Spain's new submarine

Started by rt21, May 09, 2013, 22:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I might be wrong but isn´t that submarine, on display on Cartagena sea front, designed and built in the 1800´s by the Spanish?

gus-lopez

Apparently it will take 12-24months to rectify & they will need to bring in a " foreign expert ".

gus-lopez

Quote from: trebor123 on May 10, 2013, 10:59:50 AM
I understand the problem is with the gearbox. No forward gears but five for reverse!. In typical Spanish mode.

The Italians supplied the gearbox , did they ?   :whistle:

jimmybeen

Quote from: Hawkeye1 on May 10, 2013, 11:35:05 AM
I was told once that all the Spanish Naval vessels had glass bottoms, so that the top brass could review the fleet!

Considering what we did to their fleet back in those days it only seems fair that they try and take the p... out of us now!

'Woden'  "That's from the toughened glass viewing panels in the bottom of the boat. Something to do with the Armada apparently!"

Hawkeye1

I was told once that all the Spanish Naval vessels had glass bottoms, so that the top brass could review the fleet!

trebor123

I understand the problem is with the gearbox. No forward gears but five for reverse!. In typical Spanish mode.

Big Bad John

:police: I was in UK Boats (submarines) for many years and I would like as many tots for the times that 'Jimmy' (1st Lieutenant) got the trim wrong and we were too heavy, sometimes forward sometimes aft, neither were very pleasant but only got stuck on the bottom once for quite a few hours. It took moving all the weight possible, including nearly all the crew (about 70 bods) to the after ends and then everyone jumping up and down until the bows came unstuck from the mud and we surfaced like a rocket!!!! Those were the days!!!!  :tiphat:
BigBadJohn.

sparkiemike

Quote from: rt21 on May 09, 2013, 22:41:06 PM
You couldn't make this up could you.

Apparently Spain has designed it's first submarine for it's navy. After a two year delay in construction  the vessel was ready to be launched. Then someone noticed It was between 75 and 100 tonnes heavier than it should be. Meaning that if it dived it would probably not resurface. It seems that somewhere in the process there has been a miscalculation.

Anyone feel like signing up for it's maiden voyage?

Richard

:wave

bit like the Spanish economy

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:tiphat:
Rules are made for the obeyance of fools & the guidance of wise men

Iberlynx

Sounds like the UK could be involved somewhere given all the military contract cock ups that have happened over the last few decades.

Woden

Quote from: alfie on May 09, 2013, 23:23:58 PM
Is it true that the sub will be based at Corvera, ready to offer rides to the Paramount theme park, that we can all travel to using the new high speed train line?

'Fraid not Alfie

I heard at a boot fair that it is to be based up on the Costa Verde at La Coruna  so that the Skipper can do cruises up the English Channel.  Oh and the extra 100 tonnes ?  That's from the toughened glass viewing panels in the bottom of the boat. Something to do with the Armada apparently!

Woden  :whistle:

alfie

Is it true that the sub will be based at Corvera, ready to offer rides to the Paramount theme park, that we can all travel to using the new high speed train line?

rt21

You couldn't make this up could you.

Apparently Spain has designed it's first submarine for it's navy. After a two year delay in construction  the vessel was ready to be launched. Then someone noticed It was between 75 and 100 tonnes heavier than it should be. Meaning that if it dived it would probably not resurface. It seems that somewhere in the process there has been a miscalculation.

Anyone feel like signing up for it's maiden voyage?

Richard