Android Tv Box

Started by Charlie Farley, May 30, 2014, 16:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

Sat changed coming Astra 2G, expected to have very similar beam to 2f and 2e.

Not_Asking_Much

Quote from: RedEyes on June 09, 2014, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: Not_Asking_Much on June 08, 2014, 23:27:50 PM
I have no idea how this functions – it does not record to your Android Box. I think all it does is create a server link to the programme.

If that is true, then surely you are still streaming video over the net, which would make it subject to any poor connection, etc.?  Seems to me, the only way you can guarantee no buffering is to record to your own hard drive.

Blimey.

I can see your logic, but, as I've already mentioned above, it is a LOT more reliable for watching. Don't ask me to explain it.

Using this, we've watched off-peak and it's pretty much perfect. On-peak it is fairly reliable too, but as it isn't 100% we usually don't bother getting 10mins into something only to abandon it. Live on-peak does work at times, but with a very low success rate for us.

I suspect that today, the only way you can guarantee no buffering (for everyday TV) is to chuck a grand at a big dish. However, I understand that August unfortunately sees more sat changes coming.

Rod

Love my Android box. It is not top spec., had it over a year and it is dual core but has 4 usb ports and a sd slot as well. I very rarely use it for live TV, I upgraded to a 1.9 dish for that. What I do use it for is downloading films, tv series etc. through XBMC. Once downloaded can then play back with no buffering etc. Have even started downloading 3d films through Mash Up, they are great and all free.

RedEyes

Quote from: Not_Asking_Much on June 08, 2014, 23:27:50 PM
I have no idea how this functions – it does not record to your Android Box. I think all it does is create a server link to the programme.

If that is true, then surely you are still streaming video over the net, which would make it subject to any poor connection, etc.?  Seems to me, the only way you can guarantee no buffering is to record to your own hard drive.

Not_Asking_Much

No problema!

Good luck.   ;D

Daffy

Thank you very much for your very detailed instructions , NAM.
I will give it a try this evening.
:handshake

Not_Asking_Much

Quote from: Daffy on June 08, 2014, 09:29:24 AM
]Filmon record function is useful. (we registered for free, and do not subscribe to anything)

Filmon recording means approx. 95% guarantee of no buffering I'd say. Live TV watching, as I say about 50/50 which we tend not to bother with, as buffering causes lost words and lip sync problems.

Please can you tell me how to record Filmon?

TO RECORD
You run Filmon with the normal channel display on the LH side.
Just to the right of the channel logo, eg: BBC1, there's a Programme Guide square, clicking on that brings up the 4 day Programme Guide.
For each programme (including 'Now On') on the RH end there's a red circle which you should click if you want to record it.
Come out of the guide.

TO WATCH A RECORDING
In the normal display go to the very top RH corner, click on the 'three square' icon.
In the dropdown list if, at the bottom it says Login, then you'll need to click it and Login. If it says Logout then do nothing.
Click on Recordings.
A list appears showing recorded items you chose, also those scheduled to record.
Click the item you want to watch. The dustbin (far right) deletes an item.
There's a slider bar for fast forward, rewind etc.

NB:
You need to register to use this function (which is free).
You then need to log in to use this function.
There is a limit to the number of items (maybe hours) you can record, I think about twelve hours' worth.
You can actually record a programme that is just finishing or has recently finished, as long as the programme guide shows a red button to click on.
A programme is not available to watch immediately after its broadcast time.

Daffy

]Filmon record function is useful. (we registered for free, and do not subscribe to anything)

Filmon recording means approx. 95% guarantee of no buffering I'd say. Live TV watching, as I say about 50/50 which we tend not to bother with, as buffering causes lost words and lip sync problems.

Please can you tell me how to record Filmon?

RedEyes

Quote from: Not_Asking_Much on June 07, 2014, 18:36:06 PMI simply don't want a PC etc, cluttering up the Living Room

You don't have to use a desktop machine, a laptop or tablet is much the same as your android box.

I'm with you, so far as waiting until the dust settles before making any big money investments in anything TV.

While on the general subject of buffering, which some users experience, it's not entirely a function of their internet speed.  I have a rock solid connection that never falls below 15Mbps, but I still get the occasional freeze.  What causes this, I don't know, but there are plenty of hops between my ISP and the content provider, anyone (or more) of which can affect the overall data rate.  If nothing else, most people will be running a VPN and they almost invariably cause a bandwidth bottleneck.

Not_Asking_Much

We pay for 4meg ayuntamiento internet. Actuals, (approx) at 0200hrs, 22meg, at 0830hrs, 15meg, at 1600hrs, 10meg, and 2100hrs, 5meg. So evening watching is iffy, probably 50/50. It can never be guaranteed though, which is why the Filmon record function is useful. (we registered for free, and do not subscribe to anything)

We sourced our own Android box.

For us, there's not enough time to watch what's available to us via 'record' and say, the XBMC app: 1channel.

I do appreciate though, that if you're an avid sports or F1 fan, or love the soaps, then Android is probably not for you unless you go for maximum meg internet and the highest spec box there is.

senile

We have 2 Android boxes from Androidman.  Both are good.  The only problem we have if the internet speed drops below 4mgs, which is happening less and less since we upgraded.  Loads of films, catch up TV etc.  We also subscribe to the sports channels.  The back up and customer service is excellent.

felipe

Glad yours is ok. We cannot get anything via filmon to work other the USA channels. Yet via my tablet it works fine. That is with 12meg download too!!

Not_Asking_Much

I don't feel it's a matter of disagreeing with other TV watchers, but you do have to bear in mind how individuals' lives and properties are set up.

I simply don't want a PC etc, cluttering up the Living Room. Our fairly low spec Android box adjacent to the TV is (since February) giving us good service for the money. However, we are not TV addicts, so maybe we're easily satisfied.

I find the Filmon 'record' facility is brilliant for watching off peak. That of course will not suit everyone. It's different strokes for different folks.

I'm waiting for the August* sat changes to take place before I throw money at a big dish. Or not...

*probably November of course!  :)

RedEyes

Quote from: felipe on June 05, 2014, 17:30:19 PM
redeyes, I disagree with that.  My android tablet runs filmon via wi fi better than the android box does when it is hard wired. using the same internet provider. I have not been able to get BBC1 on the box for a few days. Yet no problem using the tablet.

Not quite sure what are disagreeing about?

My point was that it was not necessary to buy an 'Android Box' in order to get TV, this can be just as easily done using any computer, running any OS.  So, if you have a computer that can be spared for the purpose, buying an 'Android Box' was a waste of money.

Your problem seems revolve around the different performances of two Android devices, just as you can find performance differences between Windows machines, depending on hardware, configuration, etc.

Optomist

You can download a program called Bluestack to a windows PC or Laptop ,it basically runs Android apps as if they were on a Tablet or smart phone . We find it useful for several Android apps especially WhatsApp as the laptop is much easier to type on than the phone in a long conversation .

Posts saying Filmon etc runs better on my laptop or on my Android box or my Smart phone or wireless never give the whole story . A wireless connection can work better if the processor and memory in a particular wireless device is faster than one that is wired and the wireless signal is as fast or faster than required but as a general rule a wired connection is preferable your removing a potential bottleneck , simply put a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the less links the better .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

felipe

redeyes, I disagree with that.  My android tablet runs filmon via wi fi better than the android box does when it is hard wired. using the same internet provider. I have not been able to get BBC1 on the box for a few days. Yet no problem using the tablet.

RedEyes

The degree of reliability, freedom from freezing, etc., has a lot more to with your internet connection than the type of computer you are using. People who say their Android system is poor would have the same problems using a Windows machine and vice versa.

There's really nothing special about an 'Android Box', it's just a computer that runs the Android operating system, unlike most computers, which run Windows or Mac systems.  You can do anything with a Windows or Mac computer that can do with an Android one, all you need is the right software, without having to fork out for another computer.

marge

I purchased a quad core Android box from E Bay and it works brilliantly. So good in fact that Ive just ordered a second one. Shipped from Hong Kong. I get a maximum of 4 meg Broadband but it works well

SRS SERVICES

We have android boxes through the Android man.  1 at work and 1 at home.  Previously we had a system from a supplier in Mojacar that was similar (through the internet) but did not work at all.  The only problems I have with my boxes is to do with the internet speed.  We also have a large dish installed at home as due to the internet speeds it wasn't always possible to watch what we wanted, but now I wouldn't be without the android box to run along side the dish the films and series on it are great!
SRS Vehicle Services - 950 44 90 95
We repair all makes and models from family cars to high performance sports cars, MPVs, 4WDs and light commercial vehicles. Mechanical and Electrical diagnostics and repairs, clutch, exhaust, and suspension, through to ECU fault code reading and diagnostics.

evansnews

I have to disagree with you Filipe we have got an Android box from the Androidman we wouldn't be without it but we have got a very reliable internet provider in TELPLAY 18mbs we have watched films (new and old) whenever we want, catchup TV, the full set of Game of Thrones, boxing tonight hopefully and best of all the wife gets to watch the soaps, which keeps her happy and that's good enough for me so it's about time people stopped knocking the boxes and started complaining to their internet provider, some companies just cannot cope with the recent upsurge in internet usage throughout Europe and if they cannot provide a decent service they don't deserve to be in business.  I must add that the android boxes are a frustrating piece of kit but once you get used to them they are brilliant.

flintstone

I only wish the England team were half as reliable as my Android box.     :lol:

doreen1

Ours is a silver one too Felipe, sorry I can't be more technical than that. But honestly no problems at all today.
Just a thought I could sell tickets for the England match tonight :whistle:

doreen1

Hang on until I have a look

felipe

I got mine from Android Man too. It is hard wired and not using wi-fi. It continually buffers and freezes.  I have the silver model.

doreen1

We have an android box from Android Man. No probs and if we have any they sort it. Sorry don't know the make.
My father-in-law has been watching his BBC afternoon programmes and no trouble at all, he is watching Pointless as I type.
It may be the quality of the box, or internet. We are with Arboleas Town Hall Internet, again great service.

Good luck in whatever you choose. :wave

felipe

Having used one for 6 months I would not bother. They are a waste of money unless you have superdooper high speed internet of 10 meg or more.  Trying watch BBC this afternoon was a joke, continuous freezing etc.  Laptops and PCs run filmon much better with little or no buffering.  God knows what it will be like trying to watch the England game on ITV through filmon and the android tonight.

Charlie Farley

Anybody know about Android boxes. Which is the best one to buy at the moment if living in Southern Spain please?