Food and bedding

Started by Elle1971, August 15, 2012, 17:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elle1971

Oh yes - and I don't own a coat. Is this something I can get easily and cheaply?

Thanks again

Elle xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

rainbowsheep03

Quote from: EstoyDeRodriguez on August 15, 2012, 18:09:15 PM
Also... can anyone advise the best place for a (second hand?) chest freezer? Hopefully someone will have one for sale when we arrive... but I need to measure some spaces first. I've heard about a place behind the BP garage. Is this place reputable? Do they offer guarantees on second hand goods?

And (sorry... lots of questions)... my hand blender has just died. I'd actually prefer a food processor this time. Where is the best place to get one of those? Or should I just pick up a £15 jobbie in Blighty when I next visit?

And yet nother question - all the food shops are still open here on Sundays, and often into the evenings... as it's a tourist resort. Is that the case there? Am I going into siesta territory?

Thanks again in advfane!

Elle xxx

The place is not behind the bp garage any more. They have moved int a bigger premises on the main road into albox and yo uwill pass it on your left, just before the bp garage. It has an orange door!
They are not second hand goods, but seconds.. as to they may have no packaging, a slight knock or dent but work perfectly fine. We have brought a fridge freezer, hoover, washing machine, stero. From there. All work fine and you get the 12-18 months guarentee. (not 100% sure on how long it is) but you get one.

You can also buy a food blender here. Probably the cheapest around the area.

None of the spanish shops are open on a sunday. The todo shops are sometimes open. The bigger ones. And the english shops until about 2pm.

Elle1971

Also... can anyone advise the best place for a (second hand?) chest freezer? Hopefully someone will have one for sale when we arrive... but I need to measure some spaces first. I've heard about a place behind the BP garage. Is this place reputable? Do they offer guarantees on second hand goods?

And (sorry... lots of questions)... my hand blender has just died. I'd actually prefer a food processor this time. Where is the best place to get one of those? Or should I just pick up a £15 jobbie in Blighty when I next visit?

And yet nother question - all the food shops are still open here on Sundays, and often into the evenings... as it's a tourist resort. Is that the case there? Am I going into siesta territory?

Thanks again in advfane!

Elle xxx

Elle1971

I've been doing oodles of research as some of you know... in preparation for our arrival next week. It's going to be like Christmas for us, as it seems like you guys have a lot more than we have had recently.

I've been trying to find some food costs online. Some of it looks a lot cheaper, compared to what we've been used to for the last 6 years in the Canaries! Great news for us, obviously! But these prices are old - going back to 2009. I tried registering on the Mercadona site, to view their's... but it wouldn't let me. So please could anyone possibly give me some rough prices for the following? And any other general food prices that they think a "normal" couple would buy in their weekly shop. I don't do packet mixes or sauce jars.

Cheddar cheese per kilo
Cheap alternative of cheese (perhaps such as gouda?) per kilo
Litre of fresh milk
Litre of UHT
250 grams of butter
Dried dog food
Chicken breast per kilo
Minced pork per kilo
Minced beef per kilo
Steak per kilo
Eggs per dozen
Bag of spuds

For yonks we've had to do without / get shipped in / pay through the nose... for a number of things. So I'm keen to know if such things are easily (and cheaply) available locally to Albox/Arboleas/Baza... or whether I just keep getting stuff sent over. I guess much of this would normally be found in a speciality food shop.

Vine leaves
Fish sauce
Oyster sauce
Chinese pancakes
Decent spice ranges (not those tiny bottles you get everywhere)
Large bottles of soy sauce
Naan breads

Also... can anyone recommend shops where I can get some bedding (cheap) such as sheets and quilts. We're not bringing our beding sets as they take up too much packing room.

And finally... does Mercadona have a half decent fish counter and meat counter?

Thanks ever so much in advance!

Elle xx