Transparency in Local Government.

Started by NormanM, September 17, 2012, 17:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanM

Thanks to Sophia's management for the reply.  However, with all due respect, this is not about what YOU are doing, it is about the way the issue was being handled politically.

Where I, or any other voter, has political concerns, it is for the politicians to address them.  Simple as that.  It's called accountability, and it was the lack of accountability the led Roger and his team to inherit the mess that they did.

As far as muck-raking is concerned loafer, if you had read my post carefully, you might have noticed that I have given Roger and his team credit for what they are doing - and I continue to do so.  I do, however, defend my right to raise issues with which I am uncomfortable.
From Normam

Tetley

To be fair to everybody,the whole idea of the 40% brit council was to ensure transperency,i think members of the  local public should ask more questions and will do as Norman has done then this way it keeps everybody in the local town hall  "client loop".

plus it also lets our local poliatciens know that were all intrested in Arboleas & their daily efforts, and helps them understand their not representing a load of "on stand by mode Imigrant robots whom they just switch on every 3 weeks befor the local elections and point them at the polling booth for the vote ;D"

(Rog if yer reading this,its just ti lighten it up a bit luv,keep up the good work  ;) )

ps the tip looks brill well done   :handshake
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

enricot

I would like to compliment Sophia's representative for her clear and explicit response to  the current situation they find themselves in - well done. Also congratulations to Roger Done in his role in the Town Administration - I have great admiration for his obvious ability and honesty and courtesy in his dealings with me when I made enquiries through him. In my opinion, folk of Arboleas, count your blessiongs - you could have got King Log...

montsehighpeak

Well done to Sophias for trying to improve facilities for the local community and create employment.  I was in the same business as Sophias in the UK and it was really hard to get grants and funding just to improve disabled access, never mind provide better community facilities or employment opportunities - we had to jump through hoops of fire to be offered a few quid!  If the vision presented by Sophias materialises, it sounds like a worthwhile use of EU funding. 

Tetley

Well i hope yer get yer grant,i was in buisness in the UK and the times were living in now must be some of the most difficult,to role the self employed & employer dise in.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Walk for Life

As a Director of Sophias we would like to reply to some of the comments. 
We are looking to expand and be able to offer more facilities in the local community. We do not feel that as a village we have enough local rehabilitation, sports and recreational facilities that are affordable and available.  This expansion would give us the opportunity to offer this.  We want to be able to offer a larger variety of exercise equipment for all ages and fitness levels.  We want to increase the facilities for rehabilitation and disability.  We are keen to provide more facilities for children and young kids in the community and more adult classes and social activities for all generations and budgets.  Although Sophias is a private business, it is for the community and those of you who know us and how we work will totally understand this.  As we have high overheads and no scope to expand, Arboleas Town Hall have kindly  represented our request for a grant. The team at the Town Hall have been incredibly supportive and  informative to us.  We do not know if we will get a grant and how much support we will get.   It may all be funded by Sophias but the more support we have the more we can do.   All businesses are able to apply for a grant wherever you live or whatever country you live in.  The grant will not be from Arboleas Town Hall but supplied from the EU.  We will be looking at employing more local people and bringing more clients in from not only other Towns but also other Countries for training, courses, rehabilitation and pampering.  This can only benefit the local area. We will employ more therapists and employ Spanish and English staff.  I understand that the remarks are not personal attacks against us as a company and understand the confusion as to what is going on.  We will however, keep people informed as to when, where and even if the move takes place.   Thank you for your support and patience.  However, we would appreciate any questions regarding Sophias are sent to us by pm so that we can answer them personally and accurately.

eliflor

Roger and the rest of the team you are all doing a fantastic job, working hard for arboleas, it is a shame that there always going to be some people that dont get their information correct or bother to find out facts before blaming the local goverment of corruption, keep up the good work

NormanM

Let's be clear about this, I am not accusing any of the current administration of corruption - indeed I admire much of the work they are doing.

However, I would have thought that there might have been some public consultation over the ultimate use of municipal facilities for private business.

I know that Roger and his team have a lot to do, and criticism can sting, but Roger has been a politician long enough to know that it is to be expected.  If the electorate does not query from time to time why things are as they are, then accountability goes out of the window and we deserve what we get.

I have not suggested that every project should be a matter for public discussion - but I do think this should have been.
From Normam

Tetley

I dont think anybody minds Norman questioning our elected councilours,but if folks are going to infare by assosiation that Roger is corrupt because other polies are ie ours in the uk milking the ex,s then i think its unfair .

as for the project & buildings & grants & uses ,why not just go into the town hall and question the Mayor & councilors in person ? and then report the info back on here.

:handshake

anyway to lighten it up a bit,here is Victor Meldrew with the plant in the bog  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AfrYERbDJA

pamela

I am in total agreement with NormanM on this subject, in Rogers reply he has written:

' We have discussed with Sophias the possibility of their expanding into the nave, which we expect will be surplus to requirements, and this is included in the project currently being considered by PRODER.
Sophias approached us some months ago for help in finding premises to expand their activities.
We decided that, as a local business offering a valuable service to the community, and employing local people, it was a venture which would be in the long term interest of the town.'

The Nave as I understand and so do many others was built for the community to use as a community centre - for public events and for general use for groups to use and now he sees it as 'surplus to requirements' !!!

There are many other buildings un -used in the area  - why not use one of these for Sofias ???????

loafer

You would think some people could find a more productive hobby than muck-raking ???

ianv

Roger in reply to your comments no i am not the person mentioned and if you read my post it does not mention Arboleas Coucillors it states my personal view that i prefer to tar all politicians with the same brush.

Tetley

Yer to be fair i think this is been a bit unfair on Roger,i had a town hall issue 10 days ago and within 35 min Roger manged to get a meeting sorted with my self/ Mrs the mayor and 3 councilors,i dont always agree with him,but he is deffinatly doing his best.

:tiphat:

sallyb

Well said Roger. Why are people always prepared to tar people with the same brush.
Phyll

Roger

Ianv is accusing Arboleas Councillors of corruption, without any specific justification.
This is clearly an accusation against the ruling group of a criminal act.
He should justify such an accusation.
Since we, as Councillors, are known, I consider that it is reasonable that ianv confirms that he is Ian Venables of El Rincon.

Regarding the original question regarding Sophias, I have already explained the situation but will do so again.
Sophias, like all other organisations, are free to submit a request for a grant to develop or expand their business. This grant is not to the Town Hall (although in the interest of helping local businesses we will try to assist) but it is made to PRODER, the regional development and tourism organisation.
Other businesses have made and received such grants, such as Amigos Bowling and the Castillo Restaurant.
Whether Sophias are successful or not depends on PRODER.

We have discussed with Sophias the possibility of their expanding into the nave, which we expect will be surplus to requirements, and this is included in the project currently being considered by PRODER.
Sophias approached us some months ago for help in finding premises to expand their activities.
We decided that, as a local business offering a valuable service to the community, and employing local people, it was a venture which would be in the long term interest of the town.

No contract has been signed with Sophias at the present time.
Any contract would have to protect the interests of the whole community.

In my opinion Arboleas need local businesses to expand and it is the job of the Town Council to assist them.

I do not see how anyone could accuse us of lack of transparency when the Urban Councillor published this information, and I have expanded on this report.

The Town Council has to make decisions on a daily basis on many issues. This includes buying land for expansion of the new Medical Centre, buying land for installing the new sewage plans, contracting a company to install the sewage plants, signing a contract for tarmacing the roads in Arboleas, signing a contract with a local technician to carry out the catastral revision, signing a contract with a company to help prepare the urban plans, employing additional staff to carry out work, sub contracting work to companies ....
Councillors are elected to carry out these issues on behalf of the people.
The suggestion by Norman and ian is that we have to consult on every transaction to avoid the charge of corruption.
This is impossible.
People will judge us in May 2015, although I sometimes wonder why I go to the Town Hall every day, because there are always people who did not want the job but are eager to criticise.

CT

Norman: You obviously know about this but some of us don't. Perhaps you could explain a bit more about how the
council is apparently funding Sophia's.

ianv

Best of luck with your answer Norm but you know that the politicians always say one thing to get your votes and do the complete opposite when they get in. I will put my mortgage on you not getting a satisfactory answer because despite all the rhetoric they spout, tarring them all with the same brush of corruption is probably the safest way to know where you stand.

NormanM

Many of us who voted for the current ruling party in the Town Hall had hoped for genuinely transparent and accountable government.

Indeed to a much greater extent that before, we are getting that.  However, | am still concerned about the taxpayers (in the widest sense) funding of the expansion of Sophias business into what is, in effect, a municipal facility.

Let me make it completely clear - I have no issue at all with Sophia's as business.  I DO have an issue that this has been decided behind closed doors (echoes of the previous administration) without, as far as I can see, any other competitor being invited to bid for the project.

Simple questions:

Why is this being presented to the electorate as a fait accompli?  In other words - this is what we have decided, and sod you.

Was any other business invited to make a bid for the use of this municipal space?  And if not, why not?

Was the possibility of grant aid made public or furnished to any other business in the area who might possibly have been interested?  If not, why not?

An answer would, I am sure, be appreciated by those who voted for you.
From Normam