ants

Started by beverley man, May 31, 2012, 19:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgin

Ants will not "keep down the green fly" quite the opposite - ants farm greenfly and other aphids.  Aphids such the sap from plamts and then excrete a sweet stick fluid with ants love - so much so that that they will put aphids on your plants and the guard them against predators (ladybirds etc.).

maireh

Thank you, falcon, will have a go.
Maire

falcon

Maybe you should use a systemic pesticide on the roses
If you look up "ant" on a browser you find that they have massive colonies up to 100 million ants that leaves huge hole when they leave as you will find in the campo when a large hole appears

maireh

It worries me as well.  I have millions of them all over my rose bushes. I did think they would keep down the greenfly and so didn't worry... but now, not so sure as my rose buds don't seem to be opening as they should.
Maire

falcon

If you have fruit trees they can devistate the fruit better to put an insect band round the tree trunk
You can make a band out of sticky tape or simply cover a small strip of the trunk with vaseline
I assume that as they take so much material underground that any damage done to the treat is compensated for by the fertilzer effect

beverley man

HI question do ants damage plants  or do they do some good as i have never had so many as this year. thans peter
beverley man