Compliance with butane ( Repsol ) regulations

Started by peteryaxley, October 02, 2011, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybeen

'chill'
From Cantoria or the ITV roundabout toward Albox on the 334 the first on your right is the car scrap yard second on the right is the Repsol office and depot

chill

Tetley, is that from Albox towards Cantoria road or from Cantoria? Thanks

jimmybeen

I spoke to two Spanish neighbours yesterday and they both said it is indeed a legal requirement to have the certificate renewed every five years but they said I should never have it completed by another company other than Repsol as I may be overcharged. This just underlines all that we have said earlier and in other posts, that the cold callers are out to rip you off (oops sorry overcharge) but it seems the certificate THEY issue is often just as genuine as the Repsol one, yet it can cost five times as much!

bobthelook

I have been informed that my question is covered by (although maybe someone who reads spanish could confirm):   
www.scribd.com/doc/40251257/Real-Decreto-919-2006-Sobre-GLP&ei=PPKKTrTBEMSEhQfSpsDwAw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DReal%2BDecreto%2B919/2006%2B%2BArticulo%2B4-2%2BITC-ICG%2B07%2Bdel%2BReglamento%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSEH_enGB444GB444%26prmd%3Dimvns

Real Decreto 919/2006
Articulo 4-2 ITC-ICG 07 del Reglamento.

Every five years                      So it looks like I may have to contact CEPSA after all!
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

bobthelook

I don't doubt that you require a gas certificate if you have a gas appliance.  When you apply to have gas containers you have to have your installation checked by the gas company and they issue a certificate but the question is,  do you legally have to have it checked every 5 years and a new certificate issued by the said company or other qualified company? Self interested parties will always say yes to this question but is it a legal requirement?  I shall make some enquiries as I suspect that more people don't have a re-newed certificate than those that do!
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

sallyb

Bobthelook We asked our insurance company this week about the gas certificate as it did not state on policy that we needed one. The reply was that by law you must have said certificate. Hope this clears the matter up.
Phyll

jimmybeen

In answer to 'BobTheLook' When I got my last certificate I was told by the Repsol shop lady that it was a legal requirement to have one if gas bottles and / or gas appliances are in the premises, (nothing to do with insurance cover) The several cold callers (gas engineers) that I've had over the years have told me the same, though I'm not sure of the consequences if you are caught without one.

DaveL

If I remember correctly, there was a gas explosion at a house in La Alfaquia a few years back which was due to a gas pipe burning through on a cooker. There was no Gas Safety Certificate, and the Insurance would not pay out. It was relatively big news, with a casualty, but I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

The inspection is for safety, and during my last by Repsol, I had to make adequate ventilation to a gas cupboard in the kitchen for the cooker. This I did with a drill as she wrote out the certificate.

I have regulators where the date is stamped under the gas pipe connector.

As Tetley states, it does give peace of mind, and, something less for the Insurance Company to wriggle out of.

DaveL

Mercurian

I really don't know if an insurance company would refuse to pay out if you did not have a gas certificate, but I certainly don't consider €12 a year extortionate for the peace of mind.

bobthelook

Quote from: Tetley on October 02, 2011, 18:30:51 PM
I have heard of this being required on such a claim.
60€ is very reasonable even if it is just for the certificate.
Has anyone got anything other than anecdotal evidence that an insurance company requires this certificate?  Insurance companies do require that a property is maintained safely and by ensuring the tubing is in date and the regulator works I see no problem with compliance and simply doing it yourself (3€ from market for 1.5 m tube dated 2016 with clips.  Personally I think that 60€ is extortionate,  (as was the 100€ Gestagua made me pay for a boletin when I bought my property  for turning up having a look and going away!).  

Tetley

I have only seen a date on the orange tubing....

As for the certificate I personally thnk it is for peace of mind, especially if you need to make an insurance claim in relation to an accident to do with the gas......

I have heard of this being required on such a claim.

60€ is very reasonable even if it is just for the certificate.

Andrea
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Peter,

I have never yet seen a Regulator with a date on it - I think they work or they do not !.

Why replace it if it is working OK - and unless you wish to pay way over shop prices - replace your own with new you buy yourself - Tubing  = .50 cents per metre from any Ferrateria's / Regulators € 6.00.

Then they can only charge you for the Inspection Certificate - which in 12 years and two properties Sold I have never been asked for either by Inspectors or Solicitors of buyers ????
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

peteryaxley

Hi all,
   Ta for all comments, I can see what looks like a date on the pipe ( 2010 ) but cannot see anything like a date on the regulator, guess the easiest way is to get Repsol in and let them do what is necessary.
  Again thanks for all replies,

Peter

Mercurian

60 euros is what I was charged.  I phoned for my appointment and the tecnico phoned to let me know when he was on his way.  Very nice guy who spoke a little bit of English so we managed fine with my little bit of Spanish!

Tetley

There is a main REPSOL office on the right hand side immediately after the motor scrap yard in Albox driving towards Albox ...go in there and arrange for your inspection....Very helpful, I went there on Thursday,

They said the inspection will be 60 euros including a certificate, whether there are 1 or more gas bottles....just waiting for them to ring to say when they are coming. I will let you know the outcome.

Andrea
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

jimmybeen

I think it's worth reminding everyone NOT to be taken in by Cold Callers
This has been posted recently, but the gas men (sometimes bogus sometimes not) who cold call WILL rip you off
Only allow a Repsol agent in to complete the statutory 5 year inspection after making an appointment with Repsol then as stated above you will not be over charged !!!

Mercurian

If your inspection is organised direct with Repsol then you will not be charged unnecessarily.  I got my new gas certificate a couple of months ago and he put new piping on but the regulators were fine.  It took him longer to write out all the paperwork to issue the new certificate than it did to inspect the gas connections!!

jimmybeen

The date on both should be clear to read and if they are in date then the inspection should be OK! If any pipe or regulator date has run out or is about to run out or is not clearly visible then change them 

peteryaxley

Hi all,
We have had a letter from Repsol with reference to the 5 year inspection, wonder if anyone out there knows how to read the lettering on gas pipe and regulator so I can check these out before Repsol arrives.
  Ta a lot
    Peter