Identify this plant please?

Started by knowall, April 02, 2009, 21:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowall

It has gone to seed and looks like this now:

[attachment deleted by admin]

knowall

The Spanish name for the plant is salsifĂ­.
From our dictionary:

SalsifĂ­ m. Planta compuesta, de raiz fusiforme, blanca y comestible (trapopogon pratense)
I looked up trapopogon pratensis on google images, they are yellow flowers, very similar plant.
The trouble is that the local people have slang names for many plants which don't appear in many dictionaries!
;D

shadeseeker

Quite by chance, a just over a week ago, whilst out walking among the Almond trees to the South of Los Marcelinos I met two Spanish men who were collecting two varieties what I presumed were herbs. My Spanish is very limited but one of the old gents showed me the "shoots" that he had collected and I think that he was telling me that they were both pleasant to eat and were medicinal. He explained that it was the whitish root part that was best. My interpretation of what he called it was "roe" although your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the spelling!
So far had no luck finding anything that matches in a Spanish dictionary! I think that it probably could have been the plant we are at present discussing, but despite looking today in the place that those chaps were collecting  I failed to find any. It could be that they have all now seeded and died away.
Tom
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

shadeseeker

Tried to attach two pictures but system threw away the first!
Try again:-
Tom

'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

jim

This is also known as the "Oyster Plant" it grows wild here in Spain and is classed as a weed. The roots are the edible part and tastes of, surprise surprise Oyster. :tiphat:
DILLIGAF

shadeseeker

Hi Folks! Just returned from walking the dog, birdwatching, hunting wild flowers and chatting to neighbours.
First of all another link that you may all find interesting:-
http://www.arthurleej.com/a-salsify.html
Also this one (same author) which lists lots of interesting diversions!
http://www.arthurleej.com/a-weedsmonth.html

knowall

Well done shadeseeker, thanks very much.
http://pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Tragopogon+porrifolius
The seed heads are phenomenal, and will post a picture when they are developed.
Apparently they are edible and medicinal.
Maybe they had it planted here years ago at the old farmhouse.

shadeseeker

Hi I have been looking on the net and I think I have found the flower. Its called Tragopogon Porrifolius a type of Salsify. I will try and post a piccy of it but will have to wait for the other half to come back from dog walking as he is better at this type of thing
The piccy on the forum looks like it has lost its petal and just showing the center of the flower and its outside sepals.
Heres hoping :clap:

knowall

Thanks for the suggestions, nothing really fits yet.
Tried several books, and T'Internet of course.
???

shadeseeker

Hi could this plant be a type of wild Eschscholzia which when cultivated is a type of California Poppy.
They grow wild in the campo.

judi bk

I don't know either but I want one - looking at the stalks and grassy leaves woner if it is related to garli, onion, alium

not even sure they are related!!

knowall

This is growing in our garden, a self set. Anyone know what it is please, because knowall doesn't know.  ;D