet (same day) there was blood.  Despite being put on a drip etc she was dead by morning - that quick :(

This was three years ago. There maybe more of it about at the moment but it is always there.

pepe

byrney

"WHY WERE WE NOT INFORMED is because the Vet told my Friends that Puppy Rescue were aware of the Virus and they could of put a Topic on this Forum warning people" - hmmm, begs the question why the vet didn't choose to publish this important information........

pepe

Thanks Hogs . According to a Local Vet it is sweeping the area and this Morning the Vet put Four of my Friend's Puppies down . Any one who has Puppies keep a very close eye on them . If you read Hogs intresting Post he has pointed out in great detail the symptoms and what to do if your Puppies do get the Virus . the reason i put on here WHY WERE WE NOT INFORMED is because the Vet told my Friends that Puppy Rescue were aware of the Virus and they could of put a Topic on this Forum warning people with Puppies who have never heard of the Parvo Virus .

awaywiththefairies

This is not a new thing and is the same in the UK. 

If you take your puppy out before he/she has had all their vacs they can catch it.  The virus itself 'lives' for a long time even after infected poo has gone/washed away, it stays in the land.

Apparently it is very rare for a dog over the age of 18 months to contact it even if not vaccinated, so I was told by the vet.

Draco

When your dog is a puppy you get vaccinations (usual cost) and parvo is part of it, if you keep up with them every year the dog should be protected. I would imagine this cost would increase greatly if the vet was trying to treat the dog/puppy once they had contracted the disease. I was at the vets this morning and she was talking to someone about this outbreak saying the number of cases was increasing.

pepe

There is a very serious Virus in Animals sweeping our area its called Parvovirus and it is highly contagious . I have just looked on Google and its frightning . My Friends took three Puppies to a Vet and they told them they have got the Virus and they might have to be put down they also said there has been lot of  dogs that have been put down lately. Why have we not been made aware of this Virus the Vet has told my Friends that the cost would be 200 euros to inject the Puppies with no Guarantee that they will survive is it about money again if this Virus has been going around for weeks . Has any Member heard of this outbreak of Parvo .