GBS is moving

Started by tracy Head, January 08, 2009, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Casa Montes  and anyone else who can't  find it  You do have a   £   sign  if you'r on a Spanish Keyboard   Press  and  hold    Alt  and press 0163  it prints a £ sign.    Or drag  Character Map  from accessories down onto your taskbar  there are many signs in there.
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

Sharon

I'm pleased G.B is moving nearer Mercadona, and I've heard that the shop is going to be larger than where it is at present. I don't see any difference re parking, except that you have the choice of parking in the car park at Mercadona, going to G.B.'s first, before doing your shopping in there, there's only a time limit, after you have finished your shopping. They have already started to reduce their prices, which is good, and the way I see it, the more competition there is, the better.
Sharon Baldwin ( married to Colin Baldwin , Cool Solutions)

LittleRichard

We have always used gbs, the prices are not to much and we only spend about 20 euros a week in there for things we really miss.
I think its bad that they are moving. We pop in every tue after we use the veg market and they are normaly busy. There is no way we will try and park by Mercadona on a tue and we do all our Albox shopping on a tue.
The building they are moving to is alot smaller than the shop they are in now and i cant see how they will fit in the butcher. (not that we use him)
There is alot of English that dont go to Mercadona but use the other supermakets in albox.
AND..... if we do park on that side of Albox, then we might as well go to Cost Cutters as its cheaper than GBs on alot of items.
VIVA ESPAÑA

Claire

The Lunchbox has also started selling a few English items I got a box of Walkers crisps before Xmas for 5€.

I´m sure there were 32 bags in it - but, it was still cheap I thought.

skippyboy

I agree...it´s cheaper in the Uk  now....I always bring my full allocation of weight allowance (30kg - frequent flier) as goodies from home...and make do with 10 kg hand luggage for clothes....

casablanca

My experience is that things (including food) are quite a bit cheaper in the UK at this moment in time especially if you factor in the exchange rate ;)

judi bk

They have Coleman's horseradish at more realistic prices in Charter at Arboleas

Babyboomer

Quote from: "nicki"..............................................
Then again I think food here in general is very expensive. Definately not cheaper than the UK at the moment.

Interesting Nicki - I don't agree that prices are cheaper in the UK than here. I guess it depends on what you put in your shopping basket. I have been back to UK 4 times in last year after moving out here at the beginning of 2008. I do virtually the same basic shop each time and noticed increases each time my basic shopping bag has been
milk, bread, orange juice, bacon, some fruit, tv dinner.  I buy Tesco's own brands as they are cheaper and just as good.
I shop in Tesco's and March 2008 it was just under ten pounds my last trip at end of October it was just over eleven pounds.
I will be back in Cheltenham 1st February and will price the shopping basket again. Certainly fresh meat, veg and fruit are significantly better quality and cheaper here and makes up much of our diet both here and when visiting the UK. Processed foods tend to be more expensive and they have gone down in the last year in the UK. BoGoF's (buy one get one free) can significantly reduce the cost of the shopping but of course we don't see the competition here to create that.
BGS is pricey - we tend only to shop there for speciality items e.g. Colman's Horseradish sauce - out of stock this morning.

I wonder what other people's view are on this.
Mark Drew email:mark1drew at gmail.com El Prado, Arboleas.

nicki

I am glad they are finally reducing the prices. Might pop in now.

Casa Montes

When I bought some 1 Pound (sorry don't have a pound sign) products in GB's  last week the girl on the till explained to me that because of the exchange rate they were lowering the pound marked products to

1 pound = 1.50€

and charged me accordingly.

As for the premises I agree that parking around that area is hard work but think the new location is better positioned, I would be more likely to go in GB's after going to Mercadona & Rizos than were it is a the moment.

Lianne
The purpose of our life is happiness: The Dalai Lama

Don't look down on people unless you are helping them up.

nicki

I noticed the prices never came down when it was a pound to euro. They were still charging 2€ for every £. I know that they have to add transport and profit but that is a bit steep.
Then again I think food here in general is very expensive. Definately not cheaper than the UK at the moment.

Clare53

Thats right a bit of compitition never hurt anyone there prices could do with coming down!!!

Old Homegrown

There is LOADS more parking there! Only Tuesdays are a nightmare for parking and to be honest it's the same were they are at the moment. The other location was tucked away. Avenida America is to be the new main drag in to Albrits once the new bridge connects to Avenida Igualidad.
Maybe the fact that there are more shops offering similar goods might meen that they are forced to charge a little less?
Happy new year to all the forunm members.
Old Homie.

tracy Head

I just been told by a lady who works in GBs in Albox that they moving at the end on Jan they will be moving to the building next to the pie shop and the new butcthers.
I think this is silly as there is not much parking there and there is another english shop 5 mins away, 2 good butchers and mercadona. We go shopping to mercadona once a week and there is no way we are going to park there 2 times a week and after i do my mercadona shop, i think i would be to wore out to go to GBs.

Tracy